Latest post Tue, Jan 21 2020 4:17 PM by ripvanmarlowe. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jan 17 2020 12:27 PM

Changing timecode of clips has changed...

It used to be you could type in the new start timecode of a clip, Avid would ask you if you wanted to change it and you said yes and the tc was changed.  Now (2018.12.8) I find that in order to change the timecode of a clip, I need to first modify it to add a tape name which obviously adds extra time to every roll I need to change (which is all of them).  

To confuse things further, on clips with a start tc of 00:00:00:00 changing the tc works in the old way i.e I don't need to add a tape name.  Changing it on 1080p clips seems to work the same way too. Changing it on greater than HD clips seems to require a tape name.  

Can we have some consistency please and ideally the fewer steps the better. Something like changing a tc should be straightforward and not require a bunch of extra steps to make it work.  

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.11 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 20 2020 9:39 AM In reply to

Re: Changing timecode of clips has changed...

That sounds terrifying. 

Changing the timecode of clips!

Also adding a tape name wipes u[out the source file name and source path. I presume you don't need to ever go back to the orginals in a conform?

But for those that do changing timecode shouldn't be easy!

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | www.vet-training.co.uk|

• Mon, Jan 20 2020 12:31 PM In reply to

Hi Pat, it's really not that terrifying when the cameras are not recording proper tc to start with.  I'm talking about gopros, minicams, drone material etc. These are often fed with LTC from a Tentacle which records the LTC to an audio track. This then needs replacing within Avid in order to group with the other cameras that are shooting regular EBU timecode.  

We work full res so there is no conform, obviously Avid need to remove all of the functions that rely on adding a tape name. That shouldn't be a thing any more and like you said, it removes the source path too - disk label is just fine for logging a source.

In scenarios like mine changing the timecode should absolutely be easy. I would hope that people don't go around changing timecode without good reason. I have a good reason and Avid makes it more annoying than it should be to perform this task - a simple dialog warning would suffice, no need to jump through hoops renaming sources etc. It used to work fine (not fine but better - I've been asking for the ability to copy the aux tc coloumn in to the main tc column for years but still nothing from Avid) so this is just another example of weird random little changes that happen within the software that break functionality. 

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.11 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 20 2020 6:26 PM In reply to

Maybe this is a stupid suggestion, but have you tried duplicating your Start TC into the Aux TC 1 column.  (Choose the START column, hit ctrl/cmd+D and then choose the Aux TC 1 column.  Once that timecode is copied over, then you can easily re-type any timecode you want to change.  Then when you multigroup, just choose to synce via Aux TC 1.

Follow me at www.twitter.com/redarrowryan [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 21 2020 4:17 PM In reply to

Unfortunately these are very long sync maps and Avid doesn't let you autosequence by aux tc.  So i need the main TC field to be correct in order to make the autosequences to build the sync map.  The main A and B cameras have locked tc that is accurate, the others do not (there's about 6-8 other cameras without accurate tc) so I need to be able to change their timecodes in order to build the sync map correctly.

It's a very stop and start production and in order for the edit to be clear with production, we need to maintain time of day for the groups so we can refer to production logs regarding when a scene was shot so multigrouping is out. 

All this could be solved by being able to duplicate the aux tc in to the source tc field. It can be done the other way around, I don't see why it's such an issue. 

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Andi

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller