Latest post Wed, Jun 26 2019 8:06 AM by Telegram!. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 25 2019 2:30 AM

MC v2019.6 “Need to Know” topics.

I have some real blind spots re MC tools prior to this new UI. I was never a “power user” of Workspaces, Bin Layouts, links to Named Settings, etc. since 200 heads are certainly better than one, I’m asking for any thoughts on the topics below:

1. Save Current Workspace: when I include a Bin Layout in a Workspace > Properties Tab, does its “Save Current” also “Save Current” the Bin Layout I included there or do should I have first done a separate Bin Layout > “Save Current” ? I Menu Map these two functions - do I only need one? (It’s the same icon for both)

2. Rename Bin Container: Apart from seeing a User-defined name on Bin Containers in my current Project, (instead of Bin1, Bin2, etc) what are the uses for doing a User-defined Rename, and what if if there is already a Saved Workspace with an UN- renamed Bin Container? Is there a potential mismatch when a different Project opens for the first time? Where are these Renames stored?

3. What gets Saved with Saved Bin Layouts vs Saved Workspaces? Is there a distinction between Floating vs. Panelled Bins?

4. In Command Palette > Workspaces are we now able to map Saved Bin Layouts (only) to icons and/or keyboard? 

Thanks in advance for any info or links, etc.

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 25 2019 1:55 PM In reply to

Re: MC v2019.6 “Need to Know” topics.

Hi  Telegram!,

Let me see if I can help here:

1) The Workspaces and Bin Layouts are not saved at the same time. So, unfortunately, you have to save both if you want both the WS and layout saved. If the WS and the Bin layout are named the same thing, then when you recall the WS we -should- recall both for you. 

2) I believe the names of the Bin Container are saved with the project, but I will get that confirmed. 

3) Floating bins/windows are windows that can be located anywhere and saved(much like previous versions). Paneled bins/windows are placed into specific areas that fill from left to right of that area. 

4) Yes, that seems to be the case. Any item in that menu should be selectable to map to a keyboard shortcut. 

Does that help at all? 

- MacPro, 2.66 GHz, 14G RAM; OS 10.8.4; MC DX Nitris; ISIS 4.5 - MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz i7, 8G RAM, ISIS 4.5 - z800 Xeon 2.93Ghz, 12G RAM, Win 7, DX Nitris... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 25 2019 4:03 PM In reply to

Hi Keith, Thank you VERY much for clarifying- it's truly appreciated!

I think you covered most everything, but here's some follow-up:

Based on your response, I have mapped both "Save Current" from Bin Layout and Workspace Properties, for easy access. (I also menu-mapped Workspace/Properties, which is so handy.

When comparing a user-defined workspace that includes a Bin Layout vs. the same Workspace where no Bin Layout has been assigned, what is the difference between what's actually saved? This is what I'm most curious about- which tools or items are saved in Workspaces vs. tools or items saved solely by saved Bin Layouts?

If I save a User-Defined Workspace, which includes a Bin Layout, does that saved Workspace update "automatically" if and when that assigned Bin Layout is subsequently changed with a "Save Current"? Or, is it necessary to always save BOTH - First, a "Save Current" on the Bin Layout I want to update, followed by a "Save Current" on ALL of the Workspaces where that Bin Layout name has been assigned in Properties?

Thanks again for any insights. I'm enjoying the new software very much!

Keith Gerrard:

Hi  Telegram!,

Let me see if I can help here:

1) The Workspaces and Bin Layouts are not saved at the same time. So, unfortunately, you have to save both if you want both the WS and layout saved. If the WS and the Bin layout are named the same thing, then when you recall the WS we -should- recall both for you. 

2) I believe the names of the Bin Container are saved with the project, but I will get that confirmed. 

3) Floating bins/windows are windows that can be located anywhere and saved(much like previous versions). Paneled bins/windows are placed into specific areas that fill from left to right of that area. 

4) Yes, that seems to be the case. Any item in that menu should be selectable to map to a keyboard shortcut. 

Does that help at all? 

Keith Gerrard:

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 25 2019 5:32 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,755
    • Points 62,015

Telegram!:

If I save a User-Defined Workspace, which includes a Bin Layout, does that saved Workspace update "automatically" if and when that assigned Bin Layout is subsequently changed with a "Save Current"? Or, is it necessary to always save BOTH - First, a "Save Current" on the Bin Layout I want to update, followed by a "Save Current" on ALL of the Workspaces where that Bin Layout name has been assigned in Properties?

Pretty sure the workspace only saves the name of the bin layout which means that it's a loose coupling - you should be able to change the bin layout independently to a certain extent (as long as it doesn't change outer dimensions) - if the outer dimensions of the bin layout changed that would require an update to the workspace. 

I haven't tried this myself (but I will shortly). You could give it a go as well to see and report back here. Very interesting (good questions, btw).

Cheers

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 2020.6 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2020.5 | Sapphire 2020.5 | Mocha Pro 2020.5 | Titler Pro 7 | Windows 10 Pro... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Tue, Jun 25 2019 5:50 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,755
    • Points 62,015

I'm just in the process of giving it a try but I don't seem to know how to create a saved bin layout that can then be linked to a workspace. I can setup named settings for things like the timeline layout but not for bins (there seems to be a problem between the chair and keyboard at the moment).

Will watch this thread for possible suggestions...

add...

Found it - Windows > Bin Layout > New Bin Layout...

OK - So you can create Bin layouts and then link a particular layout to a Workspace (Settings > User > Workspace <XXX>).

You can save changes to your Bin layout via Windows > Bin Layout > Save Current and this will then be the new state for any workspace linked to this layout (without having to re-save the workspace itself).

This is how all linked settings by name work in MC and this loose coupling is a very powerful concept (although it does present a different challenge than when the settings are burried in the workspace, I suppose).

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 2020.6 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2020.5 | Sapphire 2020.5 | Mocha Pro 2020.5 | Titler Pro 7 | Windows 10 Pro... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Tue, Jun 25 2019 6:52 PM In reply to

Thanks and very grateful for your tests, Steve. (I'm away from my system, probably for a least a day, fyi.) But for my sake, could you go over in more detail what you just did? I see that you found

Windows > Bin Layout > New Bin Layout...

Did you also find the "Properties" section in Windows > Workspace ? that's the place where I assigned a previously created & saved (one of) my Bin Layouts. Also, it seemed to me, that from the upper panel in Workspace > Properties, I could Link the Workspace to any particular Setting thatI typed in. (was there also a Drop-down available? I don't recall)

Reading your description, below, It seems that you have discovered a way, inside Settings > Workspaces to "Link by Common Name"-- or perhaps I've got that wrong? I willl have to look those settings over next time im on my system.

I did like that I could right-click to Duplicate and then manually re-name a workspace-- then see the re-named duplicate immediately in the Workspace toolbar (the new strip on right side with icons, text and it's own settings button)

On a separate question: when you made your New Bin Layout, what was the actual name you used? Was it a copy/paste match of an existing Default Workspace name, or your own User-defined one? Or was it not an exact match?(I cannot remember if the software required a "Unique" Bin Layout name-- even though it ws my first attempt.)

2nd separate question: Can you confirm that in the Command Palette > Workspaces Tab , that to the right of the little W1, W2,... etc buttons/section that there's  a dropdown that includes your not just your saved workspaces, but also Saved Bin Layouts? That's just so I have a second confirmation that we can separately map (outside of a Workspace > Property) our Bin Layouts onto keyboard/icons.

I can't help wondering if pressing such a mapped Bin Layout, it will work to over-ride a User-Defined Workspace which already includes a different assigned Bin Layout. Or does it only apply when there is none aigned to the active workspace?

Thanks so much! Let's figure this ALL out, right here right now....(no rush, actually) including how best to maximize this technoloigy for our particular editing and storytelling needs.

BarkinMadd:

I'm just in the process of giving it a try but I don't seem to know how to create a saved bin layout that can then be linked to a workspace. I can setup named settings for things like the timeline layout but not for bins (there seems to be a problem between the chair and keyboard at the moment).

Will watch this thread for possible suggestions...

add...

Found it - Windows > Bin Layout > New Bin Layout...

OK - So you can create Bin layouts and then link a particular layout to a Workspace (Settings > User > Workspace <XXX>).

You can save changes to your Bin layout via Windows > Bin Layout > Save Current and this will then be the new state for any workspace linked to this layout (without having to re-save the workspace itself).

This is how all linked settings by name work in MC and this loose coupling is a very powerful concept (although it does present a different challenge than when the settings are burried in the workspace, I suppose).

• Tue, Jun 25 2019 9:20 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,755
    • Points 62,015

Here's what I did.

1. Create a Bin Layout for my Edit workspace (for example):

2. Then I opened File > Settings > User and found the Workspaces at the bottom:

3. Then I opened the workspace setting for my Edit workspace and associated the new BinEdit layout with my Edit workspace:

I also entered the name 'Edit' in the linked to named settings to take advantage of another feature of Media Composer:

In this case, I arranged my timeline the way I like it and then at the bottom of the timeline I clicked the little drop-list and selected 'Save As...' and entered the name 'Edit' (which is the name I used above in the Workspace Settings View as well).

So now when I select my Edit workspace, MC automatically sets my timeline to this saved 'Edit' layout and sets my Bin Layout to the saved 'BinEdit'.

Later I can change my timeline layout and then Save As... Edit to overwrite my previous edit settings and similarly I can resave my Bin Layout as BinEdit and both of these changes will take effect when I select my Edit workspace (I tried this and it works - I didn't have to re-save my Edit workspace).

I also created a BinColor Bin Layout for my Color workspace, and so on.

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Tue, Jun 25 2019 9:27 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,755
    • Points 62,015

BTW - Is this what you were asking:

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Tue, Jun 25 2019 9:58 PM In reply to

Steve, that's very clear. thanks. So to re-cap: A timeline view can be linked to a workspace by having the same name; the Bin Layout, (which I guess can include a User-Defined Bin View), is assigned to a workspace via that Properties menu selction that you showed;

IF there was NO Bin Layout saved, BUT a User-defined Bin View was created that matched a workspace name..... would that Bin View be selected as default view for the newly selected Workspace?

At which point I go back to this question: just what is saved by Saving a Bin Layout that's not saved by saving a Workspace alone? Is it saving the position and size of Floating Bins? and/or any subtle re-sizing available between the docked/paneled tools inside a workspace's basic "structure"?

Anything else saved in a Bin Layout? A Renamed Bin Container, perhaps?

I feel good. For me, this is real progress....

• Tue, Jun 25 2019 10:01 PM In reply to

yes, exactly. And to complicate matters-- if you have mapped several different Bin Views with button-to-button mapping out of there, do they "over-ride" an existing workspace's Bin Layout assignment, if even temporarily?

BarkinMadd:

BTW - Is this what you were asking:

• Tue, Jun 25 2019 10:12 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,755
    • Points 62,015

Telegram!:

IF there was NO Bin Layout saved, BUT a User-defined Bin View was created that matched a workspace name..... would that Bin View be selected as default view for the newly selected Workspace?

I don't think so - you will need to try that :-)

Telegram!:

At which point I go back to this question: just what is saved by Saving a Bin Layout that's not saved by saving a Workspace alone? Is it saving the position and size of Floating Bins? and/or any subtle re-sizing available between the docked/paneled tools inside a workspace's basic "structure"?

Actually - the Bin Layout is not saved in the Workspace, only the area of the Bin Layout from what I can see - the inner layout of which bins and split views, columns, etc. are not saved in the Workspace (just in the Bin Layout). I could be wrong. You might have to do some testing...

Telegram!:

Anything else saved in a Bin Layout? A Renamed Bin Container, perhaps?

I can't say.

Cheers

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Tue, Jun 25 2019 10:22 PM In reply to

Yes, I'll give them all a try next time I'm on my machine... for sure.

• Wed, Jun 26 2019 12:24 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,755
    • Points 62,015

Keith Gerrard:

...If the WS and the Bin layout are named the same thing, then when you recall the WS we -should- recall both for you. 

I'm not sure if this is true, Keith - I'll have to try it and report back.

add - I just tried naming a Bin Layout 'Color' and MC reported that I was not allowed to name it because the name was already used by either a Workspace or a Bin Layout so it would seem that you cannot name a Bin Layout the same as a workspace to take advantage of that type of linking and I guess that makes sense given that the Bin Layouts and Workspaces share the same name space (just look a couple of posts back where the Command Palette shows both Workspaces and Bin Layouts in the same drop list).

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Wed, Jun 26 2019 8:06 AM In reply to

BarkinMadd:

Telegram!:

I don't think so - you will need to try that :-)

You might double-check me, but sadly it looks like you are right about this. My EDIT Timeline setting did change to show when the EDIT workspace was selected, but isn't a user-defined BIN View just as important?

The message in the Workspace > Properties window states: "When the current workspace is selected, activate all Settings with the following name.". So my expectation was that by creating and saving a BIN VIEW called EDIT and assigning it in the Properties of the EDIT Workspace, all open bins would switch over to my user-defined EDIT BIN VIEW.

Not so, in my system, on a quick test.

If it's not a bug or operator error, then I propose MC offer the option to permit BIN VIEWS be included within the "workspace linking by name" feature in Workspace >Properties.

And by the way, using the Mouse Scroll wheel as it is hovering over the "Choose a Bin View" box, beautifully flips through the  entire inventory of Bin Views ...it's so modern-looking and fast and fun.

It would be really cool if MC offered a keyboard mappable so that we could simply press a keyboard button, then "Mouse Wheel Flip" - without having to first go fishing with the mouse for the precise "hover spot" on a Bin.

....and if MC provided that same "fast-flipping action" for all Workspaces, it would be dazzling.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller