Latest post Tue, Mar 31 2020 8:50 AM by aspaceandahalf. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 30 2020 6:36 PM

Help with post workflow

I have a job where the  80% of the footage has been shot on a domestic camcorder at 29.97 1440 x 1080 

The client wants to enter it to festivals so potentially I need to convert it all to 24p.

Would it be best to cut at native rate and then convert later or convert first?

Filed under: , , ,
  • Mon, Mar 30 2020 10:35 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,259
    • Points 15,955
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Help with post workflow

Two Rules of thumb here:

1) is to always edit the master sequence in the destination format. 

2) is to always ingest footage into a project that matches its native format.

So: Capture the camcorder media into a 1440x1080 29.97 project. This places it all onto its most stable platform possible. Then open a new project for the master sequence going to festivals. Hit File/Open Bin, and open the capture bin from the initial project. Copy it into this one. Transcode you're convert it.

Seem like an unnecessary extra step? Sure... but now you have the 1440 in a "raw" state, which you can pull into ANY future project - 2k, 4k, whatever. Because all film fests want something different. 

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: @heybove   Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)   WWND (What Would Norman Do?)   #AllisWell

• Tue, Mar 31 2020 8:50 AM In reply to

Re: Help with post workflow

Thanks Chris, I'm too used to having it all done for me. It's been 20 years since I assisted and it was all tape in those days. 

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller