Latest post Tue, Dec 17 2019 6:30 PM by Pat Horridge. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 11 2019 9:59 PM

• mmagder
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 1 2010
    • Passaic NJ
    • Posts 221
    • Points 2,800

are bins stored anywhere other than the Attic to recover

is there only one copy in of timeline versions in the attic, or is this another place?

thanks

Mac OSX 10.14.5 3.8 GHz Intel Core i5 MC 2019.7 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 12 2019 1:47 AM In reply to

Re: are bins stored anywhere other than the Attic to recover

The project and Attic are the only copies MC generates.

MC 2019.9, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Gigabyte 2080Ti Auorus, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 17 2019 4:44 PM In reply to

• mmagder
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 1 2010
    • Passaic NJ
    • Posts 221
    • Points 2,800

I finally got an answer, several days after i had sent an email to avid. I'm not sure why the holiday season has anything to do with technical support. I also never recieved a call. I was told that the contract gives you a call in 24hrs. I had sent an email about Can the unmarked files in the Uknown Bin be recovered from the attic. If there was a simple answer why couldn't i get a simple response in less than 3 or 4 days? This was what was sent back

Hi Moshe, 

Yes, you can open those files in the avid attic. what you need to do is to copy one of them and put it in a folder where you want to save your project. Then you must rename the file by removing the last number of the to .avb. 

For example, Rozanskky.45.8 should be renamed as Rozanskky.45.avb. You can open the .avb file 
    in the Project window by looking for the file path. also, the number indicates the version of the
     project file. so you must copy the latest number that's indicated in the project since it's the
     latest project file that you have.

Mac OSX 10.14.5 3.8 GHz Intel Core i5 MC 2019.7 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 17 2019 6:30 PM In reply to

The answer from support is the standard procedure for recovering an Attic copy of a bin.

But in this topic you've not given enough information for me (or anyone) to offer any additional help.

Everytime you save the previously saved version is copied to the attic. Into a folder named the same as your Project into a folder names the same as that bin. Each saved version gets an incrementally increasing number.

So your projects attic should have a folder per bin with multiple copies of older versions of that bin.

However I don't reccomend people use the Attic as a backup. Its disaster recovery really.

It makes sense to have 2 sequence bins and duplicate copies of the current sequence between them as well as at least daily complete project backups to an external location or USB stick.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller