Latest post Fri, Apr 17 2020 2:48 PM by Telegram!. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Apr 10 2020 7:54 AM

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,256
    • Points 14,185

Media Creation - allow MXF subfolder to have prefix

Currently we can only point Media Creation to capture/import/render/mixdown to a drive. Be useful if it could offer the option to have a prefix to the "1", "2" folders to make it easier to manage media.

i.e.

instead of accessing /DRIVE.../MXF/1 then /DRIVE.../MXF/2

it could point to /DRIVE.../MXF/PROJECT1_1 then /DRIVE.../MXF/PROJECT1_1

if it still needs to be all numbers, for some reason, then allow us to prepend an ID number to the '1', '2' etc

Thanks

iMac 5K on High Sierra MC 2020.5, HP z420 MC 2020.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 16 2020 6:40 PM In reply to

Re: Media Creation - allow MXF subfolder to have prefix

There have been many requests for updates in this area but they have never ben implemented.

I think in part because MC is designed to work with Avid shared storage and that dictates a folder structure per workstaion per workspace.

So changes in standalone MC would impact that.

But my view is more control is needed and limits MC currently

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Fri, Apr 17 2020 2:12 AM In reply to

• cls105
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • los angeles
    • Posts 513
    • Points 6,590

I think this is a good feature request. so +1 from me.

w10, mc 2020.4, diy x299 7940x [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 17 2020 3:09 AM In reply to

I understand why MC functions the way it works. Media management is stable and incredibly scalable. I've tried project and media sharing with other NLEs - Premiere, Resolve, etc.
    Nothing comes close.

That said, it is time to modernize the feature set, especially for those not using shared storage. It has not changed since the inception of the MXF media format.

+1
    Not necessarily for this feature, but I want the ability to control the behavior a bit.
    MXF folders named after project+hostname or date+hostname or other variables
    Ability to redirect MXF media subfolder based on project or user settings

MC 2020.6, W10, Gigabyte X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 2080Ti Waterforce, 64GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 17 2020 4:38 AM In reply to

+1,

plus:

I need a way to OPEN FILE LOCATION for Exports I've just made but instantly forgot where I sent-- which so many other programs provide. Am I the only one?

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 17 2020 7:46 AM In reply to

Be a nice feature but I have a very organsided arrangement for media coming in and going out so I know exactly where my exports will be. Its the same for every job and keeps all the ingest and exported media for a job in one location and the same structure.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

• Fri, Apr 17 2020 11:16 AM In reply to

I like the sound of that. Where do you place them?

Pat Horridge:

Be a nice feature but I have a very organsided arrangement for media coming in and going out so I know exactly where my exports will be. Its the same for every job and keeps all the ingest and exported media for a job in one location and the same structure.

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 17 2020 11:37 AM In reply to

For every Project I work on I have a folder on the external storage

Within that I have a structure that has all the sources (in sub folders by type_

A projects folder with the current active version and daily backups in fiolders by project name and date

I have an Avid Media Files folder that I move into and out of the root level Avid media files folder to bring it on and offline as required

I then have an exports folder divided up into the type of exports I do or delivery destinations (or both) and as I export I direct to the folder and name using a predetermined format

The whole folder can then be regularly backedup to a seperate drive or eventually archived.

I alway make a second backup to a cloud service of the Project when I leave MC. The sources are always backed up elsewhere.

• Fri, Apr 17 2020 11:50 AM In reply to

Thanks for the roadmap, Pat. (With apologies for slightly derailing this thread) Have you ever needed to COPY newly created Avid MediaFiles only, to back them up separately from their primary location? Can the Avid MediaFiles or even the Avid Project Fokder be turned into a "watch folder" where new files are copied and placed in your external backup or automatically uploaded to your favorite cloud service?

• Fri, Apr 17 2020 1:37 PM In reply to

I always make sure the 1 folder is empty before I launch MC.

Anything in there is either trash or I forgot to put it away at the end of the last session.

Each project I use an avid media folder Prefix so 1001 1002 1003 1004

Then as new media is created in the 1 folder I name it 100101 100102 100103

And each time that renamed 1 folder is moved to the avid media files for that projects folder

That way media for a project gets saved in numbered folders pretty much by session.

To bring that media on line all those 1001 folders get moved to the current active MXF folder and moved back at the end with a newly renamed 1 folder if needed.

You could safely have a watch on that project based avid media file location as its not actually active. But take care with a watch folder setup as you have to move the media to mae it active and its likley your watch would then delete it from the backup!

• Fri, Apr 17 2020 2:48 PM In reply to

Thank you Pat. Those are some very excellent practices, tried and true, I'm sure.

I agree that starting and ending a Project's work doing those things is just plain smart.

I didnt quite follow your share folder caution paragraph - probably because I have never used a watch folder- even after many years using Squeeze which offered it. In terms of what a 2020 standalone software can do, I only have my imagination not any practical experience at this point. So, I have assumed if I wanted to "watch & copy" from any Folder (on a Win10Pro), a program would have the ability to copy (not move) out of fir example, the MXF>1 Folder into an External Folder, and also somehow remember what's already been "watch copied" from there as it continues to watch for newer files to copy. I suppose there might be a all sorts of Access Violations or other serious damage done, so believe me, I wouldn't do anything like this without a serious roadmap or test.

I think my takeaway from your previous replies here is that one can do well by interacting with MXF > 1 MANUALLY  with numeric renamed Folders, in order to achieve good housekeeping results. And Leave the automatic or "background" services to MC exclusively.

One more thing: is it true that renaming a numeric folder (inside MXF folder) with or including Letters will prevent any further media from landing there and also lock it in place with all the existing media there, as long as it had been scanned and was up to date before doing so?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller