Latest post Wed, Apr 1 2020 12:50 AM by coloreye. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 26 2020 6:18 PM

• coloreye
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 25 2020
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55

Keycode Code end number is off 3 to 15 frames

Hi Im editing a 16mm project for a negative cut using Avid 2019 version.  Im manually adding in keycode for each reel that is part of the file. The current file Im working on has (3) 400ft reels.

When ever I add the keycode/edge number in KN start. Avid automatically adds up the KN end number and this numbers is off by 3 to 15 frames from the end number provided by the negative cutter. 

I have also noticed that the master clip (clip that has the three reels) has a KN duration number with it.  This clip should not have any keycode at all yet Avid added KN duration to it. This master clip/file is used to find reels and create subclips from.

So has anyone experienced figuring out keycode issues before with Avid? Or is it the settings.  Or is there a way I  can manually add the KN end number

Windows 10/1080p24/16mm/ keycode: 16mm 20 frames  

Thanks 

• Thu, Mar 26 2020 9:22 PM In reply to

Re: Keycode Code end number is off 3 to 15 frames

Yes, Keycode! Have asked to someone who wrote the book on this. His reply:

Assuming the master clips is 3 reels and you are breaking down each reel into a subclips, the KN Start should only be on the subclip and nothing on the master clip. Unclear whether the transfer included a KN burn-in or not to validate. If there is some conflict between master and subclip, then I would say consolidate the individual subclip reels to make 3 new master clips, delete the original master clip and work from there. Note that you can manually enter a Start Keykode for each subclip.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 28 2020 8:30 PM In reply to

• coloreye
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55

So how would consolidate the subclips to make new masters?  Also raw footage was telecined without Keycode and key code metadata. 

• Sun, Mar 29 2020 9:08 AM In reply to

Consolidate would create new masters of the subclips, indeed.

When you say no KK was read during TK, how are you able to assign KK?

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 1 2020 12:50 AM In reply to

• coloreye
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 5
    • Points 55

Ok, I have created new subclips as masters and this has eliminated a lorge part of the issue.  Problem now is keycode is for each master subclip is always 4 frames over. Is this a settings issue since it is always 4 frames over and not just a random number of frames.  Would this happen if the telecine was actually done at 23.997?

How I'm entering keycode is by using a edge number list from the negative cutter. For each subclip (reel) I manually add the key code start number. I do not use burn-ins

Thanks

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller