Latest post Tue, Mar 10 2020 11:54 AM by Addi. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 6 2020 7:51 AM

• Addi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 2 2020
    • Posts 11
    • Points 105

Linked media on internal and external hard drives

Hi,

I have a project with all media (footagew, picture and sound) linked from internal and external drives, the project is almost done but I need to take it to a studio for final touch ups, i.e. taking the external drive but not the internal one.

what would be  the simplest way to make sure that all media will be available on a different computer with my external hard drive? 

can I tanscode all media now and than link the timeline to the transcoded media?

p.s.

I can take my desktop with me but prefer to avoid it.

• Sun, Feb 9 2020 3:59 PM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 554
    • Points 6,580

Re: Linked media on internal and external hard drives

right click the sequence -> consolidate/transcode

you can check if it worked right by taking the medifile derectories on your internal drives offline.

MC 2018.12.2 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-6, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 15 2020 12:15 PM In reply to

• Addi
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 105

Thank you,

I'll try that.

• Sun, Mar 8 2020 9:21 AM In reply to

• Addi
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 105

Hi Lukas,

I followed the instructions you suggested and it worked, thank you.

However, now I can't access the original clips - example - if used 1 minute from a 10 minutes clips I can't access the parts of the clip that are not in the timeline. 

Is there anything I could do to make also my originals to be available?

• Sun, Mar 8 2020 3:45 PM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 554
    • Points 6,580

sure. actually there's confusingly many ways.

i'd start by deleting the media we created on the external drive for a clean start.

you can go into your avid mediafiles folder on internal hdd and copy the .mxf clips you guess you'll need, sorting by date. if you right click a clip in a bin in avid and say "reveal file" you'll be taken to the right folder/date

or you could consolidate all the clips in your project to the external drive and link your timeline to that.

or a middle ground would be exporting an aaf with the "copy all media setting"
    then you have full copies of all clips you used. use a folder as "media destination" and move that media into the avid mediafiles folder on the external hdd, link to that or drag .aaf file into avid.

MC 2018.12.2 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-6, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 10 2020 11:54 AM In reply to

• Addi
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 105

I'm missing something cause it didnt work - when I'm loading original media (F5) and "find bin" it shows the linked file and not the transcoded one.

work flow:

transcoded all media,

created a copy of my timeline 

put all transcoded media and timeline in a new bin

selected all

right clicked --> relink - see picture for what I chose

What am I doing wrong?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller