Latest post Sun, Sep 29 2019 1:56 PM by Tom Swartwout. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 17 2019 1:51 PM

iZotope plugins and sluggish computer

I'm using some of the iZotope plugins on my audio tracks and finding that the response of the timeline slows down to the point that I can't use them while editing.  So I edit without them and then apply them for playback or output or mixdown.

I have alot of memory and a new i9 processor in my iMac.  I know that there's a lot of instant processing happening, so it's not especially surprising, but I wonder if there are settings in Avid or with my computer that might help improve this performance?

Thanks,

Tom

MC 2020.5 with Symphony Option/iMac 2019 i9/Mac OS 10.14.6/128GB RAM/Radeon Pro Vega 48 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 17 2019 2:34 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,268
    • Points 231,960
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: iZotope plugins and sluggish computer

Any idea if there is a new plug-in pack from iZotope that works with the new UI and 2019.x?

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Sep 17 2019 3:33 PM In reply to

Hi Marianna,

Neutron has a version 3 out - not thinking of buying it yet - unless I hear the issues have improved.

The problem of sluggishness occured with the old MC UI and the new UI.  I had an older computer with less memory, so I attributed the problem to my equipment.  Now that I have some new gear, the issue seems to be pretty much the same.

I was hoping others might be using these plugins with more success and could pass along a suggestion or two.

Thanks,

Tom

MC 2020.5 with Symphony Option/iMac 2019 i9/Mac OS 10.14.6/128GB RAM/Radeon Pro Vega 48 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 17 2019 6:04 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,268
    • Points 231,960
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Tom,

Let me see what I can find out from iZotope directly and also our engineers.

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Sep 17 2019 7:47 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,268
    • Points 231,960
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Tom,

Got ahold of iZotope....  Need some clarification here:

They haven't heard of any graphical issues thatthey are aware of with Neutron and Media Composer but they also do not know how many people use Neutron in MC. Most of their Neutron users are in PT or other DAWs.  A few immediate questions.  Which version of Neutron is being used with Media Composer?  Neutron 3 has many CPU and display improvements over Versions 1 and 2.   How many instances are running in the session?  How many tracks is it being applied to?  Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Tue, Sep 17 2019 8:05 PM In reply to

Hi Marianna,

Thanks for the quick response.  I know that these are typically PT plugins, so perhaps the way I'm using them is asking for too much.  I've been having issues with Neutron 2, Ozone 8, if I use more than one of the RX 7 repair plugins, and with bx_control V2 (not an iZotope plugin).  I'd say as soon as I use more than 1, maybe 2, of these, the timeline gets very sluggish.  Doesn't matter how complicated the rest of the timeline is or how long the sequence is.  I'm not sure what they mean by "graphical" but my issues are that if I make a slight change to the edit - picture or audio, the system takes a few seconds to update and prepare for playback.  If I remove the plugins, all is fine.  

I like these plugins, so no complaint here, my editor's cuts sound better than they would if it were left up to me alone. But I get that maybe they're not designed for this environment.

Tom

• Thu, Sep 19 2019 7:29 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,268
    • Points 231,960
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Hi again Tom,

In Pro Tools, ( iZotope folks use it every day) there is Audio Suite and real-time processing.  Media Composer was Audio Suite only processing, so if they are just hard rendering these plug-ins to the audio, they shouldn't have any performance issues. If they are using RX, Ozone, and Neutron all in real-time, there is a chance their system is choking based on a variety of factors between our products processing and Media Composer's processing in relation to how the computer CPU is being used. They have to see how they are using the plug-ins, how many instances of plug-ins, how big is the session, how specced out is the machine they are on, etc.  Personally they don't recommend running RX in real-time unless it's a small session or on a really powerful machine. RX is best used with Avid products via RX connect or Audio Suite. It will work a lot better that way. It's also faster and more efficient and how most post studios run our products in Pro Tools. With Neutron 2 and Ozone 8, if using the Advanced versions to utilize the individual components which save CPU, one should be fine in a real-time session with proper session management for allocating computing resources.  They have a guide for session management regarding CPU issues they can send you but I have a feeling you may already know these tips and trips. That said......you can utilize RX Connect and Avid's Audio Suite rendering abilities then Media Composer use should be smooth.  There's a good chance iZotope  needs to look more closely at how our software behaves in real-time processing in Media Composer to make sure it's as smooth as Pro Tools. Happy to connect you to them if that works for you? Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Thu, Sep 19 2019 8:35 PM In reply to

Thanks Marianna. I appreciate the explanation that you and they provided.

If someone at Izotope wants to talk with me about how I use their products, I'm happy to spend time with them.  They are correct that if I use Audio Suite and render the files, performance is fine.  

Tom

• Thu, Sep 19 2019 9:02 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,268
    • Points 231,960
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Tom

can you email me your preferred email and phone # so I can send an intro to both you and dom at iZotope

Marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Sun, Sep 22 2019 9:00 PM In reply to

• Marty
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 3 2005
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 943
    • Points 11,035

Hello! Yes, some audio effects can slow down the performance very much when using them on an audio track.

I have a different issue but since you are in contact with iZotope and maybe you are seeing the same issue...

I can't use Neutron's track assistant as an audio track effect, it's only working as an audio suite effect. 

It was working in the past and was very useful as an audio track effect for me.

all different setups in various editing suites. my own: MC 2018.2, OSX 10.12.6, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 40GB RAM, Radeon... [view my complete system specs]

www.film-editing.de

• Sun, Sep 22 2019 9:21 PM In reply to

• Marty
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 3 2005
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 943
    • Points 11,035

You could also try to use Avid's built-in audio track effects, they perform a bit better.

For example for dialogue you could use the channel strip (compressor & eq) & Dyn3 DeEsser & Maxim Limiter on the master bus. 

Avid's Pro Limiter sounds better but I'm getting more crashes when using it.

all different setups in various editing suites. my own: MC 2018.2, OSX 10.12.6, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 40GB RAM, Radeon... [view my complete system specs]

www.film-editing.de

• Sun, Sep 29 2019 1:56 PM In reply to

Hi Marty.  I was away for the past week.  Yes, I do use the other track effects as you suggest and the performance is more than fine - but as you mention in your other post, the Izotope plugins sometimes sound better to my ear and are relatively easy to use.

Tom

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller