Latest post Wed, Sep 25 2019 9:52 AM by pierreh. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 24 2019 10:57 AM

Hollywood studios hit by Avid shutdowns on Mac Pro

Hello,
    I've Just read this article:

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/avid-mac-pro-corrupted-hollywood-1203347033/
    and this:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/09/24/hollywood-studios-hit-by-avid-shutdowns-on-mac-pro 

"
    An unknown problem is reportedly making cylindrical Mac Pro workstations running the Avid video editing suite to "slowly crash" and then not boot back up. "

"Online discussions between users suggest that the problem may be malware or other virus attack affecting Avid Media Composer version 8.8 or later, on a 6.1 Mac Pro, and running macOS prior High Sierra. If correct, then this is an extremely specific virus which should not affect most users, but is currently hitting many."

One comment says:

"This is easily fixed and the cause is the hidden var folder in Mac OS X gets damaged and stops the process of booting up. It affects OSX from 10.14 all the way down to 10.11. And trash cans and towers are also equally being damaged. The fix is to reinstall the os over existing os and it will come back to life."

Is there any offical advice from Avid?

• Tue, Sep 24 2019 11:19 AM In reply to

• mangousta
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jan 25 2009
    • Posts 2
    • Points 10

Re: Hollywood studios hit by Avid shutdowns on Mac Pro

Hello,

I just had the issue on a MacBookPro 2018 / High Sierra 10.13.6 / MediaComposer 2019.8.0

Re-installing the High Sierra system in recovery mode (restart with Command+R pressed) solved the problem.

• Tue, Sep 24 2019 11:31 AM In reply to

• GT
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • South Africa
    • Posts 405
    • Points 4,425

There's a lot of posts about it on the Avid Editors of Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/2244549459/?fref=nf

MC Ver 8.7, Intel Core I5, NVidia Quadro FX 570, 16Gb Ram, 250 Gb system drive, 2 Tb Render/Media drive, Windows 7 64bit Pro, QT 7.6.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 24 2019 3:22 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 2,133
    • Points 23,775
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Avid is aware of the reboot issue affecting Apple Mac Pro devices running some Avid products, which arose late yesterday. This issue is top priority for our engineering and support teams, who have been working diligently to determine and resolve the root cause. As we learn more, we will immediately publish information—directly to our customers and via our community forums and social media platforms—in order to resolve this issue for all affected customers and prevent any further issues.

RalphC

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 24 2019 4:32 PM In reply to

• bonang
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Boston, MA
    • Posts 374
    • Points 4,690

RalphC:

Avid is aware of the reboot issue affecting Apple Mac Pro devices running some Avid products...

RalphC

...then Avid should be PROACTIVE and announce HERE that there is an issue, etc. 

Avid MC 2019.9 with Symphony option | HP zbook 17" G3 / i7 6820HQ / 32GB RAM / 512GB SSD / WIN 10 PRO 64 / nVidia m3000m / BMD UltraStudio 4K [view my complete system specs]

Keith

• Tue, Sep 24 2019 4:39 PM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 2,133
    • Points 23,775
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

I have earlier http://community.avid.com/forums/t/198007.aspx

Thanks,

RalphC

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 24 2019 4:42 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,150
    • Points 230,455
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

bonang:

RalphC:

Avid is aware of the reboot issue affecting Apple Mac Pro devices running some Avid products...

RalphC

...then Avid should be PROACTIVE and announce HERE that there is an issue, etc. 

bonang......

Ralph did post it to the top of this forum.....   stop posting this kind of stuff especially when peeps like Ralph and myself are trying to get a handle on the issue technically and are being interupted by posts like this.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Sep 24 2019 5:56 PM In reply to

• chuckkahn
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Toronto
    • Posts 388
    • Points 4,250

A member of Avid Editors of Facebook posted a screenshot of the iLok licence error pop up (which is said to be a precursor to reboot not working) and a sound editor passing by my office saw it and said that she saw the same on her ProTools system too, which is also iLok, on a 2010 Mac Pro, and which also wouldn't boot after.  So ProTools too.   I told her about the reinstall OS solution around the reboot issue.

Avid Media Composer 2018.12.8 / MacOS High Sierra / iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) / 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 / 64 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 24 2019 6:13 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,150
    • Points 230,455
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

chuckkahn:

A member of Avid Editors of Facebook posted a screenshot of the iLok licence error pop up (which is said to be a precursor to reboot not working) and a sound editor passing by my office saw it and said that she saw the same on her ProTools system too, which is also iLok, on a 2010 Mac Pro, and which also wouldn't boot after.  So ProTools too.   I told her about the reinstall OS solution around the reboot issue.

Chuck et all....

Avid is actively working this with Apple and Pace and we hope to have a clear understanding of what is happening and why - also how to fix as soon as we can.  Please be patient......  and thanks everyone for letting me do my thing and not bombard me with messages.  A lot of customer calls with engineering happening today and i was able to facilitate - thank you.

We are so close.....

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Sep 24 2019 6:22 PM In reply to

• bonang
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Boston, MA
    • Posts 374
    • Points 4,690

My bad...did not see it there when I placed my post, and great it's there now. But I do not know what you mean by "stop posting this kind of stuff", as if this is something I consistently do. Whatever...

Avid MC 2019.9 with Symphony option | HP zbook 17" G3 / i7 6820HQ / 32GB RAM / 512GB SSD / WIN 10 PRO 64 / nVidia m3000m / BMD UltraStudio 4K [view my complete system specs]

Keith

• Tue, Sep 24 2019 9:41 PM In reply to

• dklein
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 15 2012
    • Posts 116
    • Points 1,585

FYI Mac Admin slack thinks this may actually be a Chrome Keystone generated error. 

see  https://mrmacintosh.com/google-chrome-keystone-is-modifying-var-symlink-on-non-sip-macs-causing-boot-issues/

• Tue, Sep 24 2019 10:09 PM In reply to

• kkordisch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 5 2011
    • Posts 95
    • Points 1,175

It is. We started manually removing those keystone plists and deleting chrome. We had this issue even on a system that did not have avid installed on it... Yoyotta.

• Tue, Sep 24 2019 10:45 PM In reply to

We tried that but no keystone files on the system.  Problem happened on restart right after a permissions issue with ProTools on OSx10.11 where Pace Licensing was not able to be accessed... 

40 Avids - 6.5.4 on various macs in a Unity environment. Running 4 Facilis servers in 2 office locations with Ethernet and Fiberchannel clients. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 24 2019 10:55 PM In reply to

• dklein
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 15 2012
    • Posts 116
    • Points 1,585

Check the main /Library/LaunchAgents folder as well...I'm seeing the keystone files either in the main location or the user depending on OS. 

• Tue, Sep 24 2019 11:55 PM In reply to

Not an Avid issue. This occurred on a system that did not have Avid installed at our facility. And it has happened to a MacPro 6,1, iMac, MacPro 5,1 and Mac mini so far  

everyone is saying Avid because of all the Macs on the West Coast and the Variety article  

MC 2019.12, W10, Gigabyte X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 2080Ti Waterforce, 32GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller