Latest post Thu, Apr 23 2020 7:38 AM by Mercer. 24 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 17 2020 3:32 PM In reply to

• R
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Toronto
    • Posts 77
    • Points 1,140

Re: Image outline burn-in on reference monitor

Yes as I said earlier, all the drivers are up-to-date.

HP Z840 Workstation | Intel Xeon CPU E5-2630 @ 2.40 GHZ X 2 | 64 Gigs of RAM | NVIDIA® Quadro® P2000 | Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit | NitrisDX | Facilis Terrablock... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 17 2020 3:41 PM In reply to

One other observation that I had regarding my ghosting issues was that they persisted when I changed input to the monitor. The ghosting was also visible on DVI-D input which was fed from a different PC's Windows desktop. Does your issue disappear when you swap input?

Symphony V6.04 Windows 10 Pro HP Z400 16gbRAM Quadro FX1800 Avid First Windows 10 Pro Hp Z420 28Gb RAM Nvidia Quadro 410 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 17 2020 5:58 PM In reply to

• R
    • Not Ranked
    • Toronto
    • Posts 77
    • Points 1,140

I'm not swapping inputs.  The monitor is strickly used as a reference monitor (HDMI connection from Blackmagic card to BenQ monitor) while editing and nothing more.

HP Z840 Workstation | Intel Xeon CPU E5-2630 @ 2.40 GHZ X 2 | 64 Gigs of RAM | NVIDIA® Quadro® P2000 | Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit | NitrisDX | Facilis Terrablock... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 17 2020 6:10 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,925
    • Points 47,380

I am going to vote strongly on the monitor burn in camp.  Especially as they age.  just google "ips led burn in".

I seen this potential on all monitors I have ever worked with.  And that starts with tube SD.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." 2021 iMac w Big Sur [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Fri, Apr 17 2020 6:28 PM In reply to

• R
    • Not Ranked
    • Toronto
    • Posts 77
    • Points 1,140

If someone from Avid or an individual with advanced knowledge of this type of problem could explain to me how I can fix this, then I can avoid the burn-in camp and potentionally killing my monitor.  Marianna any thoughts?

Thanks,
    -Richard

• Fri, Apr 17 2020 11:09 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,925
    • Points 47,380

It is pretty simple.  Do not leave ANY image on screen for a protracted time.  Kill the feed to the monitor or just turn off monitoring in the Avid sequence.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." 2021 iMac w Big Sur [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Sat, Apr 18 2020 2:29 AM In reply to

• gumbaedit
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Richmond, VA
    • Posts 527
    • Points 7,000

Load up another NLE (premiere, fcp, resolve) and leave an image up on the screen.  Receate the situation with different software.  If you still get burnin, then it's not an avid problem, it's a black magic or monitor problem.

If the monitor has another input, like hdmi, send it a signal from a camera that is stationary.  After a set ammount of time, pan the camera.  If you have burnin, then it's the monitor, not the blackmagic.

6 core Late 2013 MacPro 3.0 gHz, 16 gigs RAM, MC 8.8.5 on OSX 10.12.4, DNxIO, Flanders CM250, BMD Desktop Video version 10.9.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 22 2020 1:47 PM In reply to

• R
    • Not Ranked
    • Toronto
    • Posts 77
    • Points 1,140

Finally had a chance to do some tests on some other NLE systems.  Adobe After Effects, Premiere and Resolve all are fine with the same project settings I am running in Avid.  It is definetly an Avid problem.  As per the previous person's comment, this is not a matter of just dealing with the problem by turning off the screen... I work on graphical elements within Avid.  I have to sit on an image/freeze frame in order to do the graphical build... dealing with clients fingerprints on a screen is nothing compared to what the burn-in of random ghosted images does to the graphic building / the creative process.  

• Wed, Apr 22 2020 2:54 PM In reply to

I'd try rolling the BM driver back.

Having eleminated it as a monitor issue then that implies the image aretefact is being sent down the HDMI cablle to the display.

To confirm this re-create the issue. turn off the display and leave it 10 or 15 mins (however long it takes to normally clear it) Then turn the display back on.

The HDMI signal will still be the same and if it includes this issue it will reappear.

If it does then Avid is either feeding incorrect data to the BM or the BM driver has an issue (you have proved the hardware isn't the issue with other applications.)

Don't forget the BM driver is Avid specific,

It can't be an Avid issue as such as everyone on that build with a BM card would be seeing it.

It could be a corrupt Avid install or a hardware specific issue but thats not going to be easy to prove.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | www.vet-training.co.uk|

• Thu, Apr 23 2020 7:38 AM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 734
    • Points 9,420

You don't say what version of Avid or the BMD driver you are using. On 2019.12 with the latest 11.5 BMD driver, Ultrastudio 4K Mini going out to a SmallHD 1703 P3X plus Sony Bravia client monitor, I have never seen this. Although I always try to clear the monitor output if I take a break, sometimes I have forgotten and have left an image up for over half an hour and I see no image rentention on either screen (or the pc screens).

You say you don't get this with other software, I find that strange. You mentioned 'wireframe' - is your monitor set at too high nits - the SmallHD is capable of around a 1000nits, I have it set to SDR 200-300nits. If a monitor is set too high this can produce what you are experiencing.

MC with Symphony option, 2021.6, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P5200/16GB/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]
Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller