Latest post Thu, Apr 16 2020 12:34 PM by Pat Horridge. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 14 2020 12:12 PM

• Zingara
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 8 2009
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 55
    • Points 670

Playback freezes 2 seconds in.

Hello,

Have a very strange issue.  My playback will freeze about 2 seconds in, the audio will run for a little while then that will stop as well.  This happens in the source or program monitor, with all footage.  Pretty much has ground me to a holt!  Worth mentioning that this issue has just happened, was working away happily lasy week.  My work delivered more media to me at the end of Friday, so  I consolidated that onto current drive which holds all the media for the show. Jumped on today and hit this issue.  I had three clips which it quaranteed, but I removed and trashed the preference files to create a fresh database.  The media is .mfx.

I'm not sure where to start with identtifing where the issue is. Is it a setting is it media, software, hardware?

I'm on an imac 27-inch late 2014, 10.12.6 Sierra (not asking for update), processor i5 (it's old but been working fine!)

I have two monitors hooked up via thunderbolt, so a three screen layout.

Media is on external drive.  The production has sent me different file numbers not sure if that matters (attached screengrab).

I've tried to exclude the playback monitor, but it freezes in Avid source or program still.  Have disabled the HW/SW (read that could be an issue), tried different footage.  Dumping the database to rescan.  Nothing working yet.

Hope someone can shed some light.

Thanks,

Mac OS 10.15.5 Processor 3.2 GHz 16_Core Intel Xeon W Graphics AMD Radeon Pro Vegas II 32 GB [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 14 2020 12:26 PM In reply to

• Zingara
    • Not Ranked
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 55
    • Points 670

Re: Playback freezes 2 seconds in.

Just got an AvidBinIndexer quit unexpectedly...error, not sure if it's related.

Gwen

Mac OS 10.15.5 Processor 3.2 GHz 16_Core Intel Xeon W Graphics AMD Radeon Pro Vegas II 32 GB [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 15 2020 10:26 PM In reply to

• Zingara
    • Not Ranked
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 55
    • Points 670

Now noticed tha the Quicktime_OPServer (not responding) in console.  Could this be the issue?

Love some advice as it's becoming impossible to work.

• Thu, Apr 16 2020 5:13 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,541
    • Points 64,320
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Take a look at your new sources on your timeline and see if anything stands out, like 4K resolution or a different codec.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Thu, Apr 16 2020 7:21 AM In reply to

• tpowell
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 10 2014
    • Posts 51
    • Points 615

Just some additional troubleshooting ideas. Try to make a new project with new user settings. Use Media Tool to pull in an old file that was working (only one file). If that plays fine, try pulliing in one of the new consolidated files. See if that plays. If so (maybe a longshot), try to open a bin from your old project into the new one. See if those files play. If so, try to open the bin that contains your sequence and see if that plays. If it does, it sounds like a corrupt project. If you get that far and the sequence doesn't play, perhaps a corrupt sequence. You can do the usual splitting up the sequence to see if it is a clip in the sequence. The thing that is puzzling is that it sounds like it is on all files. Good luck with it, and keep us posted!

• Thu, Apr 16 2020 7:34 AM In reply to

• Zingara
    • Not Ranked
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 55
    • Points 670

Could it be a RAM issue?  

• Thu, Apr 16 2020 11:19 AM In reply to

RAM would be my guess. Every media directories database gets loaded into RAM when MC launches.

These grow and grow and eventually they are competeing for system RAM.

Try hiding and numbered media folders that don't have required media in them and then launch MC.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Thu, Apr 16 2020 11:41 AM In reply to

• Zingara
    • Not Ranked
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 55
    • Points 670

I did try hiding media I didn't need, didn't work.  This makes sense though because the issue started when the production handed over the rest of the media I needed, which is just under 4TB.  Wierd though I did try hiding half the media and then made it rebuild the databases but still had that issue.... I'll need another computer I guess because eventually I'll need access to more and more of the media as the show gets cut.

While I have your ear, if I rent a computer and want to install and activate my subscription on it can you clarify the right way to do this.  Don't want to be held up anymore.

Thanks for your help. 

• Thu, Apr 16 2020 12:34 PM In reply to

You make a note of your activation info from your Avid account online or Avid link.

Then deactivate in Avid link. Confirm its not activated.

Then you use that activation info on the new computer.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller