Latest post Fri, May 1 2020 1:20 PM by Roger Shufflebottom. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 29 2020 4:46 PM

Interlace oddness in 2020.4 exports

So - enjoying 2020.4 - time for an export (OS 10.15.3). H264 in a MOV container - this looks like it will save my students some work if we can do this directly without level shifts etc. Working in a 1080i/50 project, I exported. Looks good. Let's open it in QuickTime Player. I expected to see some interlaced nastiness on my computer screen, but no. Looks good. Let's go back to 2019.11 on a different partition. Nearest I can get is QT export using H.264 as a codec. Open in QT Player ... horrible interlace artifacts as might be expected (see screenshots). Looks like exporting in this way from 2020.4 either deinterlaces or drops a field. Interesting.

iMac i5 27", 40GB RAM, OS 10.14.6 with Symphony 2020.6, BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.14.6 with MC 2018.12.12 and BMD... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Fri, May 1 2020 9:25 AM In reply to

Re: Interlace oddness in 2020.4 exports

Having tried this carefully again, and checking the exports back in to Media Composer, the files are interlaced and I can step through the fields. OTOH, when opened in QuickTime Player, no field artifacts can be seen (none of the combing that can sometimes be seen).

iMac i5 27", 40GB RAM, OS 10.14.6 with Symphony 2020.6, BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.14.6 with MC 2018.12.12 and BMD... [view my complete system specs]

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Fri, May 1 2020 12:31 PM In reply to

Do you QT player set to single field only?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Fri, May 1 2020 12:57 PM In reply to

Can't find that option in the current QT Player. I think it is in the older QT7 Pro but I don't have Pro. More observations coming shortly ...

• Fri, May 1 2020 1:20 PM In reply to

So - more investigations (screenshot of my settings below).

1) The MOV/H264 file as exported can be linked back into MC 2020.4 where it plays nicely and is interlaced with the fields in the correct order.

2) The exported file will play correctly in Apple QT Player (v10.5) and in QT7. QT Player does not display any interlace artifacts but that may be because (based on the very few export options) everything is assumed to be progressive. In QT7 (had to go back to a Mojave installation) it plays but does show interlace artifacts.

3) Media Composer 2019.11 running under Mojave will not play the file at all. It stalls and throws errors.

4) Sony Catalyst Browse will open the file but playback is very erratic - it jumps backwards and forwards, plays parts too fast and repeats sections.

5) VLC (under Mojave) plays OK. No difference in appearance whether or not the deinterlace option is on or off.

6) Premiere Pro CC2019 plays fine and both fields are recognised.

Our usual way of exporting for handin at my university is MXF out of Avid followed by recompression in Adobe Media Encoder. This works fine but I'm intrigued as to what is going on with this useful direct method.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller