Latest post Fri, Aug 21 2020 6:19 PM by Job ter Burg. 43 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (44 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jun 29 2019 6:38 PM

• r.kreuz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 24 2009
    • Munich - Germany
    • Posts 192
    • Points 2,445

MC 2019.6 New Interface Design - please roll back!

Hello Avid,
    to keep things short:

I want my old, stable and proven user interface back! What you done in 2019.6 is a real garbage, especially to connect project view and bin view together.

With no reason you destroy the "muscle-memory" of every professional editor with longterm experience.

So bring up a switch, where the editor can choose which interface design he like to prefer.

The way of success to beat competitors products is not to copy and paste their bad peculiarities.

Regards

Bob.

• Sat, Jun 29 2019 7:44 PM In reply to

• Fazz Powell
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 3 2006
    • Naples, FL
    • Posts 438
    • Points 5,935

Re: MC 2019.6 New Interface Design - please roll back!

There is a 2018.12.6 version which is the patch for the latest update to "old" MC. I think you need 2018.12.3 before installing the 12.6 patch. You should be able to see that on your account. You don't have to go to 2019.6 to get the latest updates. If I'm not mistaken there some type of "classic" mode on 2019.6, but I may be mistaken. Check out the forum or Avid Editors on Facebook forum for those threads.

MC 2020.06 w/Symphony option. BlackMagic DeckLink 12G, HP Z840 Dual 3.2Ghz/8 Core, 1TB SSD, 1TB Cache drive, 128GB Ram, Nvidia RTX2060 Super, BCC2020,... [view my complete system specs]

Dan Powell - Take One Digital Media

• Sat, Jun 29 2019 11:40 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,368
    • Points 53,960

Its easy to understand the resentment towards a major revision as this UI departure. Still, any number of comments have been made over the last few years regarding how "old" MC looks. Kodak learned the hard way how staying too long at the "Party" can cost.

Competitors have been steadily tweeking their UIs over the last few years, Avid can not afford to appear stagnant.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 20.6. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 17/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Sun, Jun 30 2019 2:09 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,774
    • Points 48,230
    • Moderator: Avid Media Composer for Liquid
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Fazz Powell:
    If I'm not mistaken there some type of "classic" mode on 2019.6, but I may be mistaken.
    Sorry to dissapoint, but there is no classic mode for 2019.6. What you see is what you get. It is possible to change the layout using floating panels to something similar (and then save the workspace so you can go back to it)., but that's about it.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia RTX 2060 Super 8, Win 10 Pro, MC (generally the latest or the one just before) [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Sun, Jun 30 2019 3:54 AM In reply to

TVJohn:
    Still, any number of comments have been made over the last few years regarding how "old" MC looks.
    Sure but this new look still looks old but with different colors and fonts. The changes for a large part are changes for changes sake. I see very little that speeds up my workflow and was more than mildly amused watching an online before saying it made him lightning fast when in fact he had actually using as many if not more mouse and KB actions to achieve the result AFTER a spending time on long setup.  

I have seen dozens of requests for improving folders and the ability to create new bins in folders but have not seen any for tabbed bin containers that need sidebars. 

For me it would have been a no brainer to create the ability to create and save project templates.  This would have offered time saving setup and project layout time saving for just about every person that edits similar projects to every organisation that uses multiple assistant editors.  All with no time spent on learning the newest shuffle of the menus and commands.

TVJohn:
    Competitors have been steadily tweeking their UIs over the last few years, Avid can not afford to appear stagnant.
    Can they afford to look like their ideas are at best marginal adaptations of their competitors, just a few years late?

Alayne

• Sun, Jun 30 2019 5:32 AM In reply to

• dew
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • Posts 593
    • Points 7,525

Personally I have no issues with the new UI. Most of the same functions are there as stated in the comment above. The menus have moved around but once you get use to that its still MC. A tabbed bin is not that major of a change to disrupt editing on the timeline. I am having stability issues but overall I edit the same. From what I see its *** if you do, *** if you don't. A blend mode would have been nice as well as a project template. And someone understanding of Title Plus. Just saying Avid. Overall my editing is the same. 

• Sun, Jun 30 2019 10:15 AM In reply to

• r.kreuz
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 24 2009
    • Munich - Germany
    • Posts 192
    • Points 2,445

TVJohn:

I had many discusions about the cons and pros of other NLE systems. And yes, there are some positive aspects and skills, which other NLEs have. For example the exchange and workflow with compositing/ animation software, the kind of their effect and transition palette. But I never heard before, that anyone argues with the style of the user interface.

Bob

• Sun, Jun 30 2019 12:18 PM In reply to

why not a shortcut to this TAB when we press the "Render Effect" icon/tool, which is directly involved with rendering options?

Am I mising something obvious here?

And thank-you for all the new goodies in v2019.6

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 30 2019 8:38 PM In reply to

• touviere7
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 15 2010
    • los angeles
    • Posts 690
    • Points 7,765

ctrl 5  takes you to media creation

it's one step if you hit  both keys at the same time...Smile

symphony 2020.8 - win 10 pro64 v.1909 - QT essential 7.7.9 - nVidia gtx1080 OC (452.06 studio) - intel i7 6800k @4.2ghz water cooled by corsair H100i V2... [view my complete system specs]

the time you enjoy wasting is NOT wasted time...

• Sun, Jun 30 2019 8:58 PM In reply to

touviere7:

ctrl 5  takes you to media creation

it's one step if you hit  both keys at the same time...Smile

THANK-YOU! touviere, that's perfect. I should never have doubted it...

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 2 2019 1:04 PM In reply to

I'm pretty sure that during the NAB annoucement, there was a mention that the "classic" UI would be available - has that been "binned" excuse the pun? Big Smile

I'm not an editor but work in a facility looking after 19 edit suites on Nexis with a whole host of aging freelance offline editors who love a good moan and who hate it when a subtle menu change update occurs - this sounds like it's going to blow some minds when I finally have to upgrade the suites from v2018.6! In fairness, it does sound like this newer version has many more usable business features such as network transcode tasking, IMF deliverables and ACES colour workflow etc...

Tell me, have Avid managed to fix the metadata output when QT files are created? Working in Rec.2020 HDR Avid projects to master a ProRes for broadcast and Avid incorrectly injects Rec.709 metadata into the file - instant fail for QC and means we then crack open Resolve Studio to make the files properly. (The workflow, or should I say workaround gets more tedious). I'd not be confident trying to output for Netflix using Avid's IMF.

If Avid want to step up to the plate, they need to make sure they keep their current editors happy because the younger lot are using Resolve or Premiere. Avid will also want to make sure they stay on trend with the integration of emerging workflows but most importantly, make sure they are correct, robust and work properly on release.

• Tue, Jul 2 2019 1:13 PM In reply to

Craigo5000:
    there was a mention that the "classic" UI would be available

In the sense that A. 2018.12 will continue to receive bug fixes and B. 2019.6 allows bins to not be paneled.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 2 2019 1:17 PM In reply to

But both have integration of all the new fancy features?

• Tue, Jul 2 2019 4:12 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,756
    • Points 62,020

Craigo5000:

No. Probably not. What 'fancy new features' are you referencing?

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 2020.6 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2020.5 | Sapphire 2020.5 | Mocha Pro 2020.5 | Titler Pro 7 | Windows 10 Pro... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Tue, Jul 2 2019 4:43 PM In reply to

• jdrouette
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Montréal, Canada
    • Posts 437
    • Points 5,725

Craigo5000:

Marianna detailed Avid's plans for the the v2018 Maintenance releases a few weeks back:

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/197135/882969.aspx#882969

Avid Media Composer 2020.8 Symphony option, Avid Artist DNxID (DNxID Desktop Video Application v11.5.1), macOS 10.15.6, iMac Pro (2017) 10-Core, 3.0GHz... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 3 (44 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller