Latest post Tue, Jan 21 2020 5:32 AM by mrsigug. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 18 2020 4:02 AM

• mrsigug
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 11 2015
    • Posts 10
    • Points 125

Quicktime still necessary?!

Hi,

I don't follow development updates or stuff like that but somehow I thought the latest Avid wouldn't need a deprecated software/codec to be installed anymore?

I just installed the latest Avid Media Composer and when I start it it says there should be Quicktime installed? Quicktime hasn't been updated since 2016 (!).

What am I missing?

Thanks!

• Sat, Jan 18 2020 9:53 AM In reply to

Re: Quicktime still necessary?!

Avid is moving towards removing QT requirements and the recent Apple OS update Catolina has forced Avids hand.

There are many who question why this wasn't addressed years ago however here is where we are.

So currently you do still need Quicktime installed to get ful functionality.

QT hasn't been updated for years but if you follow Avids advice to only install the core components and not the QT player or web components you aren't exposed to the later QT vunerabilities Apple didn't fix.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Sat, Jan 18 2020 6:09 PM In reply to

• mrsigug
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10
    • Points 125

Thanks, but what advice? And how do I get the QT player, even without the core components?

I downloaded the latest Avid, started the program and it says there should be Quicktime. But where is the link to download etc?

• Sat, Jan 18 2020 6:35 PM In reply to

• Leo Baker
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 5 2011
    • London
    • Posts 493
    • Points 5,790

You can download Quicktime 7.7.9 last version for Windows from the Apple website

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL837?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,

Leo

MacPro6.1 Late 2013 Intel Xeon 12-Core 2.7GHz 64GB RAM AMD FirePro D700 6GB OSX Mojave 10.14.6. Media Composer 2020.5, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.5, Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 21 2020 2:01 AM In reply to

thanks for the quicktime tip, pat...that's an easy fix and not one most editors seem to be aware of.

I just uninstalled QT and then reinstalled without the extras...easy.

thanks again...

• Tue, Jan 21 2020 5:32 AM In reply to

• mrsigug
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 10
    • Points 125

Thanks, but yeah, it wasn't so much about the link but that you buy an expensive software, and then literally get no info whatsoever (by the software or the official developer) that you actually have to install a 4 year old other software and no info on where etc. But yeah, thanks. cheers

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller