Latest post Wed, Jan 22 2020 1:52 PM by Corne Scheepers. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 22 2020 11:21 AM

Media Composer/After Effects workflows to minimize banding

A question of all the After Effects/Media Composer people out there please:

I do a lot of After Effects work that goes into Media Composer and I was wondering if there are any workflow improvements I can make that will help to minimize banding in graphics with gradients. I apply small amounts of noise to gradients in After Effects that seems to help up to a certain point. For graphics that require an alpha channel I render as QT Animation, and for full screen graphics I render out in Avid DNx.

I've attached my After Effects export template. Currently I render at 8-bit. Will 10bit make any real difference going into Avid?

Lately I've started to render my AE comps out in 3840x2016, import into Avid at UHD and then switch down to 1080p for editing to allow me to reframe if neccesary with Frameflex. I then export my completed sequences from Avid at 1080p Same As Source to Sornenson Squeeze etc.

Any comments or improvements I can make? I'm self-taught in After Effects so chances are I'm going wrong somewhere...

Avid Media Composer 2020.4 HP ZBook 17 Gen3, i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60Ghz Win 10, 64GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 22 2020 1:38 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,692
    • Points 44,400

Re: Media Composer/After Effects workflows to minimize banding

Set AE to 16 bit not 8 bit and render a a 10 bit codec for Avid.  And if you bring 8 bit codec footage into AE, don't expect magic (garbage in - garbage out).  This works for me.

Animation codec is an old RGB 8 bit codec.  You can make DNx HQx outputs with alpha from AE that will be 10 bit.

There is a setting in AE where you can force 16 bit render even if you have 8 bit set in the working area.  This can be helpful to speed up the desgin process.  Renders will be slower.

But all is lost if you are going to end up in a 8 bit codec for final output.  Start at the end and work backwards!

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Wed, Jan 22 2020 1:52 PM In reply to

Re: Media Composer/After Effects workflows to minimize banding

Thank you so much Jef! This is exactly the advice I hoped for and this is also why I love these forums so much! Will apply these workflow changes and report back

Thanks for sharing!

Avid Media Composer 2020.4 HP ZBook 17 Gen3, i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60Ghz Win 10, 64GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller