Latest post Tue, Aug 25 2020 2:24 AM by Nims. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 12 2019 11:05 PM

• NErez
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 12 2012
    • Posts 93
    • Points 1,265

2019 Floating Bins

Please make "Hide Sidebar" a permanent system wide option. It's absurd that each new floating bin opens with the whole Bin Container open on the left side. There are many of us who wish to keep as much of the old way of working while still enjoy the under the hood improvements.

Please restore a "Project Window" at the same time.

You don't compete against Resolve by copying it, and definitely not by copying everything that's bad.

• Sat, Jul 13 2019 12:30 AM In reply to

Re: 2019 Floating Bins

NErez:
    It's absurd that each new floating bin opens with the whole Bin Container open on the left side.

As you probably know, there is now a Bin Setting that permits a double-click to 'Tab" your just-clicked Bin into the right side of that Bin Container. (and Holding a modifier while double-clicking "inverts" the chosen option temporarily).

What I've noticed is that dragging on that Tab (pulling it LEFT back into the Bin Container Sidebar, and releasing) is also a way to Float that Bin... and the "Sidebar" is not shown.

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 15 2019 5:45 PM In reply to

• NErez
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 93
    • Points 1,265

I've noticed that. I don't want to do it to each bin, 400 of them in my project, each time I open a bin. Avid should adopt a system wide option to remove the bin container from each new opened floating bin.

• Mon, Jul 15 2019 9:07 PM In reply to

NErez:

I've noticed that. I don't want to do it to each bin, 400 of them in my project, each time I open a bin. Avid should adopt a system wide option to remove the bin container from each new opened floating bin.

+1, if a Floating Bin’s SideBar can be set to open hidden. This is a good moment, at v2019.6, to ask for the things you want & need, IMO.

Question: with 400+ Bins, do you also use many Folders in your Project? 

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 15 2019 10:09 PM In reply to

• NErez
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 93
    • Points 1,265

We have an intricate and deep multi level folder structure. Working on feature documentaries with thousands of hours of footage (historical b-roll mainly).

• Tue, Jul 16 2019 1:54 AM In reply to

I like intricate solutions. I have been pondering a Folder strategy which would use an Alt-character prefix Folder-naming convention to permit easier sifting of my ever growing Main Project Bin (now Sidebar) window... to only display particular Folders using Quick Search feature. I do wish that tool offered a history, like Find Tool does.  I found it will permit a separate Undo, though, which allows for a degree of history by Undo-ing and Redo-ing searches. Pretty cool.

I also do long format, (not-shared) Multi-Folder projects... but have not yet transitioned current Project to latest version, though. 

• Mon, Jul 22 2019 7:07 PM In reply to

• NErez
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 93
    • Points 1,265

What I wish is that double clickin on a clip in the Find Tool would not open the original bin where the clip is but just load up the clip to the viewer so I can work with it.

I sometimes search for a term that yields clips from 10 different bins and it makes little sense to open each of them. The Find Tool should be an active bin, and maybe it is in the new version, I didn't check.

Media Composer needs to transition from being an editing machine with a database to a database with an editing application. And Find Tool must have an option to not open a clip's bin but give us a right-click or ctlr/cmd/opt option to show clip in original bin.

• Sun, Jul 28 2019 5:25 PM In reply to

NErez:
    Please make "Hide Sidebar" a permanent system wide option.

Im on WIN v2019.7 and *I believe* you got what you asked for. I can't seem to open into those Split Bins.

• Sat, May 9 2020 4:16 PM In reply to

• kirkenshrir
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Montreal
    • Posts 60
    • Points 630

Has there been any progress on this problem with 2020.x ??

Media Composer 2020.4 w/Symphony option, 4.0 GHz Intel® Core™i7 Quad + 32GB RAM, PNY nVidia Quadro P2000, Windows 10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 9 2020 9:46 PM In reply to

Hi Kirk, Soneone else will have to answer you, as I needed to return to v2018.12.version for a bit. Not sure but my recollection from using 2019.12 was that the Find functionality was the same; that the open Sidebar thing was improved or didn't bother me because I didn't use floating bins. Looking forward to getting back on latest versions, later in the year... I miss the speed, the compactness and other innovations.

• Tue, Aug 25 2020 2:24 AM In reply to

• Nims
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 16 2013
    • Posts 11
    • Points 135

It's August 2020, I'm on MC 2020.6.0 and there's been zero attention to this issue. If anyone at Avid looks at these threads here, please, make a system-wide option to not include a bin container in every bin that's opened. That is such an annoying feature. PLEASE, no more bin containers. I just want a Project window. Only a project window. That's it. Oh, and PLEASE make the project window pop to the front when I call it with cmd-9 - like it's been in Media Composer since 1996!!!!!!

When I call the project window, sorry, project "container", or whatever it's called now, it stays in the background. Considering that's the situation, why even have a project window and why have a keyboard shortcut to fetch it.

Please can someone from Avid comment about this, Marianna? Anyone?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller