Latest post Wed, May 20 2020 8:56 PM by Marc-Jan. 84 replies.
Page 4 of 6 (85 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Apr 25 2020 8:25 PM In reply to

Re: release date MC 2020

1. I'm sorry. $80 extra for a VESA mount. Or $0 to put it on its back.

2. Not sure how X310 is involved here.

3. I don't hate Apple. I have a MBP and an iPhone, not to mention the hundreds of Macs I manage at work. I'm just aware enough which company can be best described as arrogant. It is not Avid. The closest an Apple user will get to talk to an Apple developer is someone on stage literally talking down to them.

4. Name calling is not fact in any definition.

MC 2020.6, W10, Gigabyte X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 2080Ti Waterforce, 64GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 25 2020 9:49 PM In reply to

Ok, now that everyone has spoken their mind I hope we can return to a professional discussion about the imminent release of MC 2020. Thanks!

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Apr 26 2020 2:28 AM In reply to

• mrtymcln
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 16 2016
    • Sydney, NSW
    • Posts 79
    • Points 855

Dom Q. Silverio:
    Arrogance? This is pretty surprising coming from an Apple user. Apple does not even offer support for their Pro products!

$200 for a monitor stand?

BTW - how are Apple FCPX users doing with remote editing? LOL

Apple has a dedicated Pro Support team and Pro Workflow team (Doug Brooks is a great guy!)... at least have some idea of what you're talking about.

We FCPX users (6 editors, 3 assists at my current company) are working from home with no issues, thanks for asking. 😊

Avid are absolutely arrogant. Where is the apology for being 12 months late for the Catalina beta, or 6 months for the Catalina release? (Which wouldn't be an issue if Avid transitioned to 64-bit when everyone else did 10 years ago). They act like their bone-idleness is everyone else's fault but their own. DNX on Afterburner compatability? Why do they delete "negative" comments from their socials? How long have we waited for a new FX architecture? Blend modes? A decent title tool? Freeze frames having infinite trim? Batch rendering? The same Marker abilities you had in the Capture tool? MC101 courses that don't use Flash? Search bar in the Command Pallette? Allow trim-to-fill with ColourFlex? Automatic licensing like Adobe/Apple/Blackmagic/Red/BorisFX? Better interoperability with Pro Tools? Streamline the import/link process? Just to name a few...
    Their incessant need to rest on their laurals and say "X is the way it is because this is the way we have always done it so take it or leave it", is why everyone dislikes Avid and why their marketshare is shrinking.

Media Composer 2020.8 with PF and SS | 2015 MacBook Pro with macOS 10.14.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 26 2020 10:10 AM In reply to

Mark:
    She can't even be bothered to look at the calendar.
    Say what...? Don't you dare go after our MM. If she mistyped the date, it is because she is working all through this weekend to get this release tested and out the door on Monday.

I sympathize with your frustration, but I think you're venting in the wrong direction here.

Stay safe, y'all.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 26 2020 10:57 AM In reply to

• morsey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 12 2019
    • Posts 49
    • Points 595

I think it's safe to say MC users feel passionately about Avid and don't want to see one of their favourite editing tools fall by the wayside. Avid should listen.

Resources should have been focused on making it compatible sooner, rather than work on features such as the new window to open projects... New features are welcomed but if you can't use it on a Mac that's 6 months old without support or workarounds, that's pretty frustrating.

Yeah, we're still talking about it because the amount of dates thrown about is absurd. I knew it wasn't going to be the 23rd. If it's released on Monday, good, finally.

• Sun, Apr 26 2020 2:08 PM In reply to

morsey:
    because the amount of dates thrown about is absurd.

Have you followed the news over the past few months, though?

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 26 2020 3:24 PM In reply to

• morsey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 12 2019
    • Posts 49
    • Points 595

End of 2019... January... Febuary... Apple changed this, Apple changed that...

• Sun, Apr 26 2020 6:01 PM In reply to

• tdalauro
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 13 2020
    • Posts 25
    • Points 270

This is great - I am excited for a "monday". Big Smile

Probably not reccomended but I am wondering if I can move over my current projects from v2018 to this build.

• Sun, Apr 26 2020 6:43 PM In reply to

tdalauro:

Probably not reccomended but I am wondering if I can move over my current projects from v2018 to this build.

Pretty sure it will work just fine. Going back is not really recommended (but done often), going forward should be fine.

I was cutting a feature on 2018.12, went to 2019.12 this week without issues, amd will move to 2020.4 on Monday.

• Sun, Apr 26 2020 6:50 PM In reply to

morsey:
    I think it's safe to say MC users feel passionately about Avid and don't want to see one of their favourite editing tools fall by the wayside. Avid should listen.

I'm on board with that. And I do sympathize with the frustration.

The personal attacks at MM -- or any of her colleagues who are busting their behinds to get all of this working and out to all of us in a proper fashion -- made me mad, though. Happy to share some of the overall criticism of the company's decisions over the past 25 years. Not so much willing to see criticism of the individuals who, like you and me and everyone on this forum, are doing their very best a their jobs every day.

• Sun, Apr 26 2020 7:36 PM In reply to

• Buzzkill
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 64
    • Points 890

Much respect to Job & Dom, for dispensing their deep knowledge & experience with dignity for many, many years here...

Excited for 2020.4!!

MC 2020.9|10.15.6|MacPro 16c|96gb|Pro Vega 2|Kona 5|Pegasus32 R8,R4i|Prism ADA8XR|XDR,LG 24MD4KL,Sony PVM2541 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 26 2020 11:31 PM In reply to

• tdalauro
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 13 2020
    • Posts 25
    • Points 270

Job ter Burg:

tdalauro:

Pretty sure it will work just fine. Going back is not really recommended (but done often), going forward should be fine.

I was cutting a feature on 2018.12, went to 2019.12 this week without issues, amd will move to 2020.4 on Monday.

Thanks, Job! I am going to play around with it this week and see how it goes. Including going backwards too, since my clients will be on 2019 versions - I'd want to make sure they'd be able to open and archive my projects I am sending them.

• Mon, Apr 27 2020 12:49 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,378
    • Points 233,200
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Mark:

Buzzkill:

Thanks Avid, for working hard to make this difficult 64bit jump and extra thanks to Marianna for being there at any & all-times we need your help and wisdom... 

I'm having a hard time taking this post seriously. Even if I consider this to be a fanboy post, it's laughable.

6.5 months after the official release and 10.5 months after the WWDC event is anything but good support from Avid.

of course, the fanboys will always defend the company for whatever reason. But the numbers speak for themselves and the slice of the pie for Avid is becoming smaller and smaller each day. 

their arrogant attitude is what's the #1 issue. I find it very difficult to swallow that it takes this long (and still no official catalina compatible release btw) to release the product while the competitors are miles ahead of Avid.

what you are seeing here is the slow demise of Avid. Studio accounts keeping them alive but I wouldn't ve surprised if at one point those will just poof, vanish as well. 

too bad because I used to love their software but I won't put up with this arrogant attitude.

not to mention after almost 2.5 months they still couldn't answer a simple question about Afterburner Compatibility. Pathetic.

Marianna's post above says it all. She can't even be bothered to look at the calendar.

"monday 4/30/2020 at 3:00 PM ET"

4/30 being a Thursday btw. This is how dysfunctional they are. And has anyone seen any apologetic posts from

them in regards to how long this update is taking them? It's like they have 1 software engineer that works 1 day a week. Part time. 

Mark,

Im sorry if you think Im arrogant, far from the case here.  I do apologize for the date error as the 4/30 date was the target but changed to 4/27 - today.  Mistakes happen.  Im sure you make them too as we all do.

The software will come out today at 3:00PM EST.  It will have one issue with regards to macOS 10.5.4 relating to long file copies that hopefully Apple will resolved in 10.15.x but for right now, there is a notation in the readme.  

The time it takes is relevant.... not only does MC have to work - all 3 variations - MC First, MC and MC Ultimate - but has to work with other products such as NEXIS, VM Option, SS, PF, Interplay and all the MANY workflows we have supported since 2018.x and 2019.x. No small task to test all that.  Not saying it could have been done faster but thats the position we were in. The pandemic didnt help as we released 125K temp licenses in order for post, sound and Edu facilties to keep going and to do that, products have to be created in a 3 month window and tested as well before we pushed them out there. 

I didnt see your question on Afterburner.... this is a place to ask questions of your peers...  but you can also create a case and get to support who would answers those questions for you.  

Afterburner..... Not currently supported with MC. Engineering is looking into this and ways to postentially support it in the future but thats all I know. 

Its very easy to be rude and disrespectful online....... my phone # and email are listed everywhere.  If you really wanted to know you could pick up the phone or email me.  Guess you just wanted to complain online which IMO is dysfunctional.

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 27 2020 1:26 PM In reply to

• Aliocha
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 4 2010
    • paris
    • Posts 12
    • Points 130

Marianna, YOU ROCK!

Aliocha

Imac pro 2017 2,3GHz intel xeon w 18 128 Go 2666 MHz DDR4 Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 Go Blackmagic extreme 3 Catalina 10.15.7 Avid 2020.9 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 27 2020 2:47 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,378
    • Points 233,200
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Just a quick update....    2020.4 will START being released at noon today EST.  There are many components to that - Link, MyAvid, Download Center etc so between 12-3 it should be completed.

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
Page 4 of 6 (85 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller