Latest post Mon, Apr 13 2020 11:50 PM by Leo Baker. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 13 2020 8:46 PM

• Leo Baker
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 5 2011
    • London
    • Posts 494
    • Points 5,805

Ghost in the Machine Edits Changing

This is a really weird one, never had this kind of issue before. A friend has a documentary edit, and footage is from FS7, they already started but some footage has the same file name. However these have been copied into Avid Media Composer 2019.12 Mojave 10.14.6 footage is on a Raid in Raid 5 mode. On completing an edit, the bins and project gets backed up to Google Rive, Email etc.Going back to the project the next day, all the footage that was edited, has magically vanished? On restoring the Avid Media Composer backup of the bins and project from Google etc. The footages are still missing the edits made? Also some shots so 8 shots should have different clips, but on the timeline it has the same name and it repeats from the same in/out playing on the timeline?

Could this be a bad raid with a drive failing or an issue having the ame file names on some files? Not al the missing shots have the same name either. It's very strange?

Thanks,

Leo

MacPro6.1 Late 2013 Intel Xeon 12-Core 2.7GHz 64GB RAM AMD FirePro D700 6GB OSX Mojave 10.14.6. Media Composer 2020.5, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.5, Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 13 2020 10:13 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,541
    • Points 64,320
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Ghost in the Machine Edits Changing

You didn't specify if the footage was Avid MXF media or linked to the orignal camera footage so this may, or may not, apply.

Same file names are always a problem with linked footage.  You need to fix that before bringing them into Media Composer.  Avid uses hidden metadata in QuickTime source files (and possibly other file types) to identify linked media even if you duplicate the file and change the name...it's still going to link to the file that was originally linked to that master clip.  That could result is some "issues" if source files had the same name and they weren't changed before linking.

Moving over to the Avid Media side of the equation, Google Drive will act irresponsibly when zipping files in a folder.  Files will get repeated, .ds store files will appear, it will take forever, you'll wonder why it looks different from what you saw on the website.  To alleviate these problems, zip the folder localy before uploading anything of substance to Google Drive.  You'll likely get a warning that Google Drive can't scan for viruses but given what it does to files that it zips that's a less risky choice...for Google Drive. For real world viruses, use precautions!

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Mon, Apr 13 2020 11:50 PM In reply to

• Leo Baker
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 5 2011
    • London
    • Posts 494
    • Points 5,805

Re: Ghost in the Machine Edits Changing

My apologies I forgot to say it's in Avid DNXHD 36 the files. So they are being managed by Avid. The Avid Project file was zipped on the MAc desktop, and sent via Wetransfer. As well as the zip file being sent to Google Drive, I had it turned off the Google Drive sync desktop as took ages to backup to Goolgle drive. 

Is there any tool which will let you re-name a folder from th fs7 when it was recoded into tbe MXF fomrat? As I can't seem to find any software where you can point SOny Catalyst sofware to all your folders from the Sony fs7 and then it can re-name so no duplicates. But I suppose as they are already in a long edit with many editors and files. it will be very difficult to re-name at such a late stage. I am only on the tail end trying to help tidy it up. 

Thanks,

Leo

MacPro6.1 Late 2013 Intel Xeon 12-Core 2.7GHz 64GB RAM AMD FirePro D700 6GB OSX Mojave 10.14.6. Media Composer 2020.5, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.5, Avid... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller