Latest post Thu, Apr 23 2020 7:38 AM by Mercer. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 16 2020 5:42 PM

• R
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Toronto
    • Posts 76
    • Points 1,095

Image outline burn-in on reference monitor

Hey everyone,

I'm currently working with a 1080i/59.94 project on the current version of Avid Media Composer.  For some reason I'm getting a weird image outline burn-in occuring on my reference monitor when I leave a freeze frame on the screen for more than 5 minutes.  When I hit play and continue to edit, the last frame (wireframe) outline will appear overtop of the video... If I change the freeze frame to black for 10-15 minutes, the burn-in will dissapear. This problem seems to occur only in an interlaced not progressive (1080p/29.97) project...  I'm using Intensity Pro 4K to provide the signal for the reference monitor.  I've tested another reference monitor and I get the same result.  All drivers are up-to-date.

Any help would be great.

Cheers,
    -Richard

HP Z420 Workstation | Intel Xeon CPU E5-1620 @ 3.60 GHZ 3.60 GHz | Thunderbolt 2 Upgrade | 32 Gigs of RAM | NVIDIA® Quadro® P2000 | Windows 10 Pro 64... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 16 2020 5:53 PM In reply to

Re: Image outline burn-in on reference monitor

Sounds like a duff I/O box to me.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Thu, Apr 16 2020 6:06 PM In reply to

• R
    • Not Ranked
    • Toronto
    • Posts 76
    • Points 1,095

O..k... What does that mean?  What are my options?

HP Z420 Workstation | Intel Xeon CPU E5-1620 @ 3.60 GHZ 3.60 GHz | Thunderbolt 2 Upgrade | 32 Gigs of RAM | NVIDIA® Quadro® P2000 | Windows 10 Pro 64... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 16 2020 6:10 PM In reply to

Is the I/O box under warrenty still?

Is there another computer you can test the box on?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

• Thu, Apr 16 2020 6:34 PM In reply to

• R
    • Not Ranked
    • Toronto
    • Posts 76
    • Points 1,095

The output is coming directly from the Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K output card as HDMI.  I do not have an I/O box.  The card is over 5+ years old.  

• Thu, Apr 16 2020 6:38 PM In reply to

Sorry hadn't spotted that.

Thats basically an I/O box inside the computer.

YOu could try removing the card and checking the cooling fan and heat sink are dust free and the fan is working.

They do tend to fail and the card overheats.

• Thu, Apr 16 2020 6:41 PM In reply to

• R
    • Not Ranked
    • Toronto
    • Posts 76
    • Points 1,095

Ok, I will take a look at the card tonight after I'm done with today's edit session.  Just out of curiosity, what other options do I have if the Blackmagic card is going belly up? 

• Thu, Apr 16 2020 9:56 PM In reply to

Chuck it out. They aren't repairable.

Couple hundred dollars used on ebay. 

That works out about a dollar a week over 5 years. 

• Fri, Apr 17 2020 12:49 AM In reply to

What kind of monitor do you have ?

I hope it is not an OLED.

MC 2020.6, W10, Gigabyte X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 2080Ti Waterforce, 64GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 17 2020 1:13 AM In reply to

• R
    • Not Ranked
    • Toronto
    • Posts 76
    • Points 1,095

Nope, IPS Monitor: BenQ SW2700PT

• Fri, Apr 17 2020 6:50 AM In reply to

• B3n3d1kt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 24 2020
    • Germany
    • Posts 13
    • Points 130

Have you updated the (BM) driver recently? Error started after a driver update.

I had a problem with a newer BM driver on a qualified system. Going back a version fixed it.

If the fan isn't working, you can try to replace it. The fan and the heatsink looks like a unit. So you would have to find a matching one. Look for "chipset cooler", "southbridge cooler" or "northbridge cooler". For 10-15 € and some work, you should be able to replace it.

MC 2019.12 (Win 10 1909) custom Workstation: AMD Threadripper 3960X (NH-U14S TR4-SP3 + NF-A15), ASUS TRX40-E Gaming, 64GB DDR4-3200 Corsair, MSI RTX 2070... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 17 2020 12:38 PM In reply to

I have experienced exactly the same effect on my Dell S2740L IPS monitor. It's feed from an Black magic intensity Pro (not the 4k version) and if you leave a still frame up for longer than a couple of minutes you get what appears to be a burn in/ghost of the image on the hdmi input (it only accepts 1080i 25).

Initially I thought I had damaged the monitor but leaving either black or playing video through the hdmi for 10 minutes or so sorts the issue out. I think it might resolve quicker playing a flashing image between peak white and black.

I believe it is an issue with some IPS monitors. I've lived with it for several years now and my monitor is still fundamentely fine, just sadly this appears to be a feature.

Paul R

Symphony V6.04 Windows 10 Pro HP Z400 16gbRAM Quadro FX1800 Avid First Windows 10 Pro Hp Z420 12Gb RAM Nvidia Quadro 410 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 17 2020 1:22 PM In reply to

If it is the monitor (but this would then be repliated with all these types on monitors an I've not heard of it before)

Would disabling the Avid HW out when not needed solve it.

• Fri, Apr 17 2020 1:40 PM In reply to

• R
    • Not Ranked
    • Toronto
    • Posts 76
    • Points 1,095

Good to know this is not perminent...thanks for the heads up.  However, this is not a monitor problem, this is a software or hardware issue with the Avid software being the centre of it all.  I inspected the card last night and didn't see any issues...  To be honest, I've noticed this problem many years ago with the first reference monitor I had, but never addressed it.  It was a short project and wasn't something I was going to deal with for long... Now that I have a client that requires me to work constantly in an interlaced project, this ghosting issue is a bit of a pain in the butt / eye sore.

• Fri, Apr 17 2020 2:41 PM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,432
    • Points 61,250
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

Did you update the Black Magic driver? That seems to be the most prudent thing at this point... aside from getting a "new" one on Ebay... Fwiw if it were an Avid software issue, wouldn't others would also experience it?

Mac Pro, 64GB Ram. 1TB SSD system drive, 250Gb SSD external (media) drive. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC 2019.12.1. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller