Latest post Sat, Apr 25 2020 3:16 PM by Kyler. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 24 2020 2:05 PM

• Kyler
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 26 2014
    • Boudreau
    • Posts 84
    • Points 950

Audio set to -20 -- Seems really low

I'm keeping my dialog and such mixed at around -20 with other sound peaks maxing at -14.

But I have to crank the volume on my Mac almost all of the way up just to make it loud enough. Am I doing this too low?

It isn't for broadcast, but it is for a film festival and general YouTube playback.

Just wanna make sure I'm doing this right. Thanks for any feedback!

Macbook Pro / G-Raid Shuttle [view my complete system specs]

kyler boudreau | kylerboudreau.com

• Fri, Apr 24 2020 8:53 PM In reply to

• Jim
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jun 3 2012
    • Bloomington, IN
    • Posts 21
    • Points 225

Re: Audio set to -20 -- Seems really low

If not for broadcast I'd aim higher- more for around -12 for average dialog levels. (But that's just me.)

Media Composer 6.0.3, MacPro(4,1), 2 x 2.26 Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 16GB RAM, OS 10.8.2, NVIDIA GeForce GTX680 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 24 2020 9:07 PM In reply to

• Kyler
    • Not Ranked
    • Boudreau
    • Posts 84
    • Points 950

Thanks Jim.

So why are broadcast requirements so low? I don't get it.

• Fri, Apr 24 2020 9:55 PM In reply to

• Kyler
    • Not Ranked
    • Boudreau
    • Posts 84
    • Points 950

I just found this on a forum:

Different audio application have different representations for loudness. Too loud in FCPX, according to Apple, is 0dB to +6dB. From +6dB to +12dB we're talking hearing damage. Basically, anywhere you see yellow or orange(red) in the audio signal in the audio waveform, it's getting too loud. That said, sometimes you need loud, so it depends on the sound. The only thing you MUST NOT allow is clipping (audio so loud that it distorts — red, flat peaks.) As a "rule of thumb" -- "normal conversation" levels should be around -12dB to -10dB give or take. Use your ears. Set the mac's system volume level at 50%. Using headphones your audio should be "comfortable" (and clear) at those levels. Let the end user increase the system volume to their liking. If you need to bring intermediate levels up a little, use the Audio > Levels > Logic > Adaptive Limiter. You can limit the overall volume while increasing the gain on quieter signals (it's also a good tool to use to lower the noise floor, if it's not too terribly bad.)

• Fri, Apr 24 2020 10:35 PM In reply to

Actually, you need two things. Most importantly, you need a calibrated audio monitoring system. Meaning that you set it up so that you are listening at a certain fixed level. Then it is very helpful to have some meters that help you read the levels visually.

The second one is of little use without the former.

Broadcast levels aren't low. Music is generally mastered extremely loud, though.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 25 2020 9:43 AM In reply to

• morsey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 12 2019
    • Posts 49
    • Points 595

Minus 20 is definitely too low for online release, you'll find your video way too low in comparison to other popular videos on the platform. I've found that most video's on youtube mix to 0db or near it. I aim to bounce around -8 on the Audio tool then I use a compressor on the master to aim for a peak of around -4... roughly.

• Sat, Apr 25 2020 3:16 PM In reply to

• Kyler
    • Not Ranked
    • Boudreau
    • Posts 84
    • Points 950

Thank you! This makes sense. Mixing everything that low was just weird. I'm doing what you said now and this feels better. All I have to go by is the Command + 1 tool in MC that shows me levels. 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller