Latest post Thu, Feb 6 2020 1:08 AM by Dom Q. Silverio. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 31 2020 8:56 PM

• krossa
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jan 24 2020
    • Posts 6
    • Points 60

Is it possible to reconstruct a sequence by loading MXF files into MC?

A bin containing an important sequence was lost in a crash while editing in MC (posted to Forum 1/26/2020). Since then, I have restored a copy of the bin from the Attic, but it was badly out of date, and didn't contain the relevant sequence or clips.

I've found a few Forum posts about importing or copying MXF files from outside sources into MC for editing. So, I'm wondering if that approach would be feasible in restoring sequences and clips using MXF files that I've identified on my computer.

I've found a series of MXF files named "Vol.32..." that interest me, but I suspect I might also need to load a ton of underlying clips as well, assuming this approach is even viable.

Before getting out over my skis I'd really appreciate some feedback on this. I welcome any and all thoughts.

Media Composer v.6.0; Win7 x64 Pro*, on HP Z210 Workstation: Intel Xeon E31240 @3.3GHz, 8GB RAM, NVIDEA Quadro 2000. Media on Hitachi G-Raid 4TB. *isolated... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 1 2020 7:14 AM In reply to

• krossa
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 60

Re: Is it possible to reconstruct a sequence by loading MXF files into MC?

I stumbled across a way to recover my sequence as follows: R-clicked on the corrupted bin and selected "reveal." That displayed the filename, etc. in a new window. Then R-clicked on the filename and selected "Restore previous versions" which opened a short list of previous restore points from which I was able to restore a fairly recent version.

I haven't seen that feature documented anywhere, and I'm kicking myself for not finding it sooner. But I'm pleased with the outcome as it will save me many hours of work.

Media Composer v.6.0; Win7 x64 Pro*, on HP Z210 Workstation: Intel Xeon E31240 @3.3GHz, 8GB RAM, NVIDEA Quadro 2000. Media on Hitachi G-Raid 4TB. *isolated... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 5 2020 12:29 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,627
    • Points 66,050

Great! Thank You for sharing. OTOH I'd further investigate the attic out of sync thing....

Symphony 2018.12.3, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Wed, Feb 5 2020 7:34 PM In reply to

• krossa
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 60

Yes, I was pretty disappointed when I learned that there was no current backup for the corrupted bin. What I did find was a list of fifty files, 49 of which covered roughly one day of activity from several months ago, and one file time-stamped at about the time of the crash. When I restored that file, the content was a few months out of date (despite the timestamp).

My takeaway from this (and I am only surmising), is that Attic is effectively limited to 999 overwrites for any given Project, and beyond that it simply overwrites the most current version as *1 instead of dropping the oldest. It looks that way because the file extensions of the 49 files were numbered from 951 to 999. The current version was numbered "1" (*.1). It seems that once the process hits the 3-digit wall of 999 it reverts to 1, but for some reason it does not continue scrolling off the oldest version (951) to open a slot for 2,3,4...

Perhaps I'm wrong, and someone here has a better explanation for this phenomenon. But lacking some kind of explanation, that's how I'm interpreting what I'm seeing.

I wish I had known about this limitation, but I now know that I should periodically break from editing and take a good look under the hood to make sure that Attic and other internal systems are working as expected.

Thanks, Luca, for taking an interest. I'd like to know what you might have to add.

• Wed, Feb 5 2020 8:37 PM In reply to

• krossa
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 6
    • Points 60

CORRECTION: the limitation occured within a Bin, not a Project.

• Thu, Feb 6 2020 1:08 AM In reply to

You can change autosave and attic behavior in Settings -> Bin. It is a user based setting.

MC 2019.9, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Gigabyte 2080Ti Auorus, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller