Latest post Mon, Apr 13 2020 9:41 PM by hbrock. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 7 2020 7:45 PM

• acbrock
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 165
    • Points 2,010

Box Avid Project Hosting

Hi,

Has anyone hosted a Project on Box?  I do not need it to be a shared project or anythign.  I would just love to be able to log into it and update it remotely instead of needing to LogMe in just to grab a bin.

I have dont it on Dropbox but they want us to use Box for Security.  Avid wont open the project from box, says bad file name or something.

If anyone has done this does it hurt the speed of the avid if it is in a Box folder?  Seems like it should be the same because it is a Local folder?

Thanks

A

• Mon, Apr 13 2020 9:41 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,541
    • Points 64,320
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Box Avid Project Hosting

I've been sharing a team project using Dropbox so this may, or may not, apply to your situation.  

Our "master" project is in the Dropbox. Everybody works off a local copy of the Dropbox "master" located in a different location.  The Avid Project in the Dropbox is only used for syncing, it's not an active project.

We all get on a group call in the morning and update the project in the Dropbox from whatever local bins we might have changed in the prior 24 hours.  This is to ensure that someone doesn't inadvertently overwrite someone else's work (seldom happens in this project as we don't normally work on the same bins).  Once the "master" is synced up, we all move the prior days's local copy into a backup folder and copy the "master" from the Dropbox to our local project file location and use that for the day's work.

When I tested opening the Dropbox project in Media Composer I didn't have a problem with the file names...but I wouldn't recommend doing this as there are some gotchas that could be problematic. For one thing, the .avp and Settings.xml files in the Project folder will get overritten whenever anybody closes their project.  This could cause Media Creation, Audio Project settings and some other Project settings to get changed for everybody.  That could result in "unintended consequences".  For this reason, we have everybody overwrite the Settings and .avp files from the Dropbox "master" with their personal local copies before beginning work each day.

MXF files are another story...

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller