Latest post Tue, Jun 11 2019 3:19 PM by Terry Snyder. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jun 9 2019 4:56 PM

Can't deceide between 2 down-convert options?

I have a UHD project which I need to down-convert to 1080p for local commercial insertion.   I tried 2 separate methods:

1) Dragged the UHD sequence into a 1080p project, exported as same-as-source (DNxHR) and encoded to broadcaster's specs in Squeeze.

2) Exported a same-as-source and down-converted to 1080p specs directly in Squeeze.

For the life of me, I can see any difference in quality. Confused  But I'm using a computer monitor, not an expensive calibrated broadcast monitor.   I'm hoping someone who works with high-end calibrated equipment can tell me if one method is better than the other...or maybe there is no discernable difference?

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Sun, Jun 9 2019 5:57 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,742
    • Points 44,890

Re: Can't deceide between 2 down-convert options?

My experience tells me that all downconversion (and upconversion) tools react differently based on the content.  I don't think I would say one tool is "better" than another for all material.

You have to experiment a lot and then use the gained knowledge.

And like you found, sometimes they all look the same .....

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sun, Jun 9 2019 6:45 PM In reply to

My experience is some scaling tools have issues with certain types of content so as Jef says it depends on what you start with and what it looks like at the end.

So having a few different methods is useful if you see something you don't like with one tool.

If it looks ok use whatever is the least effort.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Sun, Jun 9 2019 11:25 PM In reply to

You could try to export your UHD as "same as source" and then link into the 1080p project. Do a transcode with frameflex activated. Otherwise, I have found Sorenson to be sufficient.

Marc

Windows 10 Enterprise - Dell Precision 7820 - 32GB RAM - DNxIQ - Nvidia Quadro P4000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 10 2019 3:55 PM In reply to

jef:

My experience tells me that all downconversion (and upconversion) tools react differently based on the content.  I don't think I would say one tool is "better" than another for all material.

You have to experiment a lot and then use the gained knowledge.

And like you found, sometimes they all look the same .....

Jef

They certainly look alike too me.  But now I know to test both versions if I find the first one doesn't quite look right.

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Mon, Jun 10 2019 4:44 PM In reply to

• scocklin
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Maryland
    • Posts 673
    • Points 8,020

I must be missing somthing here,  I shoot most everything UHD these days, bring it in to Avid UHD and switch the format in Avid to HD 1080.  That way I can use Frame Flex to reframe my scenes. When I'm done I export same as source with the format still set to HD 1080. What is the difference between using this method and down converting?

Thanks

HP Z800 2x 3.46GHz Hex Core X5690, 96GB Ram, Windows 10, Samsung SSD 1TB, Nvidia Quadro K4000, GTX 1080 FTW, DeckLink SDI 4K, Avid MC-2018.12.7 , MacBook... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 11 2019 3:19 PM In reply to

scocklin:
    I shoot most everything UHD these days, bring it in to Avid UHD and switch the format in Avid to HD 1080.

scocklin:
    What is the difference between using this method and down converting?

I have always wondered how MC down-converts when switching project resolutions?   Since it's practically instantaneous when switching projects, I doubt MC is re-transcoding the footage the way Squeeze does when down-converting from a higher resolution same-as-source file.   Does MC only down-convert when exporting the same-as-source?

My thinking in preferring to use Squeeze when encoding 1080p broadcast delivery from UHD is to avoid transcoding twice.  None of my broadcasters accept an Avid same-as-source for commercial insertion--even when the same-as-source is a 1080p file.   Every broadcaster has their own specs regarding bit rate, format (Mpeg-2 vs MOV) and codec.   By using Squeeze to encode an HD broadcast deliverable from the UHD same-as-source, I'm only transcoding once from the original material.   Or maybe I'm wrong... Confused

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller