Latest post Wed, Jun 3 2020 11:50 AM by Job ter Burg. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 14 2020 10:25 AM

Finding out Source Settings

Hi,

I have have imported JPEGs and altered the aspect ratio via Source Settings.  Is there a way, once a photo is placed on the timeline, I can go into the photo on the timeline and alter the source settings again if desired?

Thank you,

DC

Asus N55SF Notebook running Windows 10 Home Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB System type... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 14 2020 11:05 AM In reply to

Re: Finding out Source Settings

My workflow for still photos is to use Avid's Pan & Zoom or Boris' Pan & Zoom effect, as both of them let you use the full resolution of the original still photo. I only use the imported still as a placeholder for the effect on the timeline, so it doesn't matter what its aspect ratio is or what source settings were used.

If I were you, I'd look into the Pan and Zoom effect, which is specifically designed for stills.

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Apr 14 2020 11:09 AM In reply to

As mentioned no not directly. You can batch import and override the original settings.

But the Pan and Zoom effect allows more control.

or AMA link the soource file and use frameflex to manipulate (you get less control then Pan and zoom but it maybe all you need)

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Wed, Apr 15 2020 2:26 PM In reply to

Hi Dave,

Can you clarify this?  What, am I importing then adding Pan & Zoom effect on top of the phot?  I'm not quite sure exactly what detail this is?

D.

Asus N55SF Notebook running Windows 10 Home Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB System type... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 15 2020 2:47 PM In reply to

Supermandan1:
    What, am I importing then adding Pan & Zoom effect on top of the phot?

I'm not Dave, but here's how this works. Say you're working in a 1920x1080 project and you import a still photo that's 4000x3000. That photo will get squished down to 1920x1080, and then it'll get all pixelated if you try and zoom in to some detail of it. Pan & Zoom avoids this.

Instead of importing, you use the effect to link to the original photo. First, though, you have to have something in the timeline to apply the effect to. This can be filler, or another clip, or whatever else. What most people do is import the same photo so you'll have a visual reference and also so you can see the file name of the original photo on the timeline.

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Thu, Apr 16 2020 11:21 AM In reply to

Sorry Dave, that was a Rodney moment.

Can you fully detail the process on this one?  I'm still a bit confused.

D.

• Thu, Apr 16 2020 11:38 AM In reply to

• Mon, Jun 1 2020 12:35 PM In reply to

How to import photos economically?

Hi,

On the back of my previous post (see here, https://community.avid.com/forums/p/199208/892721.aspx#892721) I'm puzzled, first of all, about how best to import photos.  For instance, I have a JPEG at 11.5MB (originally a RAW file processed in Lightroom) that when linked to and then transcoded at DNxHD 185 becomes a 672MB file, transcoded at DNxHD 120 becomes 444MB file, but when simply imported at DNxHD 185 becomes a 10.2MB file, and imported at DNxHD 120 becomes a 6.9MB file.  For storage it is pretty obvious which choices to go with, but somewhere along the line I have become confused regarding the difference between importing and transcoding. 

Could someone please give me both a simple "Janet & John" answer explaining this difference, plus a more technical reason, so that I may get the difference stuck in my head?

Thank you,

DC

• Mon, Jun 1 2020 1:26 PM In reply to

Re: How to import photos economically?

Hi,

I merged your threads together.

You're still confusing the still photo workflow with the video workflow you're used to. Here are a couple of things to know: (for those of you who are experts in this sort of thing, I'm simplifying a lot to try and avoid confusion)

1. Still photos are often much larger than the 1920x1080 frame size of your Avid HD project. 

2. Everything you import into your 1920x1080 Avid HD project becomes 1920x1080. So if you start with a still photo that is 4000x3000, when you import it into your 1920x1080 Avid HD project, the still photo becomes 1920x1080. This is not helpful, quality-wise.

3. The way around the problem in number 2 is to use the Pan & Zoom effect mentioned earlier in the thread.

4. If you skip Pan & Zoom and just import the still photo, it doesn't really matter which DNxHD resolution you use, because you're already losing much of the original photo's quality when you smoosh it down to 1920x1080 in the import.

Supermandan1:

...somewhere along the line I have become confused regarding the difference between importing and transcoding. 

Could someone please give me both a simple "Janet & John" answer explaining this difference, plus a more technical reason, so that I may get the difference stuck in my head?

When it comes to still photos, I'd suggest you try to learn the pan & zoom workflow. Importing and transcoding are a good thing to know, but they aren't concepts that are helpful in the discussion of still photos in Avid.

• Mon, Jun 1 2020 2:55 PM In reply to

Thank you for getting back to me.  However, I'm just not getting this.  The video link you supplied explains what to do when you've applied the effect, and this is great.  But it just isn't clear how to get started using this method. I get your points re: loss of quality of stills when bringing into 1920x1080, which is why I wish to learn the suggested method.  But what is the exact list of steps before even beginning to keyframe my desired pan & zooms?

Thank you,

D.

• Mon, Jun 1 2020 3:24 PM In reply to

This is how I do it:

1. Import a still image. It doesn't matter what import settings or resolution you use, because this is only going to be a placeholder. Just drag the still from a folder on your computer to a bin in your project.

2. Edit the still image you imported in step 1 onto your timeline. Again, it doesn't matter what it looks like, what the aspect ratio is, just put the still image down on the timeline in the place where you want it to appear in your sequence.

3. Apply the Avid Pan & Zoom effect to the still image clip you put on the timeline in step 2.

4. Park on the Avid Pan & Zoom effect you applied in step 3 and enter Effects Mode.

5. In the Effect Editor, click on 'Import image'.

6. In the 'Please choose an image' box, navigate to the still image you want to see in your timeline and click Open.

7. In the Display drop-down menu, choose Display: Target

8. (optional) Set the Size and Position parameters to position the still image where you want it on screen.

9. (optional) Use keyframes in the Size and Position parameters to move the still image over time.

10. (optional) Use the Velocity parameters to change how the still image moves over time.

That's it.

Here's the more complicated explanation. The first thing you've done is import a still image and put it in your timeline (steps 1 & 2). As said earlier, because you're working in a 1920x1080 project, this makes the still image 1920x1080, which is probably smaller than the original size of the image, making it lower quality.

In step 5 you are telling Avid where the original still image is, and Avid links to it at its original quality. That's why we say the image you import in steps 1 & 2 is a placeholder; you could put anything in this spot, and as long as you point to the picture you want to see in step 5, that's what you'll see in the sequence. The reason many people import the same picture in steps 1 & 2 that they're going to point to again in step 5 is because importing it in steps 1 & 2 means you can see the file name in the sequence, which makes it easier to find when you look for it in step 5.

• Tue, Jun 2 2020 9:21 AM In reply to

Brilliant, thank you.  I will get to this later this afternoon.  Just beforehand, the original placeholder import: can I later delete this presumably now redundant file?  Would I do this from the UI, or just delete the file on the drive and let Avid rebuild the directory?

• Tue, Jun 2 2020 9:56 AM In reply to

Supermandan1:
    Just beforehand, the original placeholder import: can I later delete this presumably now redundant file?  Would I do this from the UI, or just delete the file on the drive and let Avid rebuild the directory?

You can delete it if you want, using whichever method you prefer. If I were in your shoes I'd leave it, because imported still images don't take up very much space.

• Tue, Jun 2 2020 11:14 AM In reply to

Ok, thank you. 

A final question, just so I know what's going on in the background.  Checking my hard drive after the import via Avid Pan & Zoom and I cannot see any new files created, so it appears to me as though no new files correspond with the second import.  After doing all my timeline work and finally outputting the whole to file, what exactly is Avid working with?

• Tue, Jun 2 2020 12:49 PM In reply to

Supermandan1:
    after the import via Avid Pan & Zoom and I cannot see any new files created
    P&Z is linking to the file. If you render the effect, a mediafile of the render is generated.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller