Latest post Mon, Feb 17 2020 3:45 PM by Derek young. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Feb 9 2020 11:54 AM

• Derek young
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 26 2011
    • Oxfordshire UK
    • Posts 20
    • Points 240
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video

unable to open file

My computer /system crashed whilst using Media Com[poser and when it rebooted, I launched MC and found that I could not open one of the bins that contained my sequences. A message came up - Unable to open file - file does not contain a valid Avid domain header 19.11.53522

I closed Media Composer and opened the attic, found the bin (prior to the system crash) copied it to my desktop, changed the extension number to .avb, opened up Media Composer and tried to imort the bin onlly lt to have the same error message. Any suggestions please.

I am running a pc with windows 10.

• Sun, Feb 9 2020 12:37 PM In reply to

Re: unable to open file

Derek young:
    opened the attic, found the bin (prior to the system crash) copied it to my desktop, changed the extension number to .avb, opened up Media Composer and tried to imort the bin onlly lt to have the same error message.

Just to make sure, when you say you tried to 'import' the bin, what did you do? If it was File > Import, that won't work. You should be able to open the desktop bin with File > Open.

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Feb 17 2020 3:45 PM In reply to

• Derek young
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 26 2011
    • Oxfordshire UK
    • Posts 20
    • Points 240
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Re: unable to open file

Thanks.

No that did not work.

I copied the attic bin - after changing the extension to the project folder - replacing the corrupted file - then opened Avid Media Composer to be faced with the same message.

I did solve the problem in the end. I took an attic file from the previous day, changed the  extension to .avb and it all opened up OK in Media Composer. It did happen again so I went through the same process only this time I also changed my user settings by setting up completely new settings - although the previous settings were compiled when I installed the current Media Composer - 2019.11.

Thank you for your help. It is always good to know that someone is around that can come up with sensible suggestions.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller