Latest post Mon, Jun 20 2022 12:13 PM by Chris Bové. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 28 2020 9:58 PM

• Pordenone
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 8 2018
    • Posts 6
    • Points 70

Does an Online Activated license need constant internet connection?

Hello everyone,

We are managing an editing facility on a production location and we are experiencing some odd behaviour on Avid Link.

In the last two years we used to activate a license on Avid link with Online activation and after that we could disconnect the machine from internet without problems, but this year that procedure worked only on two out of our 7 editing machines.

The remaning five need to be connected to internet at startup or Avid asks for activation and launches Avid Link, on which the license results activated and the cycle begin anew.

Connecting to the internet (enabling to ethernet port or connecting the cable) make Avid work normally.

Being logged in with the Avid Master Account or not don't seem to change that behaviour.

I understand that we could use Offline Licenses activations or just keep the workstations online, but I wanted to understand the rule that make Avid Link work without internet connection on some machines but not on (similar) others, despite using the same procedure.

Also it's not very clear if an "Online activation" actually requires to be online at all after the activation itself.

We are currently running Avid Link 20.10, Avid Media Composer Ultimate 2018.12.10 on Windows 10 Pro, version1909.

Thanks for you help.

• Fri, Feb 28 2020 10:47 PM In reply to

Re: Does an Online Activated license needs constant internet connection?

If you are using online activation, it depends. If your license is monthly, the system must "phone home" at least once a month. If you have a yearly, then it only requires a yearly check.

If your license is modified (added plugins, modified duration, etc.) you must login and resync your Avid Link to reflect these changes.

HTH

MC 2022, W10, MSI X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 3080Ti Waterforce, 64GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2019, Big... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 28 2020 11:24 PM In reply to

• Pordenone
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 70

Thankyou for the reply Dom,

I imagined that this was the case.

Still, what can i do on the five machines that currently need to be online for Avid to startup?

I quite don't understand how it's happening, as we are using the same procedure than last year and this time only two out of seven workstations appear to be able to use correctly their licenses even when offline (after being activated, of course).

This happened to somebody else here?

• Sat, Feb 29 2020 3:40 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 2,856
    • Points 31,605
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Hi Pordenone,

Can you email me so we can check the license and figure out what went wrong?

Thanks,

RalphC

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.15.7 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 29 2020 8:08 PM In reply to

• Pordenone
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 70

Thankyou for your reply RalphC, I sent you a PM.

• Thu, Jun 16 2022 8:51 PM In reply to

• Tilmann
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 3 2013
    • Sofia/Karlsruhe
    • Posts 13
    • Points 145

Re: Does an Online Activated license need constant internet connection?

Hey, still having the same problem here, I am very regularly asked to connect to the internet to activate my license. It is an annaual one. Next week I will fly abroad for a documentary shooting and I am a bit concerned how to handle this, when I might be without internet.

Any tips? 

Anybody understands why it does it at all? I am getting this messeage at least twice a week, then I must open Avid Link and sometimes login again and then the circle of pointless reactivation of one and the same license starts again…. :(

Kind regards!

Tilmann

2019 MBP, 2,4 GHz i9, 64GB DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5600M 8 GB, Blackmagic UltraStudio Express, MC 2022.04 on Monterey 2013 iMac14,2, 3,5 GHz Intel Core... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 17 2022 10:33 AM In reply to

Hi Tilmann,

As far as I have been able to understand it used to be depending on your payment method, if monthly, it would check every month +/- 5 days of the expiration date and depending if Avid could process payment would renew.

But, besides administrative errors, the method by which license activation works seems to change lately. Avid did publish info on the new cloud licensing but if this also affected the existing licensing functionality I do not know. 

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own systems: 1x Z420 E5 1650 32GB memory quadro K2200, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 24GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Mon, Jun 20 2022 11:30 AM In reply to

Tilmann:

I am very regularly asked to connect to the internet to activate my license. .... I am getting this messeage at least twice a week...

That's because you have activated your license via cloud licensing.

You have the ability to use either the new cloud activation model or the "take offline" model. Info here: https://www.avid.com/resource-center/avid-media-composer-in-2022-lets-talk-licensing

2014 MacPro 6;1 "trashcan" on Monterey with MC 2022.7. 2019 MBP (Intel) with BigSur running MC 2021.12.2 2014 MBP (Intel) with Mojave running... [view my complete system specs]

Email me to create a support case: chris.bove@avid.com 

------

Chris Bové
    Avid Online Community Manager

• Mon, Jun 20 2022 11:49 AM In reply to

• Tilmann
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 3 2013
    • Sofia/Karlsruhe
    • Posts 13
    • Points 145

Thank you so much for this answer, this was exactly what I was looking for!

Just took it offline and now I can travel in two days relaxed…

Kind regards!

2019 MBP, 2,4 GHz i9, 64GB DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5600M 8 GB, Blackmagic UltraStudio Express, MC 2022.04 on Monterey 2013 iMac14,2, 3,5 GHz Intel Core... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 20 2022 12:13 PM In reply to

Any issues that arise, just ask us. We'll do our best to assist.

2014 MacPro 6;1 "trashcan" on Monterey with MC 2022.7. 2019 MBP (Intel) with BigSur running MC 2021.12.2 2014 MBP (Intel) with Mojave running... [view my complete system specs]

Email me to create a support case: chris.bove@avid.com 

------

Chris Bové
    Avid Online Community Manager

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller