Latest post Fri, Mar 20 2020 5:39 PM by Job ter Burg. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 16 2020 10:27 PM

• Lars G
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 26 2016
    • Posts 5
    • Points 45

Remote Work for a freelancer

With the Corona looming around, the question about working from home is coming up. I've been pushing for remote work for a while now and it seems that this situation have really brought this to light.

So far I've been at the mercy of solutions that production companies have for getting my hands on the material (Google Drive, Dropbox, wetransfer) but most of the time they don't know what they are doing and things go haywire pretty quickly.

As a one-man-show I need to be able to offer such an easy solution for production companies that all they have to do is to plug in a drive and start uploading material. I have to be able to take most of the workload from "check the gate" through to delivery and that includes all the editing, and most of color-correction, music editing, audio, motion graphics, vfx. I usually have to use a combination of Avid, DaVinci Resolve, Premiere and After Effects before sending it off. 

Have anyone else done a complete post-production pipeline for a single-user freelancer that didn't cost an arm and a leg and proved to be easy for everybody involved?

Model: MacBookPro8,1, BootROM MBP81.004D.B00, 2 processors, Intel Core i7, 2.8 GHz, 8 GB, SMC 1.68f99Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000, Intel HD Graphics... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 16 2020 10:42 PM In reply to

Re: Remote Work for a freelancer

There is no easy answer and as you have found budget solutions just don't deliver.

Getting a fast reliable uncontented line to your home isn't cheap and without that you need a large amount of cloud space.

Uploading rushes at full res by client will always be difficult. Most production companies have modest internet connections. Try uploading a few TB of media and you soon see the limiations. 

Unless you set up your own secure hosting solution at home then that client media needs to go to a cloud space and then you need to either download the full res (ouch) or use the cloud provider to transcode for you and you download the offline res.

Then just download the full res for the conform of whats needed.

Nonoe of this is cheap but then remote facilities shouldn't and can't be cheap. Think what the client is saving not using a full blown post house. 

In this environment remote working should command a premium because you can actually do the work.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Tue, Mar 17 2020 12:14 PM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,258
    • Points 15,175

Talking about this, I was wondering what are the options for screen sharing. There are times when I need to work with the director, trying things in real time, so I'd like to be able to show him my monitor output. TeamViewer doesn't send sound, so that's out. Could skype/facetime and point the camera at the monitor, but it's not ideal even with a pretty good internet connexion. Any suggestions?

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig RAM, Mojo DX, 10.14.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.11.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 17 2020 12:40 PM In reply to

pierreh:
    Talking about this, I was wondering what are the options for screen sharing.

The two things I have been looking at:

https://sofimarshall.com/real-time-remote-editing/   (essentially using BMD Web Presenter as a streamer into Zoom).

and Evercast:

https://www.provideocoalition.com/aotc-barton/  (a recording of a live video demo is halfway throught the interview)

I'm not sure but I think Evercast boils down to about 250USD/wk for a 'room'.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 17 2020 3:00 PM In reply to

• pierreh
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Paris, London
    • Posts 1,258
    • Points 15,175

Evercast seems out of my range as the producers won't be able to support. But BMD Web Presenter sounds like a neat option.

- Work: MacPro 2010 3.46Ghz 12 Cores 48Gig RAM, Mojo DX, 10.14.6 - Home: MacBookPro 2.5Ghz quad-i7, 16Gig Mem and SSD OSX 10.11.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 20 2020 4:17 PM In reply to

I've been looking at solutions as well...

Evercast seems to be the better solution, they will charge you 600 rate if you are a freelancer. They used to offer a free week trial but that seems to be gone after the Corona situation. Also, as Sofi's solution, you need to buy loopback as well.

Bebop is great, seems to be developing a 48h trial but costs some.

Sofi Marshal's article might be a good solution as well. Not as neat as Evercast with the several screen streaming but for freelancers, it's the same rez 720p. Requires some up front investment.

It's nuts that after 10 years none came up with something like Apple's IChat theater.

Cheers,

Ed.

Mac Pro 8 core 2.4 Ghz (Middle 2010), 14 Gbs RAM, Matrox MXO2 Mini, GTX970 OSX v.10.10.1 AVID MC 8.3.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 20 2020 4:35 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:
    https://www.provideocoalition.com/aotc-barton/  (a recording of a live video demo is halfway throught the interview)

Job, your clock/leader is kicking again!

Mac Pro 8 core 2.4 Ghz (Middle 2010), 14 Gbs RAM, Matrox MXO2 Mini, GTX970 OSX v.10.10.1 AVID MC 8.3.1 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 20 2020 5:39 PM In reply to

Big Smile

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller