Latest post Fri, May 1 2020 12:48 PM by luca.mg. 25 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 30 2020 8:16 PM In reply to

Re: Quicktime Reference Replacement Workflow

NYnutz:
    MXF op1a export directly from a sequence + external transcode for other deliverables is a much better solution.  
    Or MOV. Uses the same UME now.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 1 2020 8:13 AM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 513
    • Points 6,555

Marianna:
    so many bug questions... no one is reading the doc's....so Marianna has so little time Huh?

I did Marianna Geeked I thinkEmbarrassed

Mercer:
    I think the method is to export to OPA1 now?

You're doing a fab job as everYes

MC with Symphony option, 2020.4, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P3200/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 1 2020 8:27 AM In reply to

Be interesting for others to do this test but for me with a short sequence:

Transcoded to DNxSQ already then SAS export took 4 seconds

Exported using UME MOV at DNxSQ took 6 seconds 

I need to find a longer sequence to test on.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Fri, May 1 2020 8:59 AM In reply to

OK tested on a longer sequecne and SAS is still twice as fast as the same resolution MOV UME export (for me on windows)

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

• Fri, May 1 2020 9:06 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,716
    • Points 67,035

Pat Horridge:
    Be interesting for others to do this test but for me with a short sequence

Hi Pat, sequence duration?

UME export of an H.264 1280x720 25 fps MOV file for client approval out of a 1080p 25 fps 27:30 minutes sequence took some 30ish minutes. QT ref and Squeeze was remarkably faster, but I understand that we'll have to wave goodbye to QT ref, sadly.

Symphony 20.06, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Fri, May 1 2020 9:32 AM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • UK
    • Posts 513
    • Points 6,555

Maybe I'm missing something here but I can still do QT ref export in 2020.4 - the OP seems unable to but it seems you too, Luca, can. Just to be sure I wasn't going mad, I just QT refed a short sequence -the template is still there - opened SS Pro 11 and imported it, everything as normal. I do still obviously have QT 7.7.9 installed.

MC with Symphony option, 2020.4, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P3200/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 1 2020 9:53 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,716
    • Points 67,035

If You uninstall old QuickTime You'll loose QT ref out and SAS, and You'll have to uninstall it sooner or later.

http://resources.avid.com/SupportFiles/attach/WhatsNew_MediaComposer_v20.4.pdf

Symphony 20.06, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Fri, May 1 2020 10:17 AM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • UK
    • Posts 513
    • Points 6,555

luca.mg:
    You'll have to uninstall it sooner or later.

It doesn't actually explicitly say that although clearly the full move to ume implies it. What it does say is:

Note that if you use v2020.4 on a system with QuickTime still installed, you may not experience any immediate changes to working with files that rely on QuickTime.

• Fri, May 1 2020 10:36 AM In reply to

My test was on a 12 minute HD sequence. Already transcoded to Dnx.

Avid have made it clear Avid support for QT will be removed in a future release. But no mention of when. If windows still supports 32 bit apps then its possible you could still keep QT installed but when Avid remove support it will be of little use.

If you are a Mac user on an older OS than Catalina and have QT installed you will still have QT ref and SAS. Its only Catalina users who only have UME now. or windows users who don't have QT installed.

But clearly we will use QT in the future so its worth finding the best workflows now.

• Fri, May 1 2020 10:48 AM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • UK
    • Posts 513
    • Points 6,555

Pat Horridge:
    Avid have made it clear Avid support for QT will be removed in a future release. But no mention of when.

OK but QT Ref + SS is still quicker and more efficient than anything else, so let's hope when they do they make the workflow clear and better, because this thread proves that is not yet the case. 

• Fri, May 1 2020 12:48 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,716
    • Points 67,035

QT ref (and SAS) is achieved via the QT libraries, thank god this obsolete piece of code is going to be replaced by UME. As per the What's new file:

Not currently supported with UME
    •Support for 3GP, 3G2, AVI*, AU, BMP**, DV, GIF, MID, MP2, MPE
    •Support for linking to MOV of MP4 with Meridien, MPEG 50, DV, MPEG 4 (H.263), Apple None, Apple Intermediate, DVCPro, PNG***
    •LiveLink •DMF (Dynamic Media Folders)
    •QuickTime Ref support
    •SAS (Same As Source)

my hope, given the word currently, is that QT ref and SAS will be possible in a future release, don't want to break the rules by speculating here...

peace luca

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller