Latest post Sun, Mar 1 2020 5:07 PM by David. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 20 2020 4:44 PM

• David
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 12 2014
    • UK
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

MC 2019.12 Niggles

A couple of issues I'm having in 2019.12

Audio Mixer fader lag - I'm finding there's sometimes no response to changing fader position when playing the timeline or a significant delay (around 3") before the audio level changes.  Stopping and restarting playback generally sets the new level but not always. The project I'm working on has IVs with chromakeyed backgrounds and I initially wondered if it could be a combination of playing RT effects, playback resolution and maybe more load on the gpu with the new interface, but I'm getting the same fader delay with a video mixdown of the seq and in all replay resolutions.

Spacebar play/pause - Sometimes find that the spacebar doesn't start playback. It's not often but annoying when you're fine trimming. It's not the keyboard.

As I write this, the only issue I'm experiencing is the 3" fader lag. I've not been editing and MC has only been running for maybe 30min. Could there be a cache or buffer that isn't clearing when I'm full-on editing because I do find there are times when I feel I'm having to wait for the interface to catch-up? I have just cleared all the Media cache locations but that hasn't change anything just now. I'll try that if I experience more serious slow-ups.

RE: the new interface - it seems ok when you get through rebuilding your own user settings. Not sure it's any advantage on a dual monitor setup but it probably makes more sense on a laptop.

My main wishlist suggestion would be to better highlight the Active Bin tab. It's not obvious at present. Also, being able to choose a custom colour for Bin tabs would be good.

I often nest related bins or place them in particular areas of the work screen. It feels a bit of a faff to do this now but I guess it's still a bit unfamiliar.

David

MC 2019.12 Win10Pro Core i7 3.40GHz 24GB RAM Nvidia GTX960 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 20 2020 5:03 PM In reply to

Re: MC 2019.12 Niggles

I agree on all, David, especially the lag issue. It stops editing momentum in its tracks!! The interface layout is a disaster in my book, I don't see why it needed any fixing unless they are trying to make Avid look like a competitor's interface, which is dumb...

Avid 2019.12 / Windows 10 Pro / Dell 3630 Precision / Nvidia P2000 / 16 GB RAM / Blackmagic Design Decklink Studio 4K [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 20 2020 11:51 PM In reply to

• David
    • Not Ranked
    • UK
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

Hi Charlie.

The thing that Avid has that separates it from all the others is the quality of the trimming functions. It raises it above being just another computer app and lets you focus on the craft rather than the cursor. You're absolutely right that the lag just throws you out the creative decision making and back into having to think about technical nonsense.

I had a similar reaction to the new interface as well. It seems to be more about making Prem editors more comfortable than actually improving workflow. However, I'm doing a flexible deadline job on it to give it a fair test and once you disable all the defaults, (which almost made me do an immediate uninstall), it can be made to function very like the  previous version. You're just working in a black box rather than seeing your nice desktop picture in the background, (or the useful log document, the script or the Director's notes!). People that develop software rarely venture into the world where it will be used and they don't consider the impact of these things. Sure, I can just hit the 'Show Desktop' button but it's a seismic interuption instead of a quick glance to the left. Doing that 300 times a day would certainly remind you that you're using a computer instead of a creative tool and it would probably fail a Harding test!

I'll complete and deliver this job using 2019 but will switch back to 2018 for the next long-form project. Maybe there's a lot of stuff under the hood in 2019 that's better for post facilities?  Maybe they could just ship it with a 'MC Classic' option button?

David

MC 2019.12 Win10Pro Core i7 3.40GHz 24GB RAM Nvidia GTX960 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 21 2020 1:10 PM In reply to

All the post houses I know in London are still on 2018. No one wants to touch 2019.  After a year of being available, this does not fill me with much confidence.  I don't get why they would waste resources on a cosmetic change no one was asking for when they could have spent that time improving features that would have an actual impact, like a better colour corrector, better tracker, fixing sub frame audio, fixing the title tool etc etc.  Now instead of focussing resources on useful updates, I feel like all the recent releases have just been fixing issues caused by the new design.  Feels like we're standing still on improvements to core functions.  The "new" colour corrector is a great example. Half finished at best.  

Meh, I'm in no rush to update until people actually start saying positive things about it.  So far, compliments seem to be few and far between...

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.11 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 22 2020 1:14 PM In reply to

• David
    • Not Ranked
    • UK
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

ripvanmarlowe:
    All the post houses I know in London are still on 2018. No one wants to touch 2019. 

Hi Andi. If the broadcasters and big post houses dig their heals in then I suppose Avid will have to keep developing the two in parallel, but for how long?  Students on TV production courses are getting taught Premiere because Adobe give the colleges the whole Creative Suite on massive, multi-seat deals so I can understand Avid wanting to make it a bit more familiar to anyone coming from that background and work in UK broadcast. However, for experienced editors 2019 is just a pain when you first encounter it and Avid needs to address that. They're alienating their core users by giving them so much work to do in order to get to some kind of familiar layout. 

I don't mind the workspace buttons in 2019 because I already have my own custom workspaces in my 2018 settings. However, the default 'locked' bin layout is frustrating if you mostly work on long form projects. We all have our own way of organising material and we like the ability to cluster related bins in different places on the work screen. In 2019 You have to spend a lot of time tearing off bins into more familiar, floating groups. I don't see the point of bins being able to nest top and bottom over side by side but someone might find it useful. I also didn't see the point of all bins having a sidebar, (basically the 'project' window), but I guess that would help on a laptop. For me, having all the Smart Tools active as the default was the worst because it wasn't at all obvious how to switch them off. The button on the Timeline didn't work so it may be a bug.

Basically, what I'm saying is, more editors might give 2019 a chance if there was an option in the Install to have it start without those defaults so they can learn about the new stuff by building their interface rather than the current situation of having to shout at it and tear it apart.

However, that still doesn't let you read a document on the desktop without coming out the program...

David

• Sat, Feb 22 2020 8:19 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,724
    • Points 44,695

David:

ripvanmarlowe:
    All the post houses I know in London are still on 2018. No one wants to touch 2019. 

Hi Andi. If the broadcasters and big post houses dig their heals in then I suppose Avid will have to keep developing the two in parallel, but for how long? 

To paraphrase an interview with a retired Avid MC product manager from a few years ago, one of the main rules of product developement was not to do anything that would disrupt the hardware side (Nexus, Isis or whatever it is called) as that is where Avid actually makes a large part of revenue.  And that is heavily weighted to broadcasters.  In this day and age I wonder if the term "big post house" carries any weight with Avid.  I sure do not know.

But I can tell you we are holding on 2018.12.9 for the forceable future.  While we are Mac based, we don't need or want to go to Catalina.  To much stuff we use is not ready.

And while I have not even installed a version of 2019 or 2020 to play with (too busy) I do not see any "Killer App" feature yet that has inspired me to do so.  I just need to get work done and through QC.

Now if Avid would make 3D Warp able to replace FrameFlex in the new version only, I would jump in an instant.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sun, Feb 23 2020 5:05 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,711
    • Points 66,975

Glad to know I'm not alone in the dislike of MC 2019.x. I second all the issues underlined in the previous posts. I have to add that the software feels less responsive than the MC 2018.x on the same hardware. Interface customization is very little, especially with regards to colours. The composer window won't resize on both axis. On a dual monitor system the minimize button on the top right corner of the left monitor, instead of the standard top right corner of the right monitor, is confusing at best. The bins pane on the left of the bin container eats up useful space for bin columns. What's the use of multiple bins pane in each and every bin container? Many other little things, these are the first that comes to mind.

Symphony 20.06, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sun, Feb 23 2020 6:36 PM In reply to

I like 2019/20 for long-form work on a single monitor, software-only system. It's neat.

agree re: colors and customizations.

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 23 2020 8:30 PM In reply to

• touviere7
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 15 2010
    • los angeles
    • Posts 689
    • Points 7,760

i can't help but notice that the last release was two months ago... 

obviously no rush for avid to release tweaks and improvements - and please don't forget titler+

symphony 2020.8 - win 10 pro64 v.1909 - QT essential 7.7.9 - nVidia gtx1080 OC (452.06 studio) - intel i7 6800k @4.2ghz water cooled by corsair H100i V2... [view my complete system specs]

the time you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted time...

• Mon, Feb 24 2020 11:21 PM In reply to

• David
    • Not Ranked
    • UK
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

Cool [H] Re: MC 2019.12 Niggles

Telegram!:

I like 2019/20 for long-form work on a single monitor, software-only system. It's neat.

agree re: colors and customizations.

MC has always been a monster on a single monitor system so I totally see that the 2019 interface will impose some order in that scenario. There are lots of people editing short form stuff on laptops and so it makes Avid a much more viable proposition. Same will apply to current affairs location reporting for broadcasters.

Also glad to see other people asking for more colour options for bins, etc.

I wonder if there is a way to combine both interface options on the same base application without it causing problems? MC Classic for long form crusties and MC Solo for the laptop lightweights! :-D

• Wed, Feb 26 2020 12:52 AM In reply to

• Rob
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 11 2010
    • NYC
    • Posts 125
    • Points 1,575

Is anyone having the issue of when you try selecting the clip, in the timeline, and you click on the effect editor, that the clip either next or above opens up, and not the one selected?

MC 2020 HP Z8 / 192gb / NVIDIA Quadro RTX 6000 / Artist DNXiQ HP z820 / 64gb / NVIDIA M5000 MBPro / 64gb / Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 27 2020 9:11 AM In reply to

I´ll stay on 2018 as long as possible. The 2019 interface drives me nuts, and I really wonder what could have been done with these resources over the years. I don´t see the point at all.

i7 3.4 GHz | Asus HERO Z170 | 32GB Ram | Quadro k620 | Intensity Pro 4K | WIN10 Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 1 2020 5:07 PM In reply to

• David
    • Not Ranked
    • UK
    • Posts 5
    • Points 75

Rob:

Is anyone having the issue of when you try selecting the clip, in the timeline, and you click on the effect editor, that the clip either next or above opens up, and not the one selected?

Not seen that. Often difficult to find the Effect Editor but it has been working ok.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller