Latest post Sun, Jun 7 2020 8:19 PM by Marianna. 95 replies.
Page 4 of 7 (96 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 24 2019 8:41 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,460
    • Points 234,160
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: macOS Catalina - Just Say NO!

Job ter Burg:

Dave C. wrote Jan 2020 on The Avid Editors of Facebook.

Last I heard is that anyone who has tried installing MC on Catalina ended up with the installer failing.

You waited ages for Apple to get their act together. Perhaps now give Avid a month to do the proper testing for you?

Yes and I posted that as well in the Alert that was sent to the moderators and was posted here and to the AEofFB page.  Jan 2020.  

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 24 2019 8:45 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,460
    • Points 234,160
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Jeroen van Eekeres:

Job ter Burg:
    I beg to differ.

That said, there is one point where I agree with you and that is the availability of some sort of public roadmap including features being worked on, compatibility and planned release dates, however as Avid is a publicly-traded company there ability to do this is (very) limited. 

Jeroen et al... there is NOTHING i would like better but with Avid being a pubic company that cant happen.  In the early days at M100 when it was private, we did those sort of things and it was a successful effort but as the company got bigger - we had to stop.  Those lawyers out there caused a lot of that with law suites and the Sarbanes Oxley act, nipped that in the bud real quick.

Marianna

• Mon, Dec 30 2019 5:30 PM In reply to

• SteveK
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 320
    • Points 3,605

you obvously missed he bug fixes recently released with 2019.11 :)

Numerous clients mojo to Nitris PC systems 6.5 to 2018.3 with interplay with ISIS/UNITY, EVS transfer/w IP director At Home: new 2017 15" i7 MacbookPro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 20 2020 9:59 PM In reply to

• Cam
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 3 2015
    • Chicago, IL
    • Posts 9
    • Points 105

Marianna:

January 2020 is one month from now.... 

Marianna

Hi guys, not trying to reopen old wounds but wanted to check to see if there's been any update to a Catalina-compatible release date. I noticed 2019.12 came out with no Catalina compatibility - does that bode poorly for a soon-to-be-released compatible version since Avid wouldn't likely ship two updates close together?

Thanks!

• Tue, Jan 21 2020 9:07 AM In reply to

AVid can and do release updates close together. But as they are often every month its rare to rush one out unless its a serious bug fix.

Its a big job rebuilding the QT engine and doing it better than Apple did.

The latest Pro Tools relase works on Catolina but with some limted functions related to the QT issue.

So not much we can do but wait. The good thing is it should mean improvements in that area that we have been suck with for many years now.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Tue, Feb 18 2020 9:54 AM In reply to

• morsey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 12 2019
    • Posts 49
    • Points 595

As it's past the announced two week period for beta testing, what's the update? How much longer has the public beta testing period been extended?

• Thu, Feb 20 2020 12:20 PM In reply to

• SteveK
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 320
    • Points 3,605

Pat Horridge:
    Its a big job rebuilding the QT engine and doing it better than Apple did.

its not that they havent had any warning.....

Numerous clients mojo to Nitris PC systems 6.5 to 2018.3 with interplay with ISIS/UNITY, EVS transfer/w IP director At Home: new 2017 15" i7 MacbookPro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 20 2020 12:37 PM In reply to

It's like people aren't reading the previous posts.  There's been a perfectly acceptable response from avid on this. If they released the thing as a mess everybody would be moaning about how they should have tested it. Personally I'd rather have a version that works that's took a bit longer to come out, than a version that was rushed out because a bunch of people can't wait a few months. It's not like the other versions are going to stop working in the mean time? It's not like we suddenly can't edit a show.  

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.11 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 20 2020 1:08 PM In reply to

• morsey
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 49
    • Points 595

I don't think many care about upgrading to the latest OS unless they are specifically required to do so for whatever reason. It's that there are new Macs targeted towards professionals that have Catalina preinstalled. You can't even buy the old 15" or the old Mac Pro anymore unless you find it second hand.

Anyway, my question is more about being informed to plan accordingly. We were told January and that was fine, then end of Jan came up and instead, there was a two week public beta test. Now those two weeks have past...

• Thu, Feb 20 2020 2:21 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,460
    • Points 234,160
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Morsey

We are tweking the final release.  Apple added some additional security measures which we needed to work with before launch... 

Its coming.

Marianna

• Thu, Feb 20 2020 11:32 PM In reply to

• Mark
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 18 2008
    • Hollywood
    • Posts 22
    • Points 375

ripvanmarlowe:

It's not like we suddenly can't edit a show.  

well,what you are stating is totally untrue. At least if you'd like to edit with Avid. If you own a newer mac like the late 2019 Mac Pro which cannot be downgraded from Catalina even if you say 100 prayers. 

However, looks like it's coming up shortly. 

Late 2019 Mac Pro 16c. DUAL Radeon Pro Vega II Duo 2 TB SSD Apple AB [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 21 2020 12:52 AM In reply to

Well, I'm still editing on mine so clearly it's not.  It's only untrue if you threw out all your old hardware before checking your new hardware is supported.  If you did that then it's on you. If you didn't then, yeah, we can still edit a show. There's people out there still cutting on version 5's and 6's.  The Best Picture Oscar just went to a film cut on FCP7.  So just because Avid doesn't support Catalina does not mean we can't edit any more.  What's the issue here? There will still be Macbook Pros in 3 months time.  Why the massive urgency?  

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.11 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 21 2020 12:56 AM In reply to

• Mark
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 18 2008
    • Hollywood
    • Posts 22
    • Points 375

ripvanmarlowe:

Well, I'm still editing on mine so clearly it's not.  It's only untrue if you threw out all your old hardware before checking your new hardware is supported.  If you did that then it's on you. If you didn't then, yeah, we can still edit a show. There's people out there still cutting on version 5's and 6's.  The Best Picture Oscar just went to a film cut on FCP7.  So just because Avid doesn't support Catalina does not mean we can't edit any more.  What's the issue here? There will still be Macbook Pros in 3 months time.  Why the massive urgency?  

you're missing the point completely and contradicting yourself. 

The person clearly stated before that they got a new MP a while back. Anyways I'm done talking to you because it's pointless. 

Late 2019 Mac Pro 16c. DUAL Radeon Pro Vega II Duo 2 TB SSD Apple AB [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Feb 21 2020 1:09 AM In reply to

Mark:
    Anyways I'm done talking to you because it's pointless. 

Finally something we can agree on.  Peace

• Fri, Feb 21 2020 9:50 AM In reply to

• morsey
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 49
    • Points 595

Avid's definition of "coming soon" is pretty loose. Gonna use that on my project.

Page 4 of 7 (96 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller