Latest post Wed, May 20 2020 8:56 PM by Marc-Jan. 84 replies.
Page 6 of 6 (85 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 28 2020 8:30 PM In reply to

• tdalauro
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 13 2020
    • Posts 25
    • Points 270

Re: release date MC 2020

Buzzkill:

Oh, good, good! I know, sometimes you gotta take the slow road but you should be able to link full bins at a time and you'll be locked-in afterwards! 

Yup! Everything finally relinked!  

Now does anyone know what the new Same as Source Export is??  Huh?

• Tue, Apr 28 2020 8:56 PM In reply to

• Buzzkill
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 44
    • Points 660

TD, That's when you want to export a sequence that's the same format as your source clips. If you have Prores footage in your project sequence and you choose 'export same as source', your exported file will be Prores--this also gives you the option of exporting another format if delivery requirements call for it. Also, if you have mixed formats in your footage/sequence, you probably won't choose export same as source as that could yield some unintended results. 

MC 2020.4|10.15.4|MacPro 16c|96gb|Pro Vega 2|Kona 5|Pegasus32 R8,R4i|Prism ADA8XR|XDR,LG 24MD4KL,Sony PVM2541 [view my complete system specs]

I don't feel tardy...

• Wed, Apr 29 2020 12:09 AM In reply to

• tdalauro
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 25
    • Points 270

Buzzkill:

TD, That's when you want to export a sequence that's the same format as your source clips. If you have Prores footage in your project sequence and you choose 'export same as source', your exported file will be Prores--this also gives you the option of exporting another format if delivery requirements call for it. Also, if you have mixed formats in your footage/sequence, you probably won't choose export same as source as that could yield some unintended results. 

Oh, well that changes things! I always thought that Avid was re-wrapping the files to whatever your media creation settings were - so if you were importing Pro Res sources, Avid was creating DNx 145 media out of thiose Pro Res files upon import into your project. - so your SAS export was just a DNx export?

• Wed, Apr 29 2020 12:09 AM In reply to

• tdalauro
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 25
    • Points 270

Buzzkill:

Oh, well that changes things! I always thought that Avid was re-wrapping the files to whatever your media creation settings were - so if you were importing Pro Res sources, Avid was creating DNx 145 media out of thiose Pro Res files upon import into your project. - so your SAS export was just a DNx export?

• Wed, Apr 29 2020 12:42 AM In reply to

• Buzzkill
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 44
    • Points 660

You can change your original Prores footage (or whatever it is) ingesting as DNxHD, make your cut and then 'export same as source' ending as a DNxHD file. Or, import as Prores, then export same as source, ending with a Prores output--or at the export stage, use another format (not same as source) changing into whatever suits your delivery requirement. My understanding is that DNxHD or Prores are the more efficient edit formats and it's best to choose one or the other & stick with that thoughout a project. SAS is a relative term, you have the option not to use SAS if it suits you. HTH

MC 2020.4|10.15.4|MacPro 16c|96gb|Pro Vega 2|Kona 5|Pegasus32 R8,R4i|Prism ADA8XR|XDR,LG 24MD4KL,Sony PVM2541 [view my complete system specs]

I don't feel tardy...

• Wed, Apr 29 2020 8:04 PM In reply to

• tdalauro
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 25
    • Points 270

Buzzkill, got it - makes sense. My Media Creation settings on import are set for DNx145 (Well, Now it's DNxHD SQ) - But the client deliverable ask is a SAS. I think now it's MXF OP1a.  Will have to play around with it I guess. 

But NOW - haha - it's always going to be something I guess!   I am trying to import an Apple Pro Res 4444 with an alpha channel (A keyable graphic).  And Avid is telling me "it's not supported for import". 

I think it has something to do with the UME link the new build is using? Not sure but I don't know how to get this file into my project now...   

TD

• Wed, Apr 29 2020 10:06 PM In reply to

• jdrouette
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Montréal, Canada
    • Posts 432
    • Points 5,625

tdalauro:

But NOW - haha - it's always going to be something I guess!   I am trying to import an Apple Pro Res 4444 with an alpha channel (A keyable graphic).  And Avid is telling me "it's not supported for import". 

I think it has something to do with the UME link the new build is using? Not sure but I don't know how to get this file into my project now...   

TD

You can *link* to ProRes 4444 files with alpha (and consolidate/transcode) but not import.

Strangely, DNxHD with alpha won't link or import, yet.

Avid Media Composer 2020.5 Symphony option, Avid Artist DNxID (DNxID Desktop Video Application v11.5.1), macOS 10.15.5, iMac Pro (2017) 10-Core, 3.0GHz... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 29 2020 10:19 PM In reply to

• tdalauro
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 25
    • Points 270

Thanks, jdrouette - linking worked but I am not understanding the transcoding..  If I tanscode, I would assume it will lose the alpha information, no? 

It's not letting me transcode it anyway...  interesting. So going forward with this version, any lower thirds or keyable graphics will have to be linked and not able to be imported? How does that effect AAF's I wonder?

• Wed, Apr 29 2020 11:10 PM In reply to

• jdrouette
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Montréal, Canada
    • Posts 432
    • Points 5,625

Yes, you're right. I mistakenly assumed we could transcode with the alpha intact.

I'm guessing that the import functions will gradually seep back with future updates. Here's hoping.

Avid Media Composer 2020.5 Symphony option, Avid Artist DNxID (DNxID Desktop Video Application v11.5.1), macOS 10.15.5, iMac Pro (2017) 10-Core, 3.0GHz... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 20 2020 8:56 PM In reply to

• Marc-Jan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Oct 18 2008
    • Baarn, The Netherlands
    • Posts 7
    • Points 45

Same problem here. I discovered that consolidating the file works, not very convenient when you want to batch it later on when changing things. Only thing left is that the alpha is nog completely black, so the key is still not clean. Has anyone found a solution to that other then changing the color adjustments in Source Setings?

Page 6 of 6 (85 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller