Latest post Sun, Jan 19 2020 7:11 PM by Lukas Boeck. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 17 2020 11:29 PM

Workflow for multi-formats advice

I have a show that was shot mostly in 4k, both DCI and UHD. Partially in 1920x1080, and will also have both HDV and SD DVCPRO50 anamorphic footage.

I want to cut the show in 1920x1080 DNxHR HQ. At the end I want to also conform the show in 4k.

! have a 32TB array for the HD and a 72 for the 4K, my thought to source link and transcode all the ftg to both at the outset.

How do I do this so when I am ready to conform to the 4K I can just easily switch arrays and the project ses the same show, only in 4K (i.e. uses the HD was a proxy).

How do I ensure that if I have to go back to camera orginal, it will relink and find it easily?

Do I need all the camera orignal on its own array?

Do all the arrays have to be named the same and only one connected at a time?

Thank you

iMac (Retina 5K, 27 inch, late 2017) 3.8ghz Intel Core i5, 64gb 2400 mhz DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 580 8gb, OS Mojave 10.14.6, Avid MC 2019.12.0 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 19 2020 7:11 PM In reply to

• Lukas Boeck
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 31 2015
    • Austria
    • Posts 554
    • Points 6,580

Re: Workflow for multi-formats advice

Ah, sounds a bit complicated.

The arrays don't need to be the same name or anything.

I don't know how much you're shooting.

If possible, i'll ingest everything at the original quality and only rarely relink anything.

Your HDV and DVCPRO can be ingested as they are, won't take much space.

Don't know what 4K you're shooting, If you can consolidate that and comfortably not run out of space, I'd do that.

You don't have to keep the camera orignals on one array but you should try, it would make backups, relinking and purposefully taking stuff offline easier.

You can arrange your media in the AvidMediafiles/MXF folder any way you like. You can manually put all DVCPRO footage in say the folder 10, 4K footage of shooting date xyz into folder 11 and take them on and offline as you like by removing from MXF folder. The trick is to keep the folder MXF/1 clean and always grab newly ingested stuff and moove it where you want it.

I hope that wasn't too cryptic.

MC 2018.12.2 Cusom bulid Supermicro X9SRL-F, 32 Gig Ram, 3ware 9750 6x6TB Seagate EC Drives, LSI 9207 + LTO-6, Mojo DX, Artist Color, Flanders CM240, GTX... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller