Latest post Tue, May 7 2019 8:54 PM by Bruno M. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, May 6 2019 8:18 PM

Huge re-transcode and relink

Ah geez, I've just done the sort of thing you only do if you're really new to Media Composer or have been on it so long you get a little too comfortable with important tasks.

I unintentionally deleted a ton of Media Files!Embarrassed I was trying to delete unused precomputes and, without noticing, clicked on Media Files as well. Now, fortunately, before hitting delete, I found Media Relatives to my last several cuts and then reversed selection so none of the master clips these media files were linked to are in the current cut, but, ah, you know, this is bound to be a huge problem.

So I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to fix this. These clips were all brought in AMA, transcoded and then many were synced and/or grouped. There was a ton of work behind this.

Honestly, I considered not even posting this here because I'm embarassed I did something so foolish. I've been on Premiere lately and just forgot some of the rules. I have the time to re-transcode. But is there a way to relink in this case? I just can't remember.

Deeply, deeply embarassed,

Martin

MC 2018.11.0, OS 10.13.6, Early 2009 Nehalem MacPro4,1, 2 X 2.6 GHz Quad-Core updated with Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB system drive, 32 GB RAM and ATI Radeon... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 6 2019 9:09 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,452
    • Points 17,915

Re: Huge re-transcode and relink

It may not be so bad.

Ignore the intermediate steps for a moment and think about the beginning and end.

You say the clips were originally AMA linked?  Good.  Link to the sources anew in a new bin.  Then open your original source bins.  In most cases, the metadata in the clips will allow the original linked clips to automatatically repopulate with actual media.  If that works you can relink from (a copy of) your final sequence back to the source clips, bypassing the whole transcode process.  You can also relink your multicam clips back to the AMA'd sources that same way.

From there, if you want or need to re-transcode anything you can. (And then of course relink to the transcoded clips from your sequences, multicams, subclips, etc.)

Note: As a personal preference, I generally relink by ticking the "Selected items in ALL open bins" option, as I feel it gives me more control. 

Hope this helps.

• Mon, May 6 2019 9:28 PM In reply to

Hmm, this sounds so promising, but I'm not sure I completely follow. And maybe I didn't explain well

smrpix:

You say the clips were originally AMA linked?  Good.  Link to the sources anew in a new bin.  Then open your original source bins.

I AMAed and then transcoded everything. All my syncing and grouping was done with the transcoded files. When you say link to the sources in a new bin, do you mean put the AMA clips in a new bin and— no, I'm already lost.

I feel like I have in fact done this sort of relinking in the past; I just can't seem to get it to work this time.

I do appreciate any more guidance you can provide.

Martin

MC 2018.11.0, OS 10.13.6, Early 2009 Nehalem MacPro4,1, 2 X 2.6 GHz Quad-Core updated with Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB system drive, 32 GB RAM and ATI Radeon... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 6 2019 10:00 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 716
    • Points 8,975

Martin in Chicago:

I AMAed and then transcoded everything. All my syncing and grouping was done with the transcoded files. When you say link to the sources in a new bin, do you mean put the AMA clips in a new bin and— no, I'm already lost.

I feel like I have in fact done this sort of relinking in the past; I just can't seem to get it to work this time.

I do appreciate any more guidance you can provide.

Martin

I'm assuming the bins that you originally AMA/linked your files to are showing all the clips as offline - probably because you removed the original footage once transcoded. I'm also assuming you've put these rushes back on your drives somewhere and are attempting (unsuccessfully) to relink them to the original AMA/linked files.

What smrpix is explaining is that you ignore the original AMA/linked bins for now and just re AMA/link the footage in a new bin (or bins). Once you've done this, you should find when you reopen the original bins, the master clips will have magically re-linked.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 2018.9, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 6 2019 10:25 PM In reply to

I'm away from my system for the rest of the night, but I'll try that in the morning.

Thanks,

Martin

• Mon, May 6 2019 11:24 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,452
    • Points 17,915

Bruno M:

What smrpix is explaining is that you ignore the original AMA/linked bins for now and just re AMA/link the footage in a new bin (or bins). Once you've done this, you should find when you reopen the original bins, the master clips will have magically re-linked.

Thanks Bruno -- that's clearer than how I said it.

• Tue, May 7 2019 7:43 PM In reply to

Bruno and smrpix (how do you pronounce that?),

Thank you so much for your patient and thorough help. I now remember I have gone through that exact process before when I wanted to revert back to the original files on an earlier project. But I would not have gotten there this time. I don't think I realized I was never going to be able to link to my original AMA bins, but had to bring them in again.

You two truly saved me hours, if not days, of deeply monontonous work accompanied by no end of self flaggelation. I am endlessly gratified by the sense of community to be found here and in other forums.

Thank you again,

Martin

• Tue, May 7 2019 7:46 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,512
    • Points 234,840
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Martin in Chicago:

Bruno and smrpix (how do you pronounce that?),

Thank you so much for your patient and thorough help. I now remember I have gone through that exact process before when I wanted to revert back to the original files on an earlier project. But I would not have gotten there this time. I don't think I realized I was never going to be able to link to my original AMA bins, but had to bring them in again.

You two truly saved me hours, if not days, of deeply monontonous work accompanied by no end of self flaggelation. I am endlessly gratified by the sense of community to be found here and in other forums.

Thank you again,

Martin

Great Job Bruno and smrpix ( I know who you are lololol)

Love this community!

Marianna

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 7 2019 7:57 PM In reply to

Marianna:

Great Job Bruno and smrpix ( I know who you are lololol)

Love this community!

Marianna

Here, here!

Martin

• Tue, May 7 2019 8:13 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,452
    • Points 17,915

Aw shucks.   Glad it worked out!

• Tue, May 7 2019 8:54 PM In reply to

• Bruno M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 11 2010
    • London, UK
    • Posts 716
    • Points 8,975

Happy to give back to a community that has helped me out in the past.

HP Z800, HP G3 Studio, SonnetFusion RAID, Mojo DX, Symphony 2018.9, JVC DTV1910 HD tube monitor, HP Dreamcolor, Avid Artist Color, Avid Transport [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller