Latest post Thu, Nov 28 2019 1:54 PM by Corne Scheepers. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 28 2019 12:56 PM

How to get MC to remember bin position in workspace

How do I get Media Composer to remember the position of my bins in a specific workspace? I've set up my Edit, Audio and Colour Corecction workspaces as I want them, but I find that every time I switch back to the Edit workspace the effect pallet and an few other bins still shows up where they were in the default setup.

So the following happens:

1) Open project, see Edit workspace as I set it up (effect pallet etc next to timeline, bins up next to the source monitor for easy drop and drag)

2) I then switch to either Audio or Colour Correction workspace. When I'm finished there and hit the Edit workspace button again, I see this (Effect pallet floating and not where I have it set up in my own Edit workspace):

3) Only when I hit the Edit workspace button AGAIN, does everything snap back to where I had it set up in my custom Edit Workspace (similar to step 1) above)

Any ideas? I've already reset the Edit workspace and started from scratch again but it seems to want to go back to default placement

Avid Media Composer 2020.4 HP ZBook 17 Gen3, i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60Ghz Win 10, 64GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 28 2019 1:39 PM In reply to

Re: How to get MC to remember bin position in workspace

Bin layouts?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Thu, Nov 28 2019 1:39 PM In reply to

Bin layouts?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Thu, Nov 28 2019 1:54 PM In reply to

Thanks for your reply!

Nope, unfortunately doesn't seem to fix the problem. I just followed these steps form MC help:

To open a bin layout, do the following: To save a custom bin layout: 1.Select Windows > Bin Layout > New Bin Layout. The New Bin Layout dialog box opens. 2.Type a name for the bin layout, and then click OK. The application saves the bin layout, and the layout appears in the Bin Layout menu and in the Settings list. To link a bin layout to a workspace view: 1.Do one of the following: *Select Windows > Workspaces > Properties. *Select File > Settings, click the User tab and double-click the Workspace View you want to link. The Workspace View Setting dialog box opens. 2.Click the Bin Layout menu and select a bin. 3.Click OK. I then created a new bin layout for my Edit workspace called "Edit Bin Layout", linked that to the Edit Workspace as below: The panel with the effects pallet, Effects editor and Motion FX editor still keeps on popping up in the upper left hand corner. I still need to hit the Edit Workspace button twice to get back to custom layout. 
    Avid Media Composer 2020.4 HP ZBook 17 Gen3, i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60Ghz Win 10, 64GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller