Latest post Sun, Feb 2 2020 4:52 PM by jef. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 30 2020 3:52 AM

Is Symphony the only way of color correcting?

Hi there, I'm a Windows 10 user of AMC of about a year, so still quite new to the Avid platform. My question is related to color correcting.

I am hoping someone might be able to tell me whether Symphony is now the only way of color correcting in AMC?

I have version 2019.7 of AMC and have been attempting to grade an online TV show but have been met with a very bare bones set of correction tools, compared to previous versions of MC. When I select the color correction workspace nothing happens - like literally nothing. When I find the color correction effect in the effect palette and drag it on to a clip, I'm presented with some brightness, contrast and hue adjusters but that's it. Surely there's more CC controls in there somewhere?

If anyone can offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated. I have two more episodes to grade and don't really want to have to run it through Premiere again (tried sending the AAF to Da Vinci Resolve which of course just ended up in lost time due to unseuccessfully trying to help DVR find the project's clips - which Premiere had no problem locating).

Thank you very much for any help you can provide on this.

Chris

• Sun, Feb 2 2020 4:52 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,607
    • Points 43,435

Re: Is Symphony the only way of color correcting?

It sounds as if you are having some issues with the 2019 version of MC.  With a deadline looming I would think about down grading to the most recent version of the 2018 line.  2019 is mainly a massive UI change.  2018.12.9 is working pretty well for me.  Symphony is definitely as full featured as it ever was in that version.

And while there are some issues with roundtripping with Resolve, it does work.  You just have to understand the rules and not deviate from them.  But that is a whole different discussion.

Good luck,

Jef

EDIT: Good stuff on round trip:  http://community.avid.com/forums/t/198733.aspx

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller