Latest post Tue, Nov 19 2019 6:42 PM by Tentaor. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 12 2019 2:05 AM

• ebweller
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Oct 28 2018
    • Posts 17
    • Points 235

How do I sync multiple clips? Or even one clip?

Hello.  When i had FCPX i could very easily sync multiple audio clips with video clips (providing the video clips had a scratch track).  I can't seem to do this at all in Avid.  We shot with an Arri Alexa and recorded audio separately with a Soud Devices recorder.  We don't have a smart slate, so we need to sync up these two separate files using the audio waveform or do it manually the old way using the clapper.

When i select the audio and then the video in Avid, and I CNTRL click and choose 'autosync,'  a window pops up that lets me choose what to use to sync.  I choose 'waveform analysis.'  But when i click ok a warning comes up that says "WARNING: Mismatched edit rates will not be autosynched."  And then when i click continue, a window pops up and says "selected clips do not have common timecode"

So i specifically told Avid NOT to use the timecode for sync, I told it to use the waveform, so i don't know why it's asking for a common timecode. Further, i don't know what "mismatched edit rates" even means.

If i take these exact same audio and video clip into FCPX, I can have them all synched in less than 4 seconds, and there or about 40 of them. I just drag over all the audio and video clips and choose 'synchronize clps' - and it works flawlessly, so it's not my media that the problem.  Some of the audio and video clips i need to synch together have different lengths but that does not affect anytihg, it does it regardless.

There's a thing called "Waveform Sync" on the timeline which seems to work for one clip at a time, but how do i turn this into a synched subclip in a bin?  I have 100's of clips.  Do i have to do this one at a time?

I am mystifed.

Filed under:
  • Tue, Nov 12 2019 12:19 PM In reply to

• Martin Fox
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 14 2014
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 260
    • Points 2,765

Re: How do I sync multiple clips? Or even one clip?

I found this helpful for waveform sync

https://vimeo.com/314973861

And I think 24p.com has written about this workflow 

iMac Retina27 late 2017 4.5Gz i7 40GB AMD 8GB with Sata Raid OS 10.13.4 MC 2018.3 BMD mini monitor with Eizo monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 19 2019 6:42 PM In reply to

• Tentaor
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 15 2007
    • Posts 27
    • Points 330

Re: How do I sync multiple clips? Or even one clip?

Thanks for the link

MAC PRO EARLY 2008 32 GB RAM OSX EL CAPITAN 10.11.6 media composer 8.4.5 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller