Latest post Mon, Mar 16 2020 4:32 PM by Kyler. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 16 2020 12:55 AM

• Kyler
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 26 2014
    • Boudreau
    • Posts 46
    • Points 540

H.264 4K source footage. Ama link or convert?

I'm cutting a short film shot 4K H.264. Trying to determine the best path to take for cutting in Avid:

1) AMA Link to H.264 footage

2) Convert to Apple ProRes 4444 MOV in Apple Compressor and then AMA Link

3) Convert to Apple ProRes 4444 MXF in Compressor and then AMA link.

I'm guessing option 3 as that's wrapped in a native wrapper and in a friendlier non-delivery codec for editing. Am I thinking this through correctly? Thanks!

Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7GHz Quadcore, 16GB RAM. [view my complete system specs]

kyler boudreau | theatereleven.com

• Mon, Mar 16 2020 9:00 AM In reply to

Re: H.264 4K source footage. Ama link or convert?

Why not AMA link, then transcode inside MC? I doubt if Compressor maintains all metadata.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 16 2020 10:43 AM In reply to

Plus one to Job. Why complicate.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Mon, Mar 16 2020 1:09 PM In reply to

• Kyler
    • Not Ranked
    • Boudreau
    • Posts 46
    • Points 540

Thanks guys. I guess I was going through Compressor to take less CPU when editing vs having Avid do H.264 calculations on the timeline for cuts and such. But if you think that doesn't matter, then yeah... AMA link is way easier!

• Mon, Mar 16 2020 2:10 PM In reply to

I'd rarely suggest editing directly with AMA linked 4K or UHD footage. media management is an issue as is the computing power needed. 

The workflow is AMA link. Make selects and organise.

Then transcode those selects.

All in one app. 

Simples.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Mon, Mar 16 2020 2:33 PM In reply to

• Kyler
    • Not Ranked
    • Boudreau
    • Posts 46
    • Points 540

Pat,

Thanks for your time. 

First, before I comment on what you said, I just tested linking to the H.264 footage, and playback was stuttered on my Mac. Whereas the ProRes 4444 converted footage via AMA link plays back with zero issues. I'm sure if I had a nice Mac Pro this would be much different.

Now, to your comment on making selects and transcoding: If I'm understanding correctly, I select all of my takes to keep, then transcode them. But this is going to create tons of extra files in my AvidMediaFiles folder. I'm not sure what I'm gaining by the transcoding step vs just converting them to 4444 ProRes.

Would you mind expounding on that? Now... I get transcoding to a DNx codec that's lightweight in order to go back on final - Is that what you're saying? I just haven't done that before.

Basically, the last time I cut a feature it was shot on film and I was getting DV tapes from the lab and ingesting them to an SD project... It's been that long!!!! I moved to writing for awhile, and now slowly getting back into post production again.

I want to do proper workflows. It's just changed a bit in my absence.

Also, I see you're an instructor. Happy to pay you for class if that's what it takes.

• Mon, Mar 16 2020 2:48 PM In reply to

Kyler:
    I select all of my takes to keep, then transcode them.

Usually, I would argue: all takes.

But this is going to create tons of extra files in my AvidMediaFiles folder.
    No more than the ones you would create in Compressor.

Kyler:
    not sure what I'm gaining by the transcoding step vs just converting them to 4444 ProRes.
    Metadata and the ability to link back to the originals, should that become necessary at any point.

And to counter your question: what would be the advantage of using Compressor over MC?

Also, I seriously doubt you'd need to move to APR4x4, coming from h264. Seems like overkill to me. You should realize that every render you do, will take up more time and storage space.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 16 2020 3:21 PM In reply to

• Kyler
    • Not Ranked
    • Boudreau
    • Posts 46
    • Points 540

Thanks for the help Job ter Burg!

Your question: Advantage of Compressor over MC?

Guess because I don't have to worry about linking to the originals or littering my AvidMediaFiles folder with excess stuff. If I convert in Compressor, then I can AMA link and my media management is a little more clear to me without having to consolidate files, etc.

You said APR4x4 is overkill. What would you do? I don't want to lose any quality.

Also, if I do the transcode method, what codec should I choose? I see ProRes 422 which seems too low. Also see some DnX stuff, but not sure on which one. 

Ultimately, I want/need to do this post flow the right way, not the comfortable way. So... Guessing based on your comments this is:

1) Transcode

2) Edit

3) Link sequence back to originals

I'm just unfamiliar with point 3.

Thanks again.

• Mon, Mar 16 2020 4:29 PM In reply to

Depends. You won't have to relink to the originals if you transcode to a high quality finishing codec flavor. ProResHQ or DNxHR.

I don't see the problem with the transcodes. If you generate QT's in Compressor, you will have as many files, equally big. If you generate MXF, you'll need to place them in the MediaFiles folder as well. So that's not a very valid argument.

Also, using the traditional Avid MediaFiles folders is more robust than AMA. For anything you work on for more than a day, I would strongly recommend native MXF over AMA linked sources. 

• Mon, Mar 16 2020 4:32 PM In reply to

• Kyler
    • Not Ranked
    • Boudreau
    • Posts 46
    • Points 540

Okay man, I'll do the transcode and see how it goes. So either ProResHQ or DNxHR. Got it.

Thanks again for the help!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller