Latest post Mon, Jan 6 2020 10:54 PM by Eric. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 1 2020 5:24 PM

• Eric
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Canada
    • Posts 568
    • Points 6,485

Help with AAF Relink

I exported an film project AAF from FCPX/Premiere/Resolve.

I have tried each of the above with varying processes involving third-party software.

I can get the RED files to relink but audio is just plain useless with AAF for me.

The audio from the shoot is named in shot/takes. I can see the actual WAV filename in the TapeID column.

I have tried everything and I still cant get the audio to relink.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Apple OS X 10.13.6 MC 2018.10.0 Avid Arist I/O [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 1 2020 8:42 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,654
    • Points 43,985

Re: Help with AAF Relink

Eric:

I exported an film project AAF from FCPX/Premiere/Resolve.

I have tried each of the above with varying processes involving third-party software.

That is a very confusing statement.  Can you give a more detailed explanation?  Where did the project start?  What exactly are you trying to bring into Avid?  One sequence or an entire project?  What third-party software?

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Thu, Jan 2 2020 1:41 PM In reply to

• Eric
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Canada
    • Posts 568
    • Points 6,485

Project origin FCPX.

Completely stripped down to bare clips.

Exported FCPXML > XtoCC > Premiere.

Cleaned up again in Premiere and made sure all connections to RAID is intact.

Exported an AAF with no rendering.

Imported into Resolve with same above connection steps.

Project works great in FPC/Premiere/Resolve with all connections to raw RAID.

Exported over a dozen variations from Resolve AAF to Avid and all I got going are the RED/Sony/GoPro clips.

No audio connected to clips, completely stripped sinceit should only be WAV from shoot.

AMA linked the original WAV and it shows up as SCENE/TAKE under NAME column.

I can see the actual filename under TapeID column.

Nothing has worked since as far as relink to original.

AAF filenames are intact since other NLEs.

I also tried X2Pro and that didnt work.

The only option left is to use ProTools but thatll have to wait.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Apple OS X 10.13.6 MC 2018.10.0 Avid Arist I/O [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jan 3 2020 2:57 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,541
    • Points 64,320
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

See if there is anything in the Reel Name column in Resolve's Media page.  If not, trynchanging the settings in Resolve to derive the reel number and export a new AAF after rendering out the clips.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Sun, Jan 5 2020 9:57 PM In reply to

• Eric
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Canada
    • Posts 568
    • Points 6,485

Thanks everyone for chiming in. Here is what ive been posting on the net for my AAF issues:

After numerous attempts at different workflows, I finally figured out the root of all my issues with using AAFs from Premiere to Avid.

For some weird reason, FCPX (assembly edit) had half the WAV files in Dolby 5.1.

I had to strip all Dolby files down to mono channels.

Basically one by one in FCPX.

Then exported XM, use XtoCC and import in Premiere.

From there I had no issues ever.

But to get it to work in Avid I had to add Pro Tools in the middle.

Exported an AAF with MXF and voila!!

All opened fine in Avid MC.

I could try and relink but all channels are intact and really don't need to add any more stress.

If I have time I will try and open that AAF into Resolve and see if the AAF export works here but I have to move on.

• Mon, Jan 6 2020 12:05 PM In reply to

I'm afraid beyond what I've already posted I can't offer any help.

But moving between different systems is always fraught with potential issues and I'd only use a workflow I'd tested and had benefits that I needed.

This seem the most convuluted workflow I've seen in a long time. I would stongly suggest simplifying the workflow.

Why come back to Avid from Resolve? Why take Audio to Resolve? You have been in Preniere why not use that?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Mon, Jan 6 2020 10:54 PM In reply to

• Eric
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Canada
    • Posts 568
    • Points 6,485

Pat Horridge:
    This seem the most convuluted workflow I've seen in a long time.

Totally agree.

I asked numerous times if this project is going to Avid and I was told it wasnt.

But of course, at the end they asked for an Avid version :P

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller