Latest post Thu, Oct 24 2019 9:16 AM by firebladedemon. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 18 2019 10:58 AM

2019.9 'Improvement'

2019.9 brings back the Project window and now we use Shift+ Command+9 to highlight the bin container, just when I'd got used to Command+9 to do that. But if you do both, you get the bin container and the "Project Window" which looks pretty much the same. Confusing! Make your mind up!

And another thing - If I hit Command+N for a new bin, it opens in its own window, not tabbed into the bin container. I have to close the bin and double-click to open it as a tab in the bin contaner :-(.

iMac i5 27", 40GB RAM, OS 10.14.6 with Symphony 2020.6, BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.14.6 with MC 2018.12.12 and BMD... [view my complete system specs]

With best wishes, Roger Shufflebottom

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Sat, Oct 19 2019 3:47 PM In reply to

Re: 2019.9 'Improvement'

Yes its not that helpful to drop a feature like the Project window and then bring it back!

Been teaching students for weeks the new UI and its changing significantly to undermine that teaching.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Sun, Oct 20 2019 6:07 AM In reply to

Pat Horridge:
    changing significantly to undermine that teaching.
    Sorry for the waste of your time teaching it  and the waste of our time adapting to it. IMO the real issue is that there was no reasonable reason to drop the Project window in the first place.  Why replace the decades old solid and respected parts of the UI with a second rate and non intuitive version. Change for changes sake??  Surely it is basic common sense that  if it ain't broke don't "FIX" it).

Congratulations Avid for bringing it back!!

Alayne

• Sun, Oct 20 2019 8:43 AM In reply to

Well - up to a point - but very confusing as it looks awfully like the Bin Container (hence my screenshot). Since everything other than a list of bins has been removed from the 'new' Project Window, what's the point?

iMac i5 27", 40GB RAM, OS 10.14.6 with Symphony 2020.6, BlackMagic mini monitor. MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM with OS 10.14.6 with MC 2018.12.12 and BMD... [view my complete system specs]

ACI, Technical Tutor (Editing), Faculty of Media and Communication, Bournemouth University, Dorset, UK

• Sun, Oct 20 2019 7:02 PM In reply to

• bonang
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Boston, MA
    • Posts 389
    • Points 4,870

One interesting aspect of this is that no one from Avid has volunteered why the Project window was removed, and (sorta) replaced by the Bin Container. I like how the Bin Container works, especially w/ the limited real estate of a laptop - but why couldn't/can't this just be...the Project Container, w/ project name etc.? 

Annoying bug - if the Bin Container closes, it never reopens to the position it's been saved to on the desktop - always upper left. If the Bin Container remains open, it does appear in the same spot you've placed it in when (re)opening a project.

Avid MC 2020.6 with Symphony option | HP zbook 17" G3 / i7 6820HQ / 32GB RAM / 512GB SSD / WIN 10 PRO 64 / nVidia m3000m / BMD UltraStudio 4K [view my complete system specs]

Keith

• Mon, Oct 21 2019 11:25 AM In reply to

I have asked that the BC be treated as a tool, so that it can be part of a workspace. No luck so far. I think they should junk the BCs and just use the reinvented Project Window. I'm happy that settings are now preferences.

• Mon, Oct 21 2019 6:25 PM In reply to

Bin containers (except empty ones for some reason) are handled using bin layouts as before.

I do like the Bin containers now and docking multiple containers can allows some neat fast workflow optimisations.

Oddly I sort of got used the project window being gone. So not sure having back is a big improvement.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Thu, Oct 24 2019 9:16 AM In reply to

I'm getting on quite well with the bin container and multiple tabbed bins to the side of it.  

One suggestion I have though is allowing clips to be dragged from the active bin to another bin in the sidebar - currently it can be difficult to see the name of the bin in the tabs at the top of the window.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller