Latest post Wed, Oct 9 2019 2:04 PM by firebladedemon. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 8 2019 11:06 PM

Can’t run Media Composer on new Mac after migration

Hi I've just migrated my user to a new iMac but when I try to run media composer and click on the 'use dongle' option it tells me that the software is not authorised. 

I've tried reinstalling MC, and reinstalling the sentinel driver - however that either crashes or simply won't open.

I've repaired user permissions with no success (this solved the adobe app login not working) and am now reinstalling the OS (Mojave).

Any other suggestions apart from starting from scratch?

• Wed, Oct 9 2019 8:50 AM In reply to

Re: Can’t run Media Composer on new Mac after migration

an update...

I reformatted and reisntalled fresh.  No change, but I think it's to do with Avid link and my dongle not talking to each other properly....

When I launch MC I get a message that the software is not authorized. Despite clicking on use dongle I get the same message.  In Avid Link, it shows media composer installed but no mention of the dongle at all.

Moving the dongle back to my old machine (running 2019.8) Avid link does show 'dongle activated' against media composer (& symphony etc) but beneath it there is nothing - according to the help files it should say 'products and activations'.

It seems to me that the two things must be connected and that is why I can't launch MC on the new imac.  How can I get the dongle to be recognised and all the options available?

• Wed, Oct 9 2019 8:54 AM In reply to

to be precise the message I get is "software activation failed because your license is not valid"

It is! 

• Wed, Oct 9 2019 11:14 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 701
    • Points 8,775

What version of Mac OS are you running?

You say you installed the Sentinal drivers... did you follow the advice from the readme...

Dongle Info (Mac Only): The Dongle Sentinel driver installer is no longer automatically
    installed when you install the editing application. The driver is now located in the
    Avid_Utilities folder (/Applications/Utilities/Avid_Utilities/Sentinel_Driver). If you have a
    dongle, manually install the driver from this location.

When installing the Sentinel driver, check your System Preferences and select "Security and Privacy.” You may need to choose to Allow driver to be accessed.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 2018.9, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 9 2019 1:15 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,317
    • Points 232,510
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

firebladedemon:

to be precise the message I get is "software activation failed because your license is not valid"

It is! 

Robert,

I have a case going and will ask that the licensing team look at your MyAvid and also send you a dongle udpater.avd.

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 9 2019 2:04 PM In reply to

Hi Marianna,

thank you so much!

I've run the sentinel driver installer again and now it's picked up the dongle.  There's still no "products and activations" underneath "dongle activated" though.  When I click on the licence drop down it shows "media composer... DONGLE" and underneath :Media composer|software(crossgrade from symphony)....UNAVAILABLE"

Symphony is working and shows as dongle activated. 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller