Latest post Mon, Jun 24 2019 11:28 AM by Tim. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 21 2019 7:58 AM

• Luxgap
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 75
    • Points 1,005

2019 version, can one go back to 2018.12?

After years of unwavering fidelity to this product I have finally encountered a version of Avid that is just not for me. Over 20 years of everyday experience and 3 hours tonight of frustration. Avid is taking away everything that I found the most useful personally from this productive software, customization. I cannot change fonts, the command palette to map my keyboard does not open, disrespect for sizing of windows in workspaces, horrible redesign of large buttons that take away from screen real estate, and most annoying to me, that little sidebar that tells me my timeline is a timeline, my Time Code is a time code, ect. Is Avid attempting to make this like Premiere or Resolve or even Final Cut X? I have worked/work with all of these other products but always have enjoyed going back to the most solid, customizable product. Once again, things seem to be getting dummified and choices are being taken away (white or purple as the highlight choices? why?)  Must I conform or can I go back to a perfectly working 2018.12?

Sorry about this rant but I am extremely dissappointed.

Z820 Dual Xeon 2690, 64gigs Ram, Windows 10 Pro 64Bit, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980, Blackmagic Decklink Mini. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 21 2019 9:43 AM In reply to

Re: 2019 version, can one go back to 2018.12?

Yes, you can go back to 2012.x.

As for the rest, you can turn off the sidebar, but I'm not in front of a machine at the moment, so I can't give you detailed instructions. Depending on what fonts you want to change, there are interface settings to look at. I'm not sure what buttons you're mad about, but if it's the new workspace ones you can make those smaller or hide them altogether.

Media Composer 2020.9 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Windows 10 Pro [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Jun 21 2019 11:20 AM In reply to

• scocklin
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 673
    • Points 8,020

I felt the same way, when I open up 2019.6 first thing I said was where the hell is the project window but I did some searching on Google and found a set of tutorials by Kevin McAuliffe, watch them.  I've been with Avid for over 20 years also,  things change in this business and we have to adapt and learn or retire.

https://www.provideocoalition.com/mc2019/

HP Z800 2x 3.46GHz Hex Core X5690, 96GB Ram, Windows 10, Samsung SSD 1TB, Nvidia Quadro K4000, GTX 1080 FTW, DeckLink SDI 4K, Avid MC-2018.12.7 , MacBook... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 21 2019 1:00 PM In reply to

Luxgap:
    I cannot change fonts, the command palette to map my keyboard does not open

Lux, I am on a Win system, too. I am able to change fonts for Composer, Timeline with Windows (Top Menu) and after going into Settings/Interface I now have both sides of Bin fonts set to my liking with a different font.

There are new Settings in the middle of that page that have a impact on customizing Bin Fonts & Backgrounds. hth

I am able to see my Command Palette, so good luck with that. I suggest using CTRL+3 to open it, bring it forward.

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 21 2019 4:05 PM In reply to

• Toby
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 4 2013
    • Los Angeles, California
    • Posts 68
    • Points 810

Steve, thanks for that link to the Kevin McAuliffe videos! I’ll watch.

I think we will all get used to the new Avid - and they have put a great deal of effort into making it highly customizable. It would be amazing if there was a “change all settings to match my old version for now” button though - for people who start working with the new version and just don’t have time to figure out all the changes :)

PC tower: Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4Ghz. 32gb RAM. 64 bit Win10 Pro. Avid 2019 (as of Oct 2019). GTX 1070 Ti. [view my complete system specs]

Mr TV Editor
    Los Angeles, California

• Fri, Jun 21 2019 4:34 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,378
    • Points 233,180
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Check out these as well everyone.....

Between Kevin's and Avid's - you should get up to speed quickly.

Tutorials

https://www.avid.com/media-composer-ultimate/learn-and-support#Tutorials

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 24 2019 11:28 AM In reply to

• Tim
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 12 2016
    • Posts 26
    • Points 285

Luxgap:

and most annoying to me, that little sidebar that tells me my timeline is a timeline, my Time Code is a time code, ect. 

if you're willing to give the new UI a go try stacking some of your tools with alt+drag, the sidebar is there to identify each tool, for example: I have my motion effect editor stacked under my audio mixer as a vertical tab

AVID MC 2020.8 / Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K / Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2ghz / 64GB ram / GeForce RTX 2080 Ti / Windows 10 pro / [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller