Latest post Thu, Sep 26 2019 8:20 PM by AntCaladine. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Sep 23 2019 1:53 PM

• nymills
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New York City
    • Posts 349
    • Points 5,005

UI font problems, mixed and unpredictable

Running Avid MC 19.7 on a PC. The UI pops up random fonts upon launch and mixed fonts depending on the UI window. You never know what font you're going to get when you open MC. Sometimes it's completely unreadable font and the software needs to be restarted. I've spoken with support about that matter. They were not helpful, quite rude for a paid support service and did not resolve the matter. Anyone having this issue and work arounds to fix this issue?

Win10 64Bit, Media Composer Ultimate/SS/FF/Symphony 2021.6, Boris FX Suite HP ZBook 17 G6, 128GB Ram, RTX 5000, 250GB SSD System Drive, 1TB SSD... [view my complete system specs]

Michael Mills
    TeleStory Pictures
    www.telestorypictures.com
    "Some people see things and say,'Why?' I dream things that never were; and say,'Why not?'"

Filed under:
  • Tue, Sep 24 2019 8:48 AM In reply to

• AntCaladine
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 11 2007
    • Stourbridge, UK
    • Posts 391
    • Points 5,025

Re: UI font problems, mixed and unpredictable

We have UI fonts issues here, been happening since 2019.6. Some days it works fine, others every time we open avid its a different font but as its not something we can replicate support cant help.

The only fix is when it happens is select the window that has the wrong font, then choose windows menu and set font, then re-save user settings/each timeline view

2x HP Z8 G4, 96GB ram, Win10 Pro 64bit, Nvidia Quadro P4000 8GB AMC 2020.12 1x HP Z820 16GB ram, Win10 Pro 64bit, Nvidia Quadro 4000 AMC 2020.12 2x Aja... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 26 2019 7:38 PM In reply to

• nymills
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • New York City
    • Posts 349
    • Points 5,005

Does Avid Support still exist? It's been at least three days since setting up a support ticket about this matter and no return calls to resolve or discuss. I can get faster support calls and resolve with Avid's competition.

Win10 64Bit, Media Composer Ultimate/SS/FF/Symphony 2021.6, Boris FX Suite HP ZBook 17 G6, 128GB Ram, RTX 5000, 250GB SSD System Drive, 1TB SSD... [view my complete system specs]

Michael Mills
    TeleStory Pictures
    www.telestorypictures.com
    "Some people see things and say,'Why?' I dream things that never were; and say,'Why not?'"

• Thu, Sep 26 2019 7:50 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,581
    • Points 255,755
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Michael

Let me check the case for you.....

stand by

Ant.... did you create a case on this with support?

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 26 2019 7:57 PM In reply to

• AntCaladine
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Stourbridge, UK
    • Posts 391
    • Points 5,025

Yes case - 03771202

but cos can't easily replicate it, support are struggling to copy it. Even though all three of our suites do it 

2x HP Z8 G4, 96GB ram, Win10 Pro 64bit, Nvidia Quadro P4000 8GB AMC 2020.12 1x HP Z820 16GB ram, Win10 Pro 64bit, Nvidia Quadro 4000 AMC 2020.12 2x Aja... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 26 2019 8:12 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,581
    • Points 255,755
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

AntCaladine:

Yes case - 03771202

but cos can't easily replicate it, support are struggling to copy it. Even though all three of our suites do it 

Michael and Ant....

First, was the project / bins initially started on 2019.x?  Were any titles etc brought in from older versions and if not, what application was used to create them?

Second.....  I have a theory as this happened before to a user.   They were working away on the project with say arial selected and then installed photoshop. Photoshop’s installation included several new fonts, many of which had names that alphabetically fall in the font list before Arial. 

Launched MC and the ALL bins now displayed a different and in some cases wacky font. The FONT selected on a bin was being stored only as a reference to the font position in the font list.  The rub here is that we fixed the font list a while back.... BUT.... backwards compatibility would work BUT.....  matching the fonts from previous releases or vice-versa would not be perfect. 

The process of generating MacFontID identifier which is used to identify fonts and storing used fonts in MC settings ( MCstate x 2 see below).  

The MCState found in the Settings folder remembers what user and projects were active the last time the application was in use. It also contains certain Console commands, such as Disble3D and in MC 7 and higher, it remembers which video format was chosen for the 3D hardware.

The MCState in the Users folder contains window views for each user. For example, a source or record window that is stretched or a particular timline view is saved in this file. It is necessary at times when troubleshooting to delete these files and have Media Composer rebuild them as they can become corrupt.

So what i woud do is........ I would delete them and rebuild and see if the problem comes back.  

Since Michael can get this to happen now.....  I woud try it.

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 26 2019 8:20 PM In reply to

• AntCaladine
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Stourbridge, UK
    • Posts 391
    • Points 5,025

We have photoshop and install fonts quite a lot through the adobe font manager. So this could be a cause.

have deleted all the mcstates multiple times but the problem soon comes back.

has happened with new projects started since 2019.x as well as long standing ones from 2018

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller