Latest post Sun, Apr 5 2020 11:57 PM by LD. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Apr 4 2020 1:06 AM

• LD
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 10 2016
    • Posts 9
    • Points 135

Which macbook pro for editing on avid?

Hi all,

I am looking into buying the new macbook pro 16inch for editing on avid  where it won't give too much lag, also do you guys find apple care worth it to spend the extra money on a macbook pro?

I am debating between the two models of the 16 inch if it is best to go all out the most expensive or the less expensive of 150 AUD after upgrading the processor which 450 AUD extra, the following two:

2.6GHz 6-core ninth‑generation Intel Core i7 processor with Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz (Upgrade to i9 which is 450 AUD more)

16GB of 2666MHz DDR4 memory

AMD Radeon Pro 5300M with 4GB of GDDR6 memory

512GB of SSD storage

Or

2.3GHz 8‑core ninth‑generation Intel Core i9 processor with Turbo Boost up to 4.8GHz (No need to upgade as its already built in)

16GB of 2666MHz DDR4 memory

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 4GB of GDDR6 memory

1TB of SSD storage

Thank you for your advice.

• Sat, Apr 4 2020 1:20 PM In reply to

• mrtymcln
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 16 2016
    • Sydney, NSW
    • Posts 79
    • Points 855

Re: Which macbook pro for editing on avid?

Hello fellow Aussie!

I recomend buying from the Edu store, the money you'll save can go back into upgrades.
    Prioritise memory > CPU >> GPU. Start with 32GB of memory, then pick the CPU that you can afford.

The 16" Macbook Pro is a workhorse... but it will come with macOS 10.15.4, which Avid is not yet compatable with + Intel just released new 10th gen CPUs—you should wait a few months for the Avid/Apple/Intel stars to align.

Hope you're staying safe!

Media Composer 2020.8 with PF and SS | 2015 MacBook Pro with macOS 10.14.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 4 2020 3:02 PM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,432
    • Points 61,250
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

I would ordera qualified system from an Avid qualified reseller...

https://www.avid.com/find-a-reseller

Mac Pro, 64GB Ram. 1TB SSD system drive, 250Gb SSD external (media) drive. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC 2019.12.1. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 4 2020 9:17 PM In reply to

• Kyler
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 26 2014
    • Boudreau
    • Posts 84
    • Points 950

You asked about Apple Care - It's definitely worth it. I've had a new Macbook Pro have a hardware issue before. Actually a couple of times. And when that happens, you're definitely glad for the coverage.

And like they mentioned, the new OSX is not compatible with Avid yet. As in... I updated a couple weeks ago and had to wipe my macbook pro and go back to the older OS. Huge pain.

The Avid Media Composer v20 beta works on it, but there are no export options. So you can get projects going and start editing, but if you need to export any type of quicktime or video, the beta won't do it.

Macbook Pro / G-Raid Shuttle [view my complete system specs]

kyler boudreau | kylerboudreau.com

• Sun, Apr 5 2020 12:31 AM In reply to

• LD
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 135

Thanks for the advice guys.

I wouldn't have known that Avid is not compatible with new macbook pro. may hold off for few months, I was thinking about it as a back up plan,  i am supposed to have gig that starts in 2 weeks and equipment is always provided, but with everything happening atm everything has been either cancelled or postponed.

Stay safe and well guys.

• Sun, Apr 5 2020 10:44 AM In reply to

• morsey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 12 2019
    • Posts 49
    • Points 595

LD:

Thanks for the advice guys.

I wouldn't have known that Avid is not compatible with new macbook pro. may hold off for few months, I was thinking about it as a back up plan,  i am supposed to have gig that starts in 2 weeks and equipment is always provided, but with everything happening atm everything has been either cancelled or postponed.

Stay safe and well guys.

It's been a ridiculous amount of time since Catalina and the new MBP have been out (6 months). Latest I've heard 23rd April on the Avid facebook forum. But I wouldn't depend on that date as we've also heard it would be ready Jan, then Feb... The beta is not to be trusted on jobs.

May as well wait it out a bit, all my friends in Australia have had their jobs postponed.

I think I'd start with 32gb ram also over the CPU upgrade, but don't take our word for it as you can order both configurations, test them and return the one you don't want within 14 days using their return policy.

AppleCare- Because you are in Australia there is a 3 year warranty (I confirmed this with 3 different Apple Reps). This doesn't cover accidental damage like AppleCare+.

Keep well.

• Sun, Apr 5 2020 11:57 PM In reply to

• LD
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 9
    • Points 135

Thanks for that Morsey.

I think I will wait a bit and as for configurations, I am doing a bit of homework on what I would really need to run avid smoothly once it becomes compatiable.

I generally cut reality TV formats which is all multicam and I have checked on RAM of the iMac I used at work and it was 16GB with i7 CPU but having said that working from home most probably won't be reality TV as equipment is always provided with those gigs, it most probably be jobs for cooperate, TVC, webseries and budget films etc.

So most probably I will be using either Premiere or Avid depending on the job requirements etc.

As for Apple Care, some people say its worth and some say its not, its more towards of hardware issues within the mac that happens after the original 12 months warranty that happens, its another thing to think about.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller