Latest post Sun, Jun 7 2020 8:19 PM by Marianna. 95 replies.
Page 3 of 7 (96 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 19 2019 10:31 PM In reply to

Re: macOS Catalina - Just Say NO!

Tutorial for what?

MC 2020.6, W10, MSI X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 2080Ti Waterforce, 64GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Dec 19 2019 11:27 PM In reply to

• morsey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 12 2019
    • Posts 49
    • Points 595

ripvanmarlowe:

Mark:
    I will be voting with my wallet once my sub with Avid runs out.

I'm sure you'll be missed.

I see sarcastic responses like this all the time. The truth is, the more you see these messages, the more you see subcribers go and the higher risk Media composer will be done for good. Avid MC could be on track to being the next Lightworks.

There is lack of proactiveness. How much notice does Avid need? Transition from 32-bit happend over a decade ago. Catalina beta has been out about 6 months. We all work in the same industry and sometimes you’ve got to proceed to the best of your ability in order to get ahead.

If someone is in the market for a new system, it would be a shame to purchase an old outdated system that's been highly criticised based on on one piece of software that's slow to update.

• Fri, Dec 20 2019 12:22 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,460
    • Points 234,160
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Mark:

I don't see your competitors blaming Catalina for the lack of their softwares not working with the OS.

Oh wait... they actually do work with Catalina. You can keep telling us it's only been 3 months, which on it's own should give you plenty of time to be up-to-date. Do the software engineers only work part time few days a week? It's not like Avid is a free product, right?

The point is beta started a long time ago, the core components did not change we all knew what's going to happen to 32bit in Catalina. Avid needs to work on their communication skill as pointed above. But not only with us, but also with Apple and their engineers so this won't happen in the future.

Avid is lagging behind. It's a shame. I don't think Avid can afford this with such a fierce competition. I will be voting with my wallet once my sub with Avid runs out.

it's ridiculous that I have this brand new shiny Mac Pro here but unable to launch Avid to actually work on projects.

Mark... I dont usually take this stance but your comments are IMO ridiculous.    Premiere and Resolve dont have 30+ years of workflow users that have a ton of hardware and software connected to get their jobs done and on air.  MC has NEXIS, Interplaym Media Central and a host of other stuff to test to ENSURE it works.  

We start the day the OS comes out!  This is nothing new here and has been stated for a LONG time.  Apple makes changs right up to the end game and in this case, the error you get when trying to launch MC, ocured in the final changes.  Its so easy to be that monday morning quarterback when there is no info on code, code base changes, work with AJA, BM, NB, and a HOST of others to make sure that it works and works well.

As I said on Facebook earlier.... I am sue ALL those engineers busting their humps to get it out would appreciate these comments.  Not!

January 2020 is one month from now.... signing off now as this riled me.... good.

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 20 2019 1:04 AM In reply to

• Leo Baker
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 5 2011
    • London
    • Posts 493
    • Points 5,790

Dear Mark,

Avid takes longer to test to make sure everything runs smooth on mission critical projects. When Avid releases their software such as Media Composer it's rock-solid and I have never been let down.

Marianna and Raff at Avid are always at hand to help through the forums and emails. If something isn't working as it should in the software, they are on it right away. They are the most helpful people and have full integrity and stand by Avid's software and reputation in the industry.

It's only a short time period for the new year, and I am sure Avid will deliver as they are working on it at the moment. It's like a moving target when a major operating system is announced and many changes during beta and then on final release. As after all Avid are essentially a 3rd party making software to run on a mac or windows machine and are not making the operating system themselves. So it's a lot of work testing to make sure it runs as expected, to get their product stable and reliable.

I have used lots of editing software since learning in college in 1998 and dealt with lots of companies with bugs, Adobe dropped using Premiere years ago as always bugs and crashes stopping a project in its tracks. Obviously Final Cut Pro X, being made by Apple as default will be ready for the new mac pro computer, as they have the insider knowledge. I do really enjoy editing in Media Composer as it's reliable and has workflows and ways to operating with the other competitors can't emulate such as the rock solid media management.

I would say have a bit more patience and you'll be rewarded by a solid offering with Media Composer with Catalina support so you can use your new Mac.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,

Leo

MacPro6.1 Late 2013 Intel Xeon 12-Core 2.7GHz 64GB RAM AMD FirePro D700 6GB OSX Mojave 10.14.6. Media Composer 2020.5, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.5, Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 20 2019 2:40 AM In reply to

And may I just say, good luck getting this level of support and customer interaction over at Adobe's forums. Thank you Marianna et al for your hard work!

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.11 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 20 2019 10:44 AM In reply to

Mark:
    it's ridiculous that I have this brand new shiny Mac Pro here but unable to launch Avid to actually work on projects.

Mark,

While I normally would not have a big problem to join another rant against Avid, this time I must agree with Marianna that your argumentation is... let's just say it has issues.

It is my point of view that the cause of your problem lies 99% with Apple and maybe 1% with Avid. It is not Avid that is to blame for the terms and conditions by which Apple releases new OS versions and on which hardware it is supported.

The way Apple is forcing its customer base to use their latest software releases is obviously something that has commercial value for them. What matters is that they have proven not to care, even when it relates to their own products, if they create a viable upgrade path with backwards compatibility. In the business I'm in, be it a niche, that is not a viable option and Avid understands this when it comes to Media Composer and Interplay/Mediacentral.

Holding that against them is... 

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Fri, Dec 20 2019 11:56 AM In reply to

• Cutyes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 14 2012
    • Berlin
    • Posts 168
    • Points 2,175

Cam:
    Does anyone have a recommended and Avid-compliant tutorial for doing what dklein suggests above?

If you are on High Sierra or Mojave and your system drive is APFS then there is nothing too scientific about it. (Assuming that you are comfortable with this degree of IT kung fu. I am not encouraging you to mess with your OS otherwise.)

I cannot recommend one in particular, but how about this one?:

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/dual-boot-mac-3659676/

Regarding compliance: a second OS on a second partition (or APFS container) is just as fine as a single OS on a single partition. MC only cares about the partition you boot from. Any other partition will be just that.

If you are asking because you already have upgraded to Catalina, then it probably is going to be a little bit more difficult because - as far as I know; correct me, dklein, if I'm wrong - you can't run an installer for an older OS on a newer OS. In that case you will need (in addition to that second partition/container) an installer on a bootable, external drive/stick.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/downgrade-macos-3581872/

• Fri, Dec 20 2019 2:19 PM In reply to

• dklein
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 15 2012
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,645

Yes, you'll need to make a notable flash drive installer or connect you machine to another Mac running Mojave using target disk mode to do the install. 

• Fri, Dec 20 2019 3:00 PM In reply to

• Cam
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 3 2015
    • Chicago, IL
    • Posts 9
    • Points 105

Cutyes:

Cam:
    Does anyone have a recommended and Avid-compliant tutorial for doing what dklein suggests above?

If you are on High Sierra or Mojave and your system drive is APFS then there is nothing too scientific about it. (Assuming that you are comfortable with this degree of IT kung fu. I am not encouraging you to mess with your OS otherwise.)

I cannot recommend one in particular, but how about this one?:

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/dual-boot-mac-3659676/

Regarding compliance: a second OS on a second partition (or APFS container) is just as fine as a single OS on a single partition. MC only cares about the partition you boot from. Any other partition will be just that.

If you are asking because you already have upgraded to Catalina, then it probably is going to be a little bit more difficult because - as far as I know; correct me, dklein, if I'm wrong - you can't run an installer for an older OS on a newer OS. In that case you will need (in addition to that second partition/container) an installer on a bootable, external drive/stick.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/downgrade-macos-3581872/

Fantastic, thank you (and dklein and Marianna) so much!  Put me on the side of those who appreciate Avid's approach - and Marianna's incredible support here and elsewhere.

• Tue, Dec 24 2019 10:21 AM In reply to

• Fish
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Oct 15 2005
    • Filet Post, Halifax NS
    • Posts 588
    • Points 7,205

2012 Westmere MacPro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon) 6 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB As of Jan 2015 - OS X 10.9.5 (13F34) [view my complete system specs]

AVID man, AVID fan (since 1993 with version 4.5 - before multiple tracks!)...like to solve my own problems and I try not to bother anyone unless I'm really stumped.

• Tue, Dec 24 2019 6:03 PM In reply to

Dave C. wrote Jan 2020 on The Avid Editors of Facebook.

Last I heard is that anyone who has tried installing MC on Catalina ended up with the installer failing.

You waited ages for Apple to get their act together. Perhaps now give Avid a month to do the proper testing for you?

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 24 2019 6:18 PM In reply to

• Fish
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Filet Post, Halifax NS
    • Posts 588
    • Points 7,205

2012 Westmere MacPro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon) 6 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB As of Jan 2015 - OS X 10.9.5 (13F34) [view my complete system specs]

AVID man, AVID fan (since 1993 with version 4.5 - before multiple tracks!)...like to solve my own problems and I try not to bother anyone unless I'm really stumped.

• Tue, Dec 24 2019 6:19 PM In reply to

Fish:

Job ter Burg:

Perhaps now give Avid a month to do the proper testing for you?

Unfair.

I beg to differ.

Happy Holidays.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 24 2019 6:31 PM In reply to

• Fish
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Filet Post, Halifax NS
    • Posts 588
    • Points 7,205

• Tue, Dec 24 2019 8:10 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:
    I beg to differ.

So do I.

Wether or not Avid should be able to release a new version days/weeks/months after Apple releases a new OS (or a beta version of it) is a pointless discussion. There are testing procedures that need to take place with the Alpha/gold release of the new OS regardless of the available beta versions and those need time with every full or point release of the OS including compatibilty with Nexis, Interplay/Mediacentral, iNews... This has always been the case and will probably always be whether we like it or not.

Personally I wish Avid not to take further shortcuts on testing. I feel that I'm already dealing with enough unvoluntairy onsite beta testing with a multitude of products.

That said, there is one point where I agree with you and that is the availability of some sort of public roadmap including features being worked on, compatibility and planned release dates, however as Avid is a publicly-traded company their ability to do this is (very) limited. 

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

Page 3 of 7 (96 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller