Latest post Tue, Feb 18 2020 2:12 PM by Jason Sedmak. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jan 26 2020 6:21 PM

• Rui Costa
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 28 2010
    • Posts 18
    • Points 275

Media Composer 2019.12 to Da Vinci Resolve round trip

Hi,

I am using the latest version of Media Composer 2019.12 and I have finished all my editing and I would like to send my sequence to Da Vinci Resolve 16 for color correction.

I have had a good look online searching for some tutorials and detailed info about the workflow for this process, most of the articles that I have found are out date, and they do refer to previous versions of media composer.

I would like to ask if there is updated article for the current version of the media composer on how to make this trip?

I did a few attempts, but they were nor sucessfull:

I have tried to consolidate my finished sequence and then with the new consolidated sequence I exported it as an AAF file.

Imported into Resolve 16 this AAF file and I could see my sequence, but all the media was offline.

Many Thanks

Rui

• Sun, Jan 26 2020 7:52 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,601
    • Points 43,355

Re: Media Composer 2019.12 to Da Vinci Resolve round trip

Chapter 50 Conforming AAF Files of the latest DaVinci Resolve 16.1.2 Reference Manual gives very good step by step workflow.

https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/UserManuals/DaVinci_Resolve_16.1.2_Reference_Manual.pdf?_v=1576656010000

It really should not matter what version Avid you are using for this, unless something has broken the AAF output of Avid.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Wed, Jan 29 2020 2:52 AM In reply to

Hi Rui,

I think you're workflow is pretty close. I do this same round-tripping constantly and have found that the easiest way to keep it simple is to consolidate the final timeline in Avid to its own drive. In my case I make a partition on our Nexis specifically for color correction. I found Resolve got stuck looking for clips in a normal AvidMedia Files folder structure.

Consolidate with handles the final timeline to that partition or drive, that way when you can have resolve only look for your media in one location instead of having it search your AvidMedia files folders that contain all of your media.

After that, export the AAF and import to Resolve. Have resolve import and link the clips and you should be good to go. After grading, I create a folder in the same partition as the raw media, usually named with the show number. 

I often will rename the AvidMedia Files folder from "1" to the show number I'm working on. As long as you name it properly, Avid will see it when you bring it back in to Media Composer (assuming you are).

At the end of a series, I'll have folders for RAW clips and Graded clips for every show. Easy for archiving too.

2010 Mac Pro Radeon GTX 580 2xQuad Core, 96 GB RAM MC with Symphony - current version macOS Mojave 2019 16" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz 8-Core AMD Radeon Pro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 29 2020 6:32 PM In reply to

I, too, do this ALL the time.

We source from a very very large variety of camera material, so the way I work has been put through it's paces for years.

Whether you are editing on AVID from linked material, or transcoded material (in AVID or otherwise), the process is the same. We ALWAYS color off of camera originals in Resolve, and almost NEVER from anything exported out of AVID.

1) Once you are locked in AVID, do your best to simplify the timeline(s), and export a linked AAF.

2) In Resolve, bring source camera files into the media pool. Then import the AAF NOT automatically importing clips (since they are already in the media pool). You can have the colorist QC the link agains a work picture to make sure all has linked correctly.

3) Color in Resolve, export timeline clips using whatever codec, handles and raster you are wanting for your conform. The key here is make certain the colorist keeps "source" file names, and changes the renders to "Suffix." NO AAF from Resolve is needed.

4) Link to the Resolve renders in a new AVID bin.

5) Select all of your Resolve clips in your new bin (deselect EVERYTHING else in other bins or close them).

6) Right-click your sequence in AVID that you want to have linked to the Resolve renders, and select "Relink." In the Relink tool, change "Relink selected items to:" to "Selected items in ALL open bins." Change "Relink by:" to "Timecode: Start" and "Source Name: Name." Usually, you'll want to check the box that says "Ignore extension" and DEFINITELY you'll want to add _V to "Ignore characters after last occurence:" because the Resolve renders will all have a "_V" with track number and clip number because you told the colorist to create files with "Suffix." Finally, deselect the check boxes under "Video Parameters" for "Audio" and "Data," and up to you if you want to "Create new sequence" or not. Sometimes your "link" parameters need to be experimented with depending on the files and how you offlined, but the key here is to understand you are giving AVID two different parameters to find matches and they can be just about anything -- I just find the greatest success with "timecode" and "name." I'd make sure "Allow relink across rates" is selected if this is the case.

7) If you don't get a successful link the 1st time, you can play with the characters to "Ignore" but very very rarely do you EVER need to check the box that says "Target (if different than Original).

EXTRAs) It's always a good idea to have the colorist render handles, but most especially when you have used time-remaps in AVID. If clips don't link, usually it's due to insufficient handles. I also choose to color all of my Resolve-linked clips and turn on "Source" clip color in the timeline to get a super fast verification that my timeline has fully linked to the color renders. Make sure your render settings are to the correct codec/quality before any renders. 

Lastly) I almost always have the colorist render camera-original raster sizes even if my deliverable is only HD or 4K. Sometimes, exporting out "Same As Source" QTs will create a slight color-shift if these source renders don't adhere to your timeline codecs/frame-rate/raster, so it's always a good idea to do a video mixdown and export a sequence with just that using Same As Source to make absolutely certain you don't get the shift.

Reach out with questions.

J

Hackintosh i9-9900K, AMD Radeon Vega 64, 64 GB RAM, m.2 SSD, 8x 10GigE to Terrablock, BM SDI 4k, currently running Mac OS 10.14.6. Symphony 2019.12.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 31 2020 10:21 AM In reply to

Jason Boucher - I do this a lot, teaching ... the round-trip normally works - I consolidate to a folder, rather than an existing Avid MediaFiles folder, which is what I think you are suggesting.

iMac i5 27", 40GB RAM, OS 10.14.6 with Symphony 2019.12, BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.13.6 with MC 2018.12.12 and BMD... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Wed, Feb 12 2020 8:54 PM In reply to

• Rui Costa
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jan 28 2010
    • Posts 18
    • Points 275

Many Thanks to everyone who replied to my question, very helpful.

I have managed in the end to export sucessfully my sequence and import it into Resolve 16.

Basically I have transcoded my sequence to DNxHD 185 X 

Exported the transcoded sequence as an AAF with a all media in a separted folder next to the AAF file

However there was a clip in the timeline for some reason kept being missing upon the import into resolve,

and it was a weird behaviour, didn't make any sense. In Avid everything was fine.

The soluntion I found was, export this specific clip in my timeline in Avid as an DNxHD 185 X, save it with a different name in another location, relink this clip again into avid and replace it in my sequence.

It worked..

• Thu, Feb 13 2020 6:05 PM In reply to

Interesting. I have a set of clips for teaching. Last year (earlier version of Resolve 15) all came across correctly. This year (later version of Resolve 15), One clip stubbornly stays offline and Resolve reports a different timecode to that seen in Avid. No solution found yet.

iMac i5 27", 40GB RAM, OS 10.14.6 with Symphony 2019.12, BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.13.6 with MC 2018.12.12 and BMD... [view my complete system specs]

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Thu, Feb 13 2020 10:06 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,536
    • Points 64,255
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Try modifying the clip parameters of the stubborn clip in Resolve. It might be a different source rate than the other clips in the sequence or have a time warp that is confusing things.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Sat, Feb 15 2020 10:52 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 648
    • Points 8,125

Roger Shufflebottom:

Interesting. I have a set of clips for teaching. Last year (earlier version of Resolve 15) all came across correctly. This year (later version of Resolve 15), One clip stubbornly stays offline and Resolve reports a different timecode to that seen in Avid. No solution found yet.

That's why I always tell my students to test the workflow with the particular versions of software/hardware/camera to be used when making their programmes.

I too have noticed things 'change' when demonstrating workflows. The last one was Resolve 16 (not sure which point release) refusing to link back to the camera originals (Avid AAF) whilst the DNX36 media was available on the same workstation. The answer in this case was to remove all DNX36 from the media pool, import the camera originals into the media pool first and then import the AAF with 'Automatically import Media' switched off and 'link to camera originals' switched on.

As to your problem with the 'stubborn' clip, I've had problems relinking media when the original media had no proper timecode when it was imported into Avid. You can usually see this because the start timecode is all zeros. Someone suggested that some software has problems with this because of the way they view the first frame of this type of media. Some see it as 00:00:00:00 and others see it as 00:00:00:01 - which causes it not to relink.

Not had time to test this out, but I always advise students to make sure their media has valid timecode not starting at zero.

I suggest they use something like QTChange (https://www.videotoolshed.com/handcrafted-timecode-tools/qtchange/) for this purpose.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 2018.9, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 15 2020 10:59 AM In reply to

Hi Bruno. What you say is true but in the case of my rogue clip, I think it was shot on a 'proper' video camera with TC not starting at zero. I'll play around with it and see where I get.

• Sat, Feb 15 2020 3:56 PM In reply to

At the end of the day, you can simply edit the clip from your media pool into the resolve timeline -- it does have editing features. 

Hackintosh i9-9900K, AMD Radeon Vega 64, 64 GB RAM, m.2 SSD, 8x 10GigE to Terrablock, BM SDI 4k, currently running Mac OS 10.14.6. Symphony 2019.12.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 15 2020 4:45 PM In reply to

Yes - of course I could and would if this were a real job. But I'm teaching the workflow and this particular shot used to come across and is great for showing secondaries in Resolve and I'd like to nail the problem.

• Sat, Feb 15 2020 5:05 PM In reply to

Ah, yeah, sorry. 
    Well, then, what kind of clip is this? What camera? You say it has TC, but what kind? You say that in previous Resolve versions it worked, but now it doesn't, so, perhaps since the update your Resolve settings have changed? Could it be reading SMPTE now where as before it was reading TOD? Vic versa?

• Sat, Feb 15 2020 5:12 PM In reply to

Not at work right now. Will check on Monday. Good thing I like solving puzzles!

• Sat, Feb 15 2020 5:18 PM In reply to

I'm pretty booked up myself, but am happy to help where I can if u ever want to share said clip. 

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller