Latest post Wed, Jul 3 2019 7:49 AM by derDoyle. 71 replies.
Page 2 of 5 (72 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 18 2019 9:48 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,312
    • Points 232,455
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Important Update on Upcoming Creative Tools Price Adjustments | 7.1.19

Sebastiaan

Huh  

2018.12, 2018.12.1, 2018.12.2, 2018.12.3, 2018.12.4, 2018.12.5, 2018.12.6 and so on with 2018.12.6 coming Thursday.  

Remember this doc folks....    I attached it as a quick example I found of MC 8 thru 2019.7  features - whats new.

Aside, it is never a good time to announce as always someone is in a bad situation to address the news.  just email me when you are back from Holiday and if interested in renewing I am sure I can work with you to make that happen.

2019.6 comes Thursday as well... 

Marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Jun 18 2019 11:42 PM In reply to

• LDV20
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 18 2011
    • Posts 299
    • Points 3,575

So just to understand - my renewal will be up in Dec 2019.  So now I can renew for 299 and therefore I will good be till Dec of 2021.  Correct?

Thank you

Larry

Symphony 2020.8 - Win 10 pro (1909),Gigabyte X299X with i9 10920X cpu, Quadro P2000, 64gig memory, 1TB NV ystem drive, WD 4TB, BM Min Monitor, 11.7 drivers... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 18 2019 11:52 PM In reply to

• LDV20
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 18 2011
    • Posts 299
    • Points 3,575

Maianna,

Is the subscription less expensive than the perpetual license?  I saw 199 for year if paid in full. I am missing something here - Please, what is the difference?

Thank you

Larry

Symphony 2020.8 - Win 10 pro (1909),Gigabyte X299X with i9 10920X cpu, Quadro P2000, 64gig memory, 1TB NV ystem drive, WD 4TB, BM Min Monitor, 11.7 drivers... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 19 2019 12:20 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,312
    • Points 232,455
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

If you renew bu July 1 then we add 365 to the end of your existing plan so 2020 would be correct.

marianna

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

mobile 813-493-6800

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Jun 19 2019 12:22 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,312
    • Points 232,455
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Larry

subscription is rental. Perpetual you own. So with subscription, if you let it lapse it goes away. With perpetual if it lapses you can still use the last version you had before your plan expired.

marianna

mobile 813-493-6800

WWLD

• Wed, Jun 19 2019 1:21 AM In reply to

• wmcole
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Posts 589
    • Points 7,820

So is there a bug with Avid Link?  I thought it was supposed to tell me when an update to Media Composer was available.  But Avid Link told me to update Avid Link from 2019.3 to 2019.4 then recently 2019.5 but it has yet to tell me there was an update of Media Composer past 2019.12.3?

Was up?

I thought the point of Avid Link was to keep me up-to-date, not just through advertising and "hot" social media posts... :^(

AND, since Avid already knows what the new pricing is going to by, why don't they just tell us so we can make an informed decision as to whether to update now or seek 'other solutions'?

wmc

HP z840 dual 8-core; PCI slot 3, Creative SB X-Fi audio card; 32 GB Ram; 4 x 1 TB RAID 5 internal SATA Western Digital Caviar Green Media drives (appears... [view my complete system specs]

-----

wmc

• Wed, Jun 19 2019 1:22 AM In reply to

Marianna,

Where can I find the new price options? I´ve been looking around for a while but can´t find it.

Cheers,

Ed.

MacBook Pro 16 (2019), 8GB 5500MX, 32GB RAM, OSX 10.15.4, MC 2020.4 || Mac Pro 8 core 2.4 Ghz (Middle 2010), 40 Gb RAM, BM Mini Monitor 4k, GTX970 4GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 19 2019 1:42 AM In reply to

• wmcole
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Posts 589
    • Points 7,820

Marianna:
    ...because this is the direction of the entire industry and the way people would prefer to license software.

Nooo- it is because company bean-counters run a spreadsheet with assumptions that make the bottom line look better with subscription models.  It has NOTHING to do with users clamoring for subscription software.  Witness Adobe and Lightroom.  The got warned about subscription for Lightroom by MANY PROFESSIONAL users, not just hobbiests.  So they put it off for almost 2 years until they though they had users over a barrell and they would have no choice.  As soon as they change-over to subscription only was made, Luminar, On1, Phase 1 Affinity, and DxO started an amazing rise in popularity.  And they are still converting more LR 6 users who waited becasue they were locked into Adobe's database (which included the non-destructive edits on each photo) when On 1 created an importer that re-applies those edits using On 1 features and places them in an On 1 DB. 

Yep, the majority  of users DO NOT prefer subscription licensing (and stating the opposite as fact just makes a company look stupid and / or untrustworthy).  They have to be tricked, forced or lured into it until the perpetual option can be eliminated, then the subscription fees ramped up to increase a company's bottom line without having to do the work of expanding its market share.

Let's be honest: subscription is just a pause in the progression to pay-per-use when all the applications are hosted "in the cloud", no part of it resides on your local machine, and you pay for both time and TX/RX bytes.

HP z840 dual 8-core; PCI slot 3, Creative SB X-Fi audio card; 32 GB Ram; 4 x 1 TB RAID 5 internal SATA Western Digital Caviar Green Media drives (appears... [view my complete system specs]

-----

wmc

• Wed, Jun 19 2019 3:47 AM In reply to

• mrtymcln
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 16 2016
    • Sydney, NSW
    • Posts 75
    • Points 805

We do not prefer subscriptions. Look at what happened to Adobe—everyone is leaving them for Affinity and Capture One.

Telling us that you're increasing prices on 1st July is not helpful if you don't give us any idea of what they will be, so we can make informed decisions. I know work will re-new their support contract in Janurary but this is not inticing me to stay with Avid personally.

It's great the UI has stepped into the 21st Century, but if licensing options are too complicated (describe in plain English), activation is still convuluted (logging into your account should auto-activate) then this will turn-off newer/younger editors.

Media Composer 2020.8 with PF and SS | 2015 MacBook Pro with macOS 10.14.6 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 19 2019 4:32 AM In reply to

• jpoellot
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 32
    • Points 395

Software rental may be the direction of the industry but certainly not the way everyone wishes to license software. I have been a freelance editor for 17-ish years and have continued to renew my annual perpetual support plan, but miss the days when I could purchase an Avid upgrade based on features that would earn me money - not just cool stuff added in for marketing’s sake.  When I land on a stable Avid release (which certainly is not every version these days) I tend to stick with it until my work requires or would benefit from new features. Media Composer is a tool for me. A carpenter doesn’t rent a circular saw, they own it and can use it at any time without concern of a renewal fee or activation error. When I use Media Composer with my decade+ old USB dongle it works (usually) - why would I trade that in for a rental?  Do Avid’s marketing and business division employees own cars?  Own houses?  The idea that users would “prefer” to rent software is purely based on the concept of steady and predictable income for the company. 

• Wed, Jun 19 2019 5:47 AM In reply to

• SSherrick
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 25 2012
    • Boston
    • Posts 41
    • Points 490

Let’s have an honest discussion here. I was not surprised by Avid’s email today. Marianna is correct, it is the way the industry is going. And as it currently stands, Avid is still doing it correctly by offering the customer the choice. Adobe decided to go all in on subscription, as I have written about ad nauseam. In my opinion, their approach is borderline extortion. Don’t want to keep paying, you don’t get to play. At current pricing, Adobe’s model hasn’t become as obvious extortion yet because the price is reasonable for what you get. But if tomorrow, they raised prices to $199/month, which some could argue is still good value if these are tools you use to make a good living with, would everyone still feel all warm and fuzzy about subscription? We all know why the industry is going subscription, it’s a predictable model that guarantees income streams. Avid, like Adobe has looked at the numbers and they see the financial benefit of such model. By raising perpetual pricing, you try to “encourage” people to switch into subscription. And that may work to get some users over. And as long as people have an option to own, then Avid has not really gone down the same road as Adobe. 

It’s becoming a bit more difficult for me to justify MC these days because the type of work I am doing can be easily accomplished using FCPX and Resolve. But, I have kept MC in the arsenal because of the perpetual license. I can still justify it and I still prefer it in certain situations, plus it means I can bring in Avid projects when need be. 

As long as Avid doesn’t turn to extortion, I will support them. As long as they don’t turn to borderline ethical practices used by one of the other “A” companies that exploit your computer by using AI and other invasive methods, then I will support them. I do think this is a big year for Avid with the new release. There is a level of expectation here with long time users and next generation editors who are looking at their options. I’m optimistic that Avid will go all in to bring the world’s best NLE into the 21st century and compete wholeheartedly for marketshare, not only amongst the feature and TV editors but those like me who have small shops doing a wide range of projects. I can tell you that if the new MC delivers, the $399/year perpetual license support plan will be well worth the investment. If it doesn’t, I know I have options. 

• Wed, Jun 19 2019 7:44 AM In reply to

• CinéMatica
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 24 2014
    • Belgium | Europe
    • Posts 190
    • Points 2,210

Eduardo Serrano:
    Where can I find the new price options? I´ve been looking around for a while but can´t find it.

Ed,

When you look under the title of Marianna's first post in this topic, you can download the PDF-document.

Or you can download it from the link below.

http://community.avid.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.PostAttachments/00.00.88.31.02/MC-Price-Changes.pdf

Hope this helps!

Greetings,

Ivan

(Avid 1) HP Z840 | 2x 18 Core Intel Xeon E5-2699v3 / 2.3GHz 35MB | 128GB PC4-17000P 2133MHz / 8x 16GB DDR4 | NVIDIA Quadro P4000 / 8GB GDDR5 / 4x DP 5K... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 19 2019 7:54 AM In reply to

• QMax
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 11 2010
    • Milan, Italy
    • Posts 28
    • Points 315

Personally, I totally agree with other users that DO NOT LIKE subscriptions licenses.

But, let me do some considerations about actual price-list for AMC:

€23,18 1-Year Subscription, Paid Monthly - €278,16/year

€230,58 1-Year Subscription, Paid Upfront (Download)

€29,28 Monthly Subscription, Paid Monthly (Download) - €351,36/year

Media Composer Perpetual
    €321.30 1-Year Software Updates + Support Plan RENEWAL

So, excluding the monthly Subcription/Paid, the Support Plan Renewal for Perpetual AMC is the most expensive.

This sounds to me like a punishment for old customers.

And don't forget that, to have a Perpetual license, I had to pay more than €1300.

My hope: price will change only for the Perpetual purchase price, not for Plan Renewal.

My wish: new price for Perpetual Plan Renewal aligned to the 1-Year Subscription, Paid Upfront, because it's almost the same. Privileges for ownership are already payed with product purchase.

Max

Avid Media Composer 2020.5 Perpetual|Symphony Option|Dongle PC: Asus PRIME z370-A, Intel i7-8700K/3.70Ghz, 32Gb, Win10 Pro x64, nVidia GTX 1060-6GB OWC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 19 2019 8:01 AM In reply to

• CinéMatica
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 24 2014
    • Belgium | Europe
    • Posts 190
    • Points 2,210

Marianna,

What will be the new price of the "1 Year Subscription (Annual Commit Pay Monthly)" for the Symphony option? It is not listed in the PDF-document.

Thanks,

Ivan

(Avid 1) HP Z840 | 2x 18 Core Intel Xeon E5-2699v3 / 2.3GHz 35MB | 128GB PC4-17000P 2133MHz / 8x 16GB DDR4 | NVIDIA Quadro P4000 / 8GB GDDR5 / 4x DP 5K... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 19 2019 12:15 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,755
    • Points 62,015

QMax:

Personally, I totally agree with other users that DO NOT LIKE subscriptions licenses.

But, let me do some considerations about actual price-list for AMC:

€23,18 1-Year Subscription, Paid Monthly - €278,16/year

€230,58 1-Year Subscription, Paid Upfront (Download)

€29,28 Monthly Subscription, Paid Monthly (Download) - €351,36/year

Media Composer Perpetual
    €321.30 1-Year Software Updates + Support Plan RENEWAL

So, excluding the monthly Subcription/Paid, the Support Plan Renewal for Perpetual AMC is the most expensive.

This sounds to me like a punishment for old customers.

And don't forget that, to have a Perpetual license, I had to pay more than €1300.

My hope: price will change only for the Perpetual purchase price, not for Plan Renewal.

My wish: new price for Perpetual Plan Renewal aligned to the 1-Year Subscription, Paid Upfront, because it's almost the same. Privileges for ownership are already payed with product purchase.

Max

I agree but I'm wondering what 'Media Composer' is versus 'Media Composer | Ultimate'? Maybe our perpetual license is equivalent to 'Media Composer | Ultimate' and hence the perpetual update is actually cheaper than the equivalent subscription... I'll have to look into this. It really does seem like perpetual users are being punished here. I'm very disappointed.

add - nope - Ultimate include Script Sync, Phrase Find and the Symphony options so the ultimate pricing is not equivalent to our perpetual license (unless you have all these options perpetually).

So owners of the perpetual license are being punished. 

It looks like you can cross-grade to a Media Composer | Ultimate (from a perpetual license) for $299 / year (but I don't know if that's a locked-in price or just for the first year. The pricing is actually a bit confusing but this is my takeaway (in US dollars):

Media Composer Perpetual - was $299/y now $399/y

Media Composer subscription  - was $199/y now $239/y

Media Composer | Ultimate subscription - was $499/y now $499/y (no chnage)

and finally

Media Composer Perpetual to Media Composer | Ultimate crossgrade - was $399/y now $299/y (down 25%)

My question is - is this last option, the crossgrade, something that will now cost us $299/y for each year going forward and if so, this is certainly cheaper than keeping an perpetual license plus we get:

Script Find, Phrase Find and the Symphony option...

For me, I won't use Script Find and Phrase Find and I already purchased the Symphony option but.... 

In my opinion, the annual perpetual update and support plan should still be $299 based on all of these considerations. Essentially you would then be faced with the compromise of paying the same but getting these other options.

Now it could be (and I'll wait for Avid to chime in here) that the crossgrade option I referenced above is just for the first year after which that option would cost $499/y and then we could argue that perpetual is $399/y and Ultimate subscription is $499/y so unless you need Script Sync and Phrase Find, the perpetual is cheaper - but I really can't say.

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 2020.6 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2020.5 | Sapphire 2020.5 | Mocha Pro 2020.5 | Titler Pro 7 | Windows 10 Pro... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

Page 2 of 5 (72 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller