Latest post Fri, Feb 28 2020 4:12 PM by Job ter Burg. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 28 2020 11:02 AM

TC & EC ?

Hi,

Can anyone tell me exactly what TC and EC on the timeline do?  I appreciate that TC means timecode; but what difference does it make to the timeline when I make an edit whether or not I include the source material TC?  Probably as I am not generally cutting for a professional post-house that I do not know.  But for future reference?

And what is good practice generally?

Thanks,

DC

Asus N55SF Notebook running Windows 10 Home Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB System type... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 28 2020 11:15 AM In reply to

Re: TC & EC ?

TC is the master timecode for the sequence you're editing. If you're delivering to a broadcaster, they'll probably want notes telling them about the program. Every broadcaster is different, but they'll generally want to be alerted if there's bad quality source material, user generated content, source material that has no audio, that sort of thing. You'd use your timeline's master timecode for this. For example, a note might say '10:23:42:00 - user generated cell phone video'.

Or maybe you're using music from a music library, or a track that your production has purchased the rights to, and you need to let the production manager know how much of each track was used in the final program. You'd use the master timecode for this, too. i.e. '10:03:58:00 - 10:05:22:00 - music library track ACX3975.02'

Or if you're using footage from a news feed like Associated Press, Reuters, or AFP, you may need to note how much of each feed was used in your program. i.e. '10:44:11:00 - 10:44:34:00 - Reuters 1154'

These are not the only uses; I'm sure other people will chime in with how timecode is used in their workflows.

If you're cutting for a corporate video that's only going on their website, they may not care about timecode so it's not that important.

EC is edge code. You'll need a film editor to explain that.

Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Feb 28 2020 3:07 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,259
    • Points 15,955
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Film editor chiming in...

Yes for EC, you'll only need that if your destination is going to be on film. That goes for any time in the process - meaning you might completely finish your project without the intention to go to film, and then 6 months later the producer calls and says there's "a film screening opportunity" and that they'd like it to be sent to film. It would involve a lot of changes most folks aren't accustomed to, like "true" 24p timelines and so on. 

If this isn't the case, you'll never need EC turned on.

If it IS the case however, let me know and I can overload you with detail ;)  

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: @heybove   Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)   WWND (What Would Norman Do?)   #AllisWell

• Fri, Feb 28 2020 3:43 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,443
    • Points 17,810

@Pixel Monkey

Reading your post made me nostalgic.  Hard to imagine these days that even if an unexpected film print were called for anyone would bother to go back and cut negative.  They'd pull a print from the DCP.

• Fri, Feb 28 2020 4:12 PM In reply to

Supermandan1:
    what difference does it make to the timeline when I make an edit whether or not I include the source material TC?
    You can't include or not include the TC track when editing. The TC track is a counter. It's there. You can turn it off, visually, but it will still be there, under-the-hood.

Same goes for EC (EdgeCode). Also just a counter, but in Feet+Frames (at a specific film gauge, specified in your project settings), rather than hh:mm:ss:ff.

Both are time indicators. TC is heplful to those who are used to counting that way, EC to editors who are used to counting in Feet&Frames.

A source clip does not have a TC track, so you cannot choose to include or exclude it when splicing in a clip. The clip's timecode is stored as metadata in the clip, and that metadata travels with the clip when you splice it into a timeline.

The only times you will see a TC track in the source monitor, is when you load Filler, or when you load a (sub)sequence into the source monitor. But then, this track is not something that you edit. Each sequence has and maintains its own TC track.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller