Latest post Sat, Sep 21 2019 10:06 PM by Bruno M. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Sep 19 2019 3:01 PM

• DONvito
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 26 2006
    • Posts 67
    • Points 990

Media Offline wont re-link to AMA

Hi there, 

this is the workflow i used: 

iama linked the seource files, transcoded to Dnxhd36

after editing, i changes the Avid Media Files folder name to AvidMediaFilesX

sequence now media offline

i tried relink the sequence to the AMA files, some relinked but most of the sequence is still offline

i guess i tried all posible options in the relink window, but still coudn't make it to relink. 

any ideads? 

AVID MC 2019.12 WINDOWS 10 PRO X64 Intel® cORE i7-7820X 3.6GHZ 32GB Samsung M.2 960 Pro NVME Intel 660p 2TB M.2 NVME Quadro M4000 Blackmagic Intensity... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 21 2019 7:40 AM In reply to

• Joachim Claus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Seeheim-Jugenheim, Germany
    • Posts 948
    • Points 12,125

Re: Media Offline wont re-link to AMA

DONvito:
    i changes the Avid Media Files folder name to AvidMediaFilesX

NEVER change the name of folder "Avid MediaFiles". This folder is part of MC's database for all media. If you rename it, you will loose access to all current media. Probably MC will create a new folder "Avid MediaFiles" and start to store all new media there. 

For repair, I recommend the following:

1. Create a new (numbered) folder under Avid MediaFiles\MXF, e.g. folder "100".

2. Open your renamed folde "AvidMediaFilesX", and copy all media files from MXF\1 ..., MXF\_bg1 ... into the new folder Avid MediaFiles\MXF\100.

3. Open MC. MC will rerun the indexing and all your media will be online again.

If you want to place media of specific projects or sequences to a specific folder, you can create a new folder under Avid MediaFiles\MXF, e.g. folder "1000", and move all your specific media to this folder. Restart MC. Now you can rename this new folder (1000) to any name you like. If the new name is not a pure number, MC will not use it for new media files, however the old ones are still properly handled by MC, Good luck, Joachim

SuperMicro Workstation 7048A-T Dual Xeon (10 cores) E5-2640v4 2.4GHz 128 GB RAM, PNY P4000, 1 PCIe SSD 400 GB (Intel SSDPEDMW400G4) 1 SSD 2 TB for UHD... [view my complete system specs]

Joachim Claus

• Sat, Sep 21 2019 11:26 AM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 713
    • Points 8,950

DONvito:
    i tried all posible options in the relink window, but still coudn't make it to relink.

Like many of us, you're discovering the 'black art' of relinking in Avid MC!

I've spent many a happy(?) hour trying out various relink options in an attempt to bring media back online.

What Joachim said is essentially true, but I know that you were trying to hide the DNX36 media from Avid in an attempt to force it to relink to the AMA media. I've not always found this to be successful with relinks to AMA (linked) media, but I have used the following method with success.

First you need to check that the media you originally AMAed/linked is still online in the relevant bin or bins.

If it's not, you'll need to get it back. The way I do this is as follows...

1) Do not try relinking this bin. Leave it as it is.

2) Open a new bin and Link (AMA) to the original source files

3) You should now find that in your original bin, your AMA clips are magically now all online.

4) leave this original bin open and close down all other bins except for the bin containing your sequence.

5) Highlight/select the sequence in this bin and select ALL the AMA media in the original bin (or bins).

6) Open the relink tool and set the option to 'relink media to all selected items in all open bins'

7) Make sure the other options like ignore capitalisation and 'all projects' are selected.

8) Make sure you search for all media of any resolution.

9) Leave 'Relink by' set to 'tape name or source file name'

10) Hit 'OK'

Hopefully, this will relink your sequence to the AMA/linked media. If this doesn't work, you could try the second option in the 'Relink by' drop-down (source ID).

Good luck.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 2018.9, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 21 2019 7:26 PM In reply to

• DONvito
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 26 2006
    • Posts 67
    • Points 990

thanks Bruno, first of all, although Joachim is absulotly right, i must say that the reason for renaming the Avid Media Files is to make the Dnxhd_36 sequence offline without deleting the actualy media. but still this have nothing to do with my issue, 

now regatding the relink methoud you suggested, i usually do almost the same, but this time something was a bit weird, eventhough i opend a new bin an AMA link to the orginal files, ( step 2) the ama clips in my old/orginal bin didn't relinked (step3). eventhough it always works for me.

to fix this issue, i moved all the rushes to the drive with the correct letter (in my case it was "H") so now the AMA clips is not offline. 

but still coudn't relink the sequence with the offline Dnxhd_36 to the orginal AMA files. 

so what i did to fix it is to batch reimport all the Dnxhd_36 media back to Dnxhd_185x, so after all i got my sequnce at Dnxhd_185 and ready for color grading and audio mix. it toke hours to do but i was happy to have my sequence in high resolution (Dnxhd_185x)

however after reading your reply, i actully tried it again and still didn't work for me, i test it again in a new project and your methoud actually works!. 

so i think it was an issue with the project itself. 

anyways, everytime im working with this proxy workflow i got issues with relinking the sequence, but somehow everytime i managed to fix it, but not this time. 

i even trird the "offical" methoud that published by AVID, the methoud where you modify the clips and add a "disk label" to the AMA clips and then using the "relink by" dsik lable option. also didn't work for me. 

any ideas about a proxy workflow that actually work everytime?

AVID MC 2019.12 WINDOWS 10 PRO X64 Intel® cORE i7-7820X 3.6GHZ 32GB Samsung M.2 960 Pro NVME Intel 660p 2TB M.2 NVME Quadro M4000 Blackmagic Intensity... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Sep 21 2019 10:06 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 713
    • Points 8,950

DONvito:

however after reading your reply, i actully tried it again and still didn't work for me, i test it again in a new project and your methoud actually works!. 

so i think it was an issue with the project itself. 

Can't think why in one project it works, and in another it doesn't. Your project and the clips are all at the same frame rate?

I have had problems trying to relink across frame rates, even though there's now a check box for this in the relink settings.

DONvito:
    i even trird the "offical" methoud that published by AVID, the methoud where you modify the clips and add a "disk label" to the AMA clips and then using the "relink by" dsik lable option. also didn't work for me. 

Do you mean adding a 'Tape' number/name to AMA clips? I once resorted to this method when someone had edited a program from a reel of telecined footage. For certain reasons, the original film had to be re-telecined, and I couldn't relink the  sequence to this new master clip. By adding a Tape number, it successfully relinked.

DONvito:
    any ideas about a proxy workflow that actually work everytime?

I think the method you've been using generally works for me. As long as the material is originally AMAed and transcoded in Avid there's usually no problem. I've had problems with relinking and roundripping between Resolve and Avid, where the original footage was transcoded to DNX36 in Resolve (because Avid couldn't AMA/link or import the  camera rushes). The resulting AAF back to Resolve would happily relink to the DNX36 media, but wouldn't relink to the original camera rushes. After some experimentation, The solution involved having to add more clip metadata at the Resolve end (eg. Roll No.) and also exporting an ALE (Avid Log Exchange) file, which I imported into Avid bins to create the master clips.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 2018.9, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller