Latest post Fri, Jan 3 2020 9:16 PM by Marcus Johnson. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 19 2019 3:27 PM

Titler Pro Standalone Issues

I am working on a project that was started on a Mac with MC 2018.  It is now on a PC with MC 8.9.1.  The old Title Tool Application is not available, evidently.  What is installed is New Blue Titler Pro Standalone.  To say that this program is a piece of crap is to sully the name of crap.  There are so many issues.  Now, I understand Avid is getting away from NBTP... but what to what??  I'm loathe to change something like that out in midstream.    So here are the issues I'm hoping I can get help with.

1.   While you can save the title outside of Avid with a name, when it's in the timeline, it only says "filler."  (These are all still titles with simple fade up/outs.)  Is there a way to get it to show it's name on the timeline?
    2. The titles corrupt easily.  I have no idea how this happens or how to fix it.  But I seem to be re-doing a lot of titles.
    3. During playback the titles will stretch out or do a "rubber band" stretch out and in -- making it difficult to read the title and distracting during the screening.  I've tried rendering them, but if you hit stop, that rendering doesn't seem to hold.
    4. Since the titles are saved outside the project (instead of in a bin like the old title tool), it becomes quite cumbersome to get that title back in the project if something goes wrong.  It's "easier" to just create a new title -- but even that is taking time away from things that should be getting my attention. 
    5. Is it possible to get the old title tool application?
    Any help would be much appreciated.
  • Thu, Dec 19 2019 8:45 PM In reply to

Re: Titler Pro Standalone Issues

So you have gone back to an older Avid Version 8.9.1? That should have the old title tool. Even MC 2019.11 has the old title tool.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hostred Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Thu, Dec 19 2019 8:49 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,756
    • Points 48,055
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Sam,

What is the project format?

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia RTX 2060 Super 8, Win 10 Pro, MC (generally the latest or the one just before) [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Thu, Dec 19 2019 9:31 PM In reply to

samincanada:

1.   While you can save the title outside of Avid with a name, when it's in the timeline, it only says "filler."  (These are all still titles with simple fade up/outs.)  Is there a way to get it to show it's name on the timeline?
    2. The titles corrupt easily.  I have no idea how this happens or how to fix it.  But I seem to be re-doing a lot of titles.
    3. During playback the titles will stretch out or do a "rubber band" stretch out and in -- making it difficult to read the title and distracting during the screening.  I've tried rendering them, but if you hit stop, that rendering doesn't seem to hold.
    4. Since the titles are saved outside the project (instead of in a bin like the old title tool), it becomes quite cumbersome to get that title back in the project if something goes wrong.  It's "easier" to just create a new title -- but even that is taking time away from things that should be getting my attention. 
    5. Is it possible to get the old title tool application?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi Sam,

Do you know which version of Titler Pro you're using? 

Since Titler Pro is applied as an effect in Media Composer, the clip on your timeline is going to keep the name of the video clip it was applied to. So if you apply Titler Pro to a blank spot on your timeline, then Media Composer will add Filler and apply the effect to it. I believe that Avid's new Titler + also has this limitation.

As far as the titles "stretching out," it's important to make sure that your timeline length inside Titler Pro matches the length of the clip on your Media Composer timeline, or else you will see the animation extended to fill the space. Another option, since it sounds like you're doing static titles, is to switch Titler Pro to "Still Title" mode instead of "Animated" and add the dissolves on your Media Composer timeline instead.

• Thu, Dec 19 2019 10:52 PM In reply to

I do not even know or understand why they went back.  However, in the MC8.9.1, there is no title tool application.  If you click on that, a message pops up that says to install New Blue Titler for use in a project this size.  I'm not sure how or where to find the older Title Tool application.

• Thu, Dec 19 2019 11:00 PM In reply to

It doesn't really say.  When I look at the About, it just says Build 180117.  On the desktop, it says New Blue Titler Pro Standalone.

As for my specs its 2k DCI Flat 1998x1080 1.85.1  23.976.

I'm not really applying it to a clip, per se.  Some of the titles are actual titles (e.g. Chicago, 1952).  Others are note (Character should be in a certain outfit).  Some are ADR and pick up notes.  So they're not applied to a clip but rather just placed on their own track on the timeline.

The stretching out is not about time but about the way the title appears.  Instead of appearing normal, it is stretched across the entire screen (or in some cases, bounces between normal and stretched wide).

The titles have been done in Still title mode.  I did try "updating" one to animated so that the fade up and out would be baked into the title.  But that seemed like more work than just dropping a head and tail fade on it.

What's most frustrating about this is that we're not finishing the project here.  So the titles will actually be done somewhere else.  But I need them in the timeline for tracking, etc.

• Thu, Dec 19 2019 11:01 PM In reply to

2k DCI Flat 1998x1080 1.85.1  23.976.

It's also animation.. not live action.

• Thu, Dec 19 2019 11:16 PM In reply to

samincanada:
    in the MC8.9.1, there is no title tool application. 

Yes there is.  But only in HD or lower resolution.

DStone:

What is the project format?

Dave's question is key.   If you are working in higher than HD (1920x1080) project resolution, the Title Tool will not appear as an option.   Switch your resolution to HD and I bet the Title Tool option will be there.

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Sun, Dec 22 2019 10:35 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,756
    • Points 48,055
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Sam,

If you have titles from the orignal Avid Titler, then, as Terry points out, you're limited to HD. If you change the project format to HD, you can get the old titler to work, but anything it creates will need to be uprezed to DCI. In this case, you are unlikely to notice a difference (1998x1080 vs 1920x1080). You may have to deal with a small change of aspect ratio, but again that also might not be noticeable. It's worth giving it a try and see what you get for a result.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia RTX 2060 Super 8, Win 10 Pro, MC (generally the latest or the one just before) [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Mon, Dec 30 2019 4:48 PM In reply to

Switching seemed to screw some other things up so that's not an option.     I still havent been able to figure out why the title stretches across the screen.  Nor have I been able to get the title to be named anything other than "filler."  Unfortunately, I'm taking up where others left off so I don't always have or understand the logic of why certain choices were made.  I'm left to live with them or figure out a work around.

• Fri, Jan 3 2020 9:16 PM In reply to

samincanada:

Switching seemed to screw some other things up so that's not an option.     I still havent been able to figure out why the title stretches across the screen.  Nor have I been able to get the title to be named anything other than "filler."  Unfortunately, I'm taking up where others left off so I don't always have or understand the logic of why certain choices were made.  I'm left to live with them or figure out a work around.

Hi Sam,

My apologies if my explanation was confusing earlier. There really isn't a way to make a Titler Pro title say anything other than "Filler" on your timeline. It works as a video effect, and any video effect you place on an empty section of your timeline in Media Composer shows up as "Filler." So for instance if you put the Color Correction effect on a blank spot of your timeline, it would also say "Filler."

As for the video being stretched out, please double-check your Video Quality settings; if you've got them set to "Draft" (half green / half yellow) and the title isn't rendered you might see this on playback. Rendering the title or setting Video Quality to "Full" should fix the issue.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller