Latest post Thu, Jan 28 2021 8:33 PM by Robert Bowlus. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 16 2020 10:27 PM

• Lars G
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 26 2016
    • Posts 6
    • Points 70

Remote Work for a freelancer

With the Corona looming around, the question about working from home is coming up. I've been pushing for remote work for a while now and it seems that this situation have really brought this to light.

So far I've been at the mercy of solutions that production companies have for getting my hands on the material (Google Drive, Dropbox, wetransfer) but most of the time they don't know what they are doing and things go haywire pretty quickly.

As a one-man-show I need to be able to offer such an easy solution for production companies that all they have to do is to plug in a drive and start uploading material. I have to be able to take most of the workload from "check the gate" through to delivery and that includes all the editing, and most of color-correction, music editing, audio, motion graphics, vfx. I usually have to use a combination of Avid, DaVinci Resolve, Premiere and After Effects before sending it off. 

Have anyone else done a complete post-production pipeline for a single-user freelancer that didn't cost an arm and a leg and proved to be easy for everybody involved?

Model: MacBookPro8,1, BootROM MBP81.004D.B00, 2 processors, Intel Core i7, 2.8 GHz, 8 GB, SMC 1.68f99Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000, Intel HD Graphics... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 16 2020 10:42 PM In reply to

Re: Remote Work for a freelancer

There is no easy answer and as you have found budget solutions just don't deliver.

Getting a fast reliable uncontented line to your home isn't cheap and without that you need a large amount of cloud space.

Uploading rushes at full res by client will always be difficult. Most production companies have modest internet connections. Try uploading a few TB of media and you soon see the limiations. 

Unless you set up your own secure hosting solution at home then that client media needs to go to a cloud space and then you need to either download the full res (ouch) or use the cloud provider to transcode for you and you download the offline res.

Then just download the full res for the conform of whats needed.

Nonoe of this is cheap but then remote facilities shouldn't and can't be cheap. Think what the client is saving not using a full blown post house. 

In this environment remote working should command a premium because you can actually do the work.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Tue, Mar 17 2020 12:14 PM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,278
    • Points 15,560

Talking about this, I was wondering what are the options for screen sharing. There are times when I need to work with the director, trying things in real time, so I'd like to be able to show him my monitor output. TeamViewer doesn't send sound, so that's out. Could skype/facetime and point the camera at the monitor, but it's not ideal even with a pretty good internet connexion. Any suggestions?

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig RAM, Mojo DX, 10.14.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.11.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 17 2020 12:40 PM In reply to

pierreh:
    Talking about this, I was wondering what are the options for screen sharing.

The two things I have been looking at:

https://sofimarshall.com/real-time-remote-editing/   (essentially using BMD Web Presenter as a streamer into Zoom).

and Evercast:

https://www.provideocoalition.com/aotc-barton/  (a recording of a live video demo is halfway throught the interview)

I'm not sure but I think Evercast boils down to about 250USD/wk for a 'room'.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 17 2020 3:00 PM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,278
    • Points 15,560

Evercast seems out of my range as the producers won't be able to support. But BMD Web Presenter sounds like a neat option.

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig RAM, Mojo DX, 10.14.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.11.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 20 2020 4:17 PM In reply to

I've been looking at solutions as well...

Evercast seems to be the better solution, they will charge you 600 rate if you are a freelancer. They used to offer a free week trial but that seems to be gone after the Corona situation. Also, as Sofi's solution, you need to buy loopback as well.

Bebop is great, seems to be developing a 48h trial but costs some.

Sofi Marshal's article might be a good solution as well. Not as neat as Evercast with the several screen streaming but for freelancers, it's the same rez 720p. Requires some up front investment.

It's nuts that after 10 years none came up with something like Apple's IChat theater.

Cheers,

Ed.

MacBook Pro 16 (2019), 8GB 5500MX, 32GB RAM, OSX 10.15.4, MC 2020.4 || Mac Pro 8 core 2.4 Ghz (Middle 2010), 40 Gb RAM, BM Mini Monitor 4k, GTX970 4GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 20 2020 4:35 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:
    https://www.provideocoalition.com/aotc-barton/  (a recording of a live video demo is halfway throught the interview)

Job, your clock/leader is kicking again!

MacBook Pro 16 (2019), 8GB 5500MX, 32GB RAM, OSX 10.15.4, MC 2020.4 || Mac Pro 8 core 2.4 Ghz (Middle 2010), 40 Gb RAM, BM Mini Monitor 4k, GTX970 4GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 20 2020 5:39 PM In reply to

Big Smile

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 20 2020 5:35 AM In reply to

HI Eduardo,

We have developed a live remote editorial application called PacPost.live that supports unlimited viwers in realtime.

Please email if you would like more information for a free trial.

Thanks,

Lorenzo Sgroi

lorenzo@pacpost.com 

• Mon, Jan 25 2021 8:51 PM In reply to

• Cutyes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 14 2012
    • Berlin
    • Posts 180
    • Points 2,330

Hey there,

has anybody made any first-hand experiences with Evercast? Outside the U.S.?

The distributor of the project I am currently working on, has only approved Evercast as a streaming solution for this project. So, being well aware of and interested in other approaches, for now it’s Evercast or nothing.

During a 3-days-trial I tested a variety of settings (bitrates 500-10.000, the different codecs, resolutions ≤1.080p and other tweaks), with and without video conferencing as well as screen-capture (plus Loopback) vs. I/O through a T-Tap-U-Tap loop. But the outcome was always something between reasonable-but-unstable and just-not-good-enough.

In order to make a more succesful second try in the near future, I am trying to figure out the bottleneck(s). Taking the software itself off the list of potential culprits - due to its reputation and testimonials - leaves me with two other things to look at:

1) Internet connection: 40 Mbit up, 100 MBit down, hard-wired. I did multiple speed tests and none of them showed any discrepancies. So I was wondering if traffic going through servers on the other side of the world might be a problem. (I need to stream from and to Europe, hence the question specifically about outside U.S. experiences.) But according to the Evercast support and due to WebRTC physical distance should not make a (significant) difference.

2) Hardware: at the moment I only have my field gear at hand, which is a 2017 MBP / 3,1 GHz i7 / 4GB GPU / 16GB RAM. Not much, but just within requirements. But maybe 'just within' ist just not good enough playback Media Composer AND stream MC’s output at the same time. CPU was clearly pushed, mostly by MC, but still had headroom.

So, has anyone sucessfully streamed 720p/1.080p using a similar one-machine-setup? Or has anybody successfully streamed from and to Europe with any other configuration and, if so, what equipment was involved?

• Mon, Jan 25 2021 10:33 PM In reply to

I haven't run Evercast, but from what you write, I wonder if there's any way to set your system up 'air-gapped', so that your MC machine just has to run MC, and you feed its HDMI output into an additional machine that is on Evercast.

• Mon, Jan 25 2021 11:14 PM In reply to

• Cutyes
    • Not Ranked
    • Berlin
    • Posts 180
    • Points 2,330

If by "set your system up" you mean one's system, then, yes, one can do that. And splitting the load would surely have improved things in my case.

If by "set your system up" you mean my system, then, for the reason mentioned above, I would have loved to do so. But unfortunately I only have this one MBP available at the moment. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Mon, Jan 25 2021 11:20 PM In reply to

This need for streaming is something that Avid should address directly.

Here is Assimilate Scratch howing how painlessly it could work:

https://www.assimilateinc.com/scratch-ndi/

For rushes download and delivery I use Livedrive.

If you access via ftp and not their software it is fast and reliable.

About $150 per year for 5TB online cloudspace, and unlimited back-up.

Symphony 7.06 OS 10.9.5 QT 7.6.3 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona Lhi. MC 2018.12.13 OS 10.13.4 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 32GB ram Aja I/O express... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 26 2021 1:30 AM In reply to

• Cutyes
    • Not Ranked
    • Berlin
    • Posts 180
    • Points 2,330

Hey David,

thanks for the link. That reminded me that I wanted to check on MC and NDI. I didn't see MC via NDI when I chose NDI as a source in the Evercast Broadcasting Software, 'EBS'. (Which, at least on the surface, seems more or less identical to the open source equivalent 'OBS'.)

But thanks to your reminder and consulting the Avid knowledge base I now learned that NDI has been on-board since MC 2018.7 and can be enabled from within the software. So now it could be routed directly to EBS. I am not sure whether it will help with the EBS-performance on my particular system. But it's cool to have it now (with help of the NDI-Tools) for streaming non-confidential stuff right into Zoom or Teams.

• Thu, Jan 28 2021 8:33 PM In reply to

Hello Lars,

Now that we're almost a year in, what has worked the best for you? 

Here's what's worked for me during the Corona.

Around town here in LA, we've been using Uber/Lyft as an unofficial courier service of hard drives. 1 out of 30 drivers won't do it, but most will- I just make sure I show them the small hard drive in the box so they know I'm not a drug runner and I tip well.

For long distance clients, Fedexing a hard drive overnight isn't that bad and is a lot less hassle than trying to transfer TB's worth of online footage over the internet. For most projects, I just eat the additional shipping cost as it is a small price to pay for the project. 

Another thing to point out is that Avid snuck in a H.264 800kbps proxy transcode option at some point. It doesn't look that pretty, but it would make Avid media highly portable over the internet for an offline edit. It reminds me of Meridian 20:1 compression. For quick turn projects, I start immediately with the low res transcodes while the online media slowly makes it's way through the postal system in time for the online. 

For exchange of smaller files related to the project, I've had to use almost every file transfer service installed at once because, as you pointed out, this is normally determined by the client. Out of the pedestrian options, Dropbox has worked the best for me and allows you to set the download directory to an external hard drive location. Many services only download to your system drive which is horrible.

In some cases where the client has an on-site edit machine, I've actually been able to "ghost edit" using a affordable piece of software called Jump Desktop. The key is installing the low latency audio driver "Blackhole audio" on mac. I've completed many projects over the past year using this and it only costs $30 from the app store. Over decent connections, it delivers full-framerate and good audio/video sync. It's also cross-platform. That gets you through the offline.

If you cut short-form, then you can relink/transcode to DNXHR on the remote system. Normally the consolidated sequence is small enough to transfer back over the net to your local system for color and online finish- services that are hard to do remotely. Long-form would still need a drive shipment unless you have fiber and so does your client. 

For interactive edit sessions, many years ago I bought a Teradek Cube 655 H.264 encoder and the optional MPEG-TS license. I run SDI out of the Avid into it and then my client can see my Avid output using VLC media player on any platform. The latency is only a second when the client has a decent connection and I can change the encode quality on the Teradek to be lower when their connection isn't as good. It maxes out at 1080P@16Mbps which is pretty much vimeo quality. So, during the review session, we are on Zoom/Teams/Skype and they have VLC for the video feed. VLC also runs on phones, I've had clients review a cut from the backseat of a taxi cab on the way to the airport.

NDI Tools virtual input into Zoom works well. You will need a second machine for you to actually communicate with the client. 

Currently, I am experimenting with another solution called UltraGrid that is open source and can take NDI or a Blackmagic card input and transport it over IP in high quality up to 8K. It has multiple compression options with some using your GPU for encoding. It's a little tricky to setup, but it promises ultra low latency, high quality, maintains color fidelty and is free. 

For what it's worth, I'm planning a move out of state and feel the past year has proven to myself and my clients that editorial can happen anywhere. I'm just going to make sure any house we buy has fiber!

Regards,

Robert

System 1: 2018 Imac Pro 2.5 Ghz Intel Xeon W 14-core Radeon Pro Vega 64 16GB VRAM 64GB System RAM System 2:Late 2014 5K IMAC 4 GHz Intel Core i7... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller